Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Best door sound deadening

I've just ordered me some Second Skin Damplifier that's going to be stuck to the outer door-skin. I went for that rather than the Pro, as it's lighter and I really don't want to put too much weight into the doors.

I'll also be re-membraning the door with the new-style foam stuff.

However, I want to also get a layer of foam attached to the outer skin. I was thinking of using Second Skin Overkill, but it's not self-adhesive and that means it'll probably be a pain to get attached to the door.

I know Mr. Cheesewire's got some form of sticky-backed foam in his doors... can anybody suggest where I can get some from?

I just pulled all that off my doors mate because the weight of it all f'cked my door hinges. Probably not a problem for you as it don't use your car everyday though.

Yeah I used those self adhesive "black pads" that James had boxes and boxes of at the Scape. They seem to hold well and lasted for over 2 years no probs.

Be careful in there as it's easy for the glass to catch on things. I did that. It caught a bit of foam pad that wasn't stuck down properly and dragged it up the door and jammed the glass rigid. Took me a while to fix that little beauty I can tell you!!

Hmm, so you've taken all the sound deadening out completely? :lol:

I'm only going to be putting a single layer of Damplifier on the outer-skin and then covering with some lightweight foam. It should actually be a bit lighter than the Skinz stuff that's in the doors of the old C and they're not too heavy.

You had about 3 layers all over the shop in yours though, so can understand why you wanted rid! :lol:

Shame James has lost the love though - I'd have bought all my stuff from him otherwise... ho hum, will have to see if I can find it elsewhere.

I also need to find some stuff to clean the doors up with first. I guess like you, I used the thinners stuff James had last time...

not sure if it's the best for deadening noise, but i've used the new style foam carpet underlay for a bit of sound insulation, it weighs next to nothing and can be cut easy to any shape with good scissors, it sticks extreamly well with spray adhesive too!

it's made for sound insulation so it should do the job,some of it comes with the -db ratings too.

don't go to carpetright they rip people off on underlays and sell the oldskool heavy rubber shit.

can you guess i'm a carpet fitter yet?

Got me some neoprene pads and contact adhesive from Audioscape... as well as some Skinz wave-diffuser for not very much dosh. So I'll see what fits 8)