oilman

Oil advice and recommendations here

is it true that olive oil is no good for doing steak on a hot griddle? I was told it can burn and ruin the taste of the steak. I only found this out like a week ago...

Only if you use the green Extra Vigrin oil. It's used for drizzling on pasta and salads, not cooking! You need the golden coloured "normal" olive oil!

Have you tried cooking a steak with Silkolene Pro S? Comes out really tasty....

Only if you use the green Extra Vigrin oil. It's used for drizzling on pasta and salads, not cooking! You need the golden coloured "normal" olive oil!

Have you tried cooking a steak with Silkolene Pro S? Comes out really tasty....

thats the stuff i was using, green extra virgin :lol: i thought i had been buying dodgy steak for ages until i was told about this :shock:

Yes mate, Extra Virgin is for flavour only :D

Fillet steak has no fat, so needs a brushing of oil, but try a half/half blend of Virgin and normal olive oil and it won't burn, or clarified butter :D

Try a cut with more fat on it (and therefore more flavour!) and it won't stick either. T bones, rib eye etc etc.

Dudes, key things to remember about Steakage -

The cut - go to a butchers or farm shop, supermarket cr@p is either full of fat or salt for preservative (this makes the steak go tough when cooked)

Cooking - temperature is critical, brush with oil and pepper but also get oil very hot in the pan before adding the meat, it needs to 'sizzle'

Season with Maldon sea salt while it's resting - Nothing wrong with marinades but you can't beat a nice steak cooked in olive oil with a bit of sale and pepper!

Dudes, key things to remember about Steakage -

The cut - go to a butchers or farm shop, supermarket cr@p is either full of fat or salt for preservative (this makes the steak go tough when cooked)

Cooking - temperature is critical, brush with oil and pepper but also get oil very hot in the pan before adding the meat, it needs to 'sizzle'

Season with Maldon sea salt while it's resting - Nothing wrong with marinades but you can't beat a nice steak cooked in olive oil with a bit of sale and pepper!

Apparently Stilton and steak is nice too. Dont like Stilton, but would be willing to give this a try. Anyone tried this?

Yeah Stilton has been partnered with steak for years. Never had a stilton burger? Lush :D

I used to absolutely hate Stilton, made me puke, but as you get older, you aquire tastes for things and Stilton's one of them :wink:. Get a really good stilton (not tesco schitt as Steve says) and it will change your opinion of it :D

Agreed on the salt and pepper Steve..... have you tried peppered fillet steak skewers on the BBQ? You really can't beat that :D

Best steak I ever had was in Tuscany, Italy. It was literally just thrown on the griddle 2 mins each side and nothing esle, but I've not tasted a better one since. So as you say, it's all in the ingredients!

I love the way this thread has gone from Engine oil advice, to cooking meat and then to cheese is the space of three pages :D

Corrado-Forum.Net 8)

is it true that olive oil is no good for doing steak on a hot griddle? I was told it can burn and ruin the taste of the steak. I only found this out like a week ago...

^^And the prize goes too.....3corsameal for a random question which changed the course of the topic. :clap:

what oil temps should i be seeing on a 64k mile 1.8 G60 Golf Rallye Engine with a Stage 4 Super charger and jabba chip, BMC CDA Induction kit and a Front Mount Intercooler, with no oil cooler?

I have no idea what oil is in the engine as my oil change was done by vince at stealth racing.

Thanx in advance. :)

I'm not sure mate so I thought I'd post and ask :) so G60 owners please help me out and post up your oil temps

The highest I've seen mine is 130 degrees C is this normal for the G60? as I know they run hot any way.

What would you recommend for a 1994 Vr6 with 140,000 miles on the clock, fast road use, but it has been using oil like a bastad recently :(

Also, can you recommend a good gearbox oil, cheers

Just topped it up with Castrol GTX 10w40. As for use, I last checked it about 3 weeks ago and it was above halfway on the dipstick 'correct level' indicator bit, checked it yesterday and it was below the bottom line of the dipstick indicator (though there was still some on the dipstick itself), so it had used quite a lot!

You could try a good 5w-40 synthetic, though I dont know hopw it will affect use as it is a similar viscosity, but being synthetic will be more stable. You could go for a 10w-50, this will slow down usage.

Cheers

Guy.

hi just about to fit an oil cooler so hence new oil hope you can say weather the oil ive bought should be ok

Make Corrado

Model G60

Year Jreg (94 ?)

Engine size/type 1800 PG

Any mods 68 pully k.n panel filter sns chip stage 4 charger and soon to be fitted mocal oil cooler

Type of use (road/track) track never unless you call the odd race on the streets i drive hard sometimes but easy others mixed

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)on private road errrhmm i was doing 130mph which the oil then shot up to 130 deg C

on motorways at a steady 70-80 ish i see about 120 degC its only when i drive like a nun

60-70 on there i see 110 deg C

using Vw quatrum 5w 40w semi sinc

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine please i know the temps will come down with the oil cooler

but nice to have good oil in as well

cheers stu....

40 weight oil should be ok for upto 140'c but only if its a good quality semi or fully synthetic.

Anything over that and you will want a 50 weight.

I had my VR6 upto 148'c on the Nurburgring, i knew it was going to be hot on the oil side of things so i had 10W/60 shell helix synthetic in there.

Oil cooler next yr me thinks!

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

Sparks, You may want to try the Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 as it's better at dealing with heat than a 5w-40 and being fully synthetic means that it doesn't break down as quickly when hot. It will happily deal with temperatures of 120-130C. If you then add the oil cooler, the oil temp should be far lower than it is now. I really don't think you would need a 10w-60, especially with an oil cooler. There is also the Motul 300V 15w-50 which is very similar to the Silkolene, just a little thicker when cold.

Its a semi synthetic, the quality choice is for a full synthetic. They protect a lot better.

Cheers

Guy

Mr oilman, I wonder if you could recommend me an oil and I've just seen your latest deal which only runs for a few days. Here's the tech lowdown:

> 2.9 VR - 126,000 miles - head rebuild at ca. 100K

> Road use only

> It currently runs on the VW Synta Silver and probably uses about a litre every 1000 miles

> Mods are limited to a filter and exhaust so it's pretty much boggo standard

> I use the car for most things, daily short journeys, longer mway stuff and the occassional spirited drive over the local Ashdown Forest :shades:

> Temperatures get pretty low during the night as I live in a bit of a hollow - not sure if that affects the viscosity for cold starts

> Temps get up to 108-110 on motorways

I noticed all the recommendations on the website are high performing semis yet on this site you seem much keener on full synths. I'm amazed at how cheap the semis are when compared at what VW are charging for Synta Silver at the moment.

Thanks very much