Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

Looking great 8) Think the Corrado wears red rather well- don't really like red as a rule, but red Cs look ace!

Thank you for the comments guys! :D

You need to get some of that spiky stuff they use in train stations for the rafters.

I was actually considering some form of firearm. :snipersmile:

What joke were you referring to Jim? Why do I get the feeling I'm going to regret asking that? :lol:

What joke were you referring to Jim? Why do I get the feeling I'm going to regret asking that? :lol:

Just something about getting Busy with people from Poland.

:tumbleweed:

I was the capitalisation that threw me. :)

Just something about getting Busy with people from Poland.

I was the capitalisation that threw me. :)

:roll: The old ones are the best. :lol:

Looking good, the colour and the steelies really do compliment each other, can't be many cars that make steel wheels look so good

Cheers Andy. :D

When I was at Motorspares this afternoon picking up some cleaning supplies I was looking at their alloys and they had a few sets that would look awesome on my car. But getting rid of the steelies would seem sacrilegious. They are just such a part of what makes my car what it is. It would look so wrong without them.

well done for sticking with the steelies and making it work.

Car looks very good.

Mine needs doing if you want more cleaning practice.

Would love to mate, but Reading is a bit far for me to travel. Perhaps next time I'm going down to Swansea I can stop off on the way. :D

Would love to mate, but Reading is a bit far for me to travel. Perhaps next time I'm going down to Swansea I can stop off on the way. :D

How about Crystal Palace? :lol:

How about Crystal Palace? :lol:

:lol: Hang on a minute. I'm not starting a valeting service or anything here. I'm flattered that you think I'm worthy to be let loose on your car with a sponge and bucket but you'll get more satisfaction from it if you do it yourself dude. You cheeky goit. :lol: :wink:

Hey guys, just putting out a call for help. Having a bit of bother with my car. I need to sort out this water leak and it looks as though a jubilee clip has been over tightened and now the thermostat housing is egg shaped. The thing is I need to get the bracket off beneath one of the good damn bolts has rounded off big style. I've tried an Irwins bolt grip and all it seems to be doing is chewing it up. I've even had it in our workshop up on the ramp today and I still can't shift it. None of the mechanics I work with are being helpful at all. They won't even touch it. Is there anyone near me with a bit more experience that could help out? Also I need to change my crank bolt which I think is best done as a two person job. The water leak is not so bad that I couldn't get the car out to someone. It's starting to get me down now because I can't enjoy my car until it's sorted. I've got all the parts and a pretty good selection of tools. Just need some help.

Cheers. Joe

Even further than he is :( I don't think crank bolt is two-man, my bro managed it on his own I'm pretty sure.

try the size smaller on the irwins, you might have to hammer it on though. I've done that a bunch of times, those gripper sockets really are very strong!

do you need a new stat housing? I can send you one FOC :salute:

Hey guys, just putting out a call for help. Having a bit of bother with my car. I need to sort out this water leak and it looks as though a jubilee clip has been over tightened and now the thermostat housing is egg shaped. The thing is I need to get the bracket off beneath one of the good damn bolts has rounded off big style. I've tried an Irwins bolt grip and all it seems to be doing is chewing it up. I've even had it in our workshop up on the ramp today and I still can't shift it. None of the mechanics I work with are being helpful at all. They won't even touch it. Is there anyone near me with a bit more experience that could help out? Also I need to change my crank bolt which I think is best done as a two person job. The water leak is not so bad that I couldn't get the car out to someone. It's starting to get me down now because I can't enjoy my car until it's sorted. I've got all the parts and a pretty good selection of tools. Just need some help.

Cheers. Joe

where are you coming from? roughly

You only need a 2nd person to have someone stomp on the brakes to lock the crank b4 cracking off the crank bolt.

Otherwise it is a one man job.One man with a large torque bar that is.

Can you take a pic of the rounded bolt?

Not really sure where you mean..

irwins failed huh..

:|

poor show.

if you can get it down to sunny kent id be more than willing to help. Where exactly in suffolk are you?

We're about 10mins from Maidstone

Gav

Wow, thanks guys. I'm about 7 miles away from Bury St Edmunds. I'm sure I could make it down to Kent Peanut. :D I visit friends in Canterbury every now and again and it's not too bad a drive. Honestly mate you'd really be helping me out.

Basically just below the Thermo housing there is like a bracket with three bolts going into it. Two vertical and one horizontal. I can't see that there is a way to get the housing off without taking the bracket off first (although I may be wrong on that of course). Anyway, it's the horizontal bolt that is giving me grief. The pipes coming off the power steering pump are in the way and also the coolant pipe going into the thermo housing (although that of course could be disconnected but that would involve draining out the coolant which I was hoping to do after the bracket is off). Making it difficult to hammer anything onto it. Or even swing a wrench for that matter.

Bentley just refers to it as an adjustment bracket on 19.3.

Cheers for the offer Boost Monkey but I already have a replacement housing. :D

Regarding the crank bolt I'd just feel a lot more confident in the precedure with the help of someone who has a better idea of what they are doing. It probably is quite simple but I've never done anything like that before and it's not the kind of thing I want to get wrong.

If you've got space to work mate I'm happy to come over and get my hands dirty.... might even help with the car as well! :lol:

Seriously amazed the bolt grippers didn't work, mine have never failed to get a bolt off. Don't forget they are designed to chew up the old bolt as it takes it off.

Just let me know!

*edit* I've also never worked on a G60..... but it can't be that hard right?

I can't believe the grip has failed myself. But It looks as though it may get to the point of no return where even the bolt grip runs out of grip. It's proper rusted in.

Mic_VR are you free next Sunday? If so that would be a good day for me if you can spare some time. :D G60s aren't complicated. Just rusty and old.... :lol:

Ok, had a day off yesterday so decided to have another go at the car. Still can't get that bracket off but with a bit of WD-40, brute force, and bad language I managed to pull it round enough to just about gain access to the screw on the jubilee clip. So untightened that and disconnected the bottom hose and drained the coolant out. With that hose now out of the way it allowed me to have a good look and it appears the water pump is shot to sh!t and my leak is not just caused by the fecked hose. I don't really know how I didn't notice before but the pump is basically white. I'll put some pictures up when I get home.

Am I right in thinking that to gain access to the pump I'm going to need to take the alternator and the charger off? I know the precedure for removing both but those who have done it before how much of a pain in the ass is it? I'm still at a stage where I could just replace the hose, fill it up with coolant, and then take it to a garage. Which I have to say on account of how well this has gone so far I'm leaning towards but at the same time I can't be bothered to shell out for it.

Oh, and to add insult to injury I have found a massive nail embedded in my tyre. Beautiful.

Cheers guys. Joe

alternator,charger and charger bracket off.

Not hard.

Just be methodical.

btw

Charger tensioner can be a nightmare to get back on.

Lots of swearing for that without the proper tool.

The pump is split or something?

Stick with it mate,you may as well get to grips with these things if your going to keep the car.

I'd take the front of the car off as it sounds like you could use the elbow room.

my 2p.

Mic_VR are you free next Sunday? If so that would be a good day for me if you can spare some time. :D G60s aren't complicated. Just rusty and old.... :lol:

If you mean this sunday mate, I'm already trying to fix my own car, but the following weekend I've got a completely free one (i think) if that helps?

If you mean this sunday mate, I'm already trying to fix my own car, but the following weekend I've got a completely free one (i think) if that helps?

That would be really good mate. I have every Sunday off. Honestly, any time you could spare would be brilliant.

Cheers dirtytorque, I'll get some pictures up later. I'm not sure if it has split or what really. The previous owner had all the pipes changed but not the pump so maybe something got disturbed then? :shrug: