Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

Looking good matey, those 8v's are a dream to work on when compared to the Corrado. So much room to work in.

Next cambridge meet in two weeks tomorrow, doubt I'll be there though as that's the weekend before my wedding so I'll be doing stuff for that. They're a pretty good bunch though down at fendubbers so get yourself along if you're free, I'll definitely be at the one in May as that'll be the last time the C is going to be in one piece for a while! :grin:

Cool matey, bet you can't wait for the turbo conversion! Oh, and the wedding! :wink: :lol: If you ever find yourself in need of a spare pair of hands (with the car) give me a shout. :D I have a large bar for undoing things and large torque wrench for doing them up again. :cheers:

Right, engine now looks like this:

2wpnucg.jpg

Started it up and it ran! :D Awesome I thought, so I let it idle then I put it in gear. But when I gave it some throttle it started to splutter then it rolled forward and died. Made it precisely this far out of the garage:

2vmy2hj.jpg

:lol:

Turned it over a couple of times and it struggled but wouldn't start at all. Upon closer inspection it's leaking fuel where the hose connects to the fuel rail, a lot of fuel. :roll: I've got some hose and clips left over from the G60 so I'll sort it out tomorrow. I'm cold and I can't see anything.

Right, changed the fuel hose which was cracked to shoite. No wonder it was leaking. Still wouldn't run so the only thing I thought it could be was the timing. After several conversations with Toad I got a new cam belt on there and got it timed again. It's running now but it idles at 2k rpm. Not the worst problem I've ever had with a car but a very annoying one. I've spent a little while now poking and prodding to no avail. Tom has given me some stuff to go on but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas? :shrug:

If the idle is high then it's likely to be leaking air somewhere. Did you put a new inlet manifold gasket on?

Yeah, put a new gasket on there on and torqued it up correctly. I'm starting to think it must be the ignition timing like you say Steve. Ruled most other things out now. This is just never ending! :( As soon as I think I'm done something else c*cks up. :( Oh well, I'm having a break. I've exhausted myself on this bl**dy car for the last week.

You need a strobe gun to set the ignition timing up correctly or you can just turn the dizzy till the idle comes down to around 1000rpm and the take it to a garage for them to set it up.

Oh yeah check the throttle is fully closed as well.

just turn the dizzy till the idle comes down to around 1000rpm

That's a good idea. I checked the throttle already mate. Might just have one more go at it on Sunday and see. I suppose I should be thankful it's at least running now. Could be worse....

are you sure you havn't introduced an air leak somewhere?

easy to miss something when putting everything back..

Throttle cable set correctly?

I put some Johnny Cash on and I've calmed down a bit now. :lol: I'm gonna go over everything again. In fact I may even strip all the intake system down again and just start over. I've not got this far with it just to give up. I'm sure it will be the timing though. I remember I posted earlier about how easy it is to time a PB engine and I'm usually a victim of my own over confidence in most other things. :lol:

Hold on a minute mate... have you actually gone through the ignition timing procedure yet?

If not then do that before stripping things down again, it's probably just out slightly....

Ok, I'll check the timing again before I dismantle anything. Just to confirm to turn the dizzy on one of these do you just undo that Clamp at the bottom and turn it? I've only ever done this on a 9A before and that's obviously a slightly different set up.

Ok, I'll check the timing again before I dismantle anything. Just to confirm to turn the dizzy on one of these do you just undo that Clamp at the bottom and turn it? I've only ever done this on a 9A before and that's obviously a slightly different set up.

Yeah just slacken the nut off a touch with the engine running, turn it as required and then nut it up again. don't forget you need it up to temp and the BTS temp sender disconnected. IIRC?? Or if your just doing it roughly just do it without temp disconnect and up to temp. :shrug:

Yeah just slacken the nut off a touch with the engine running, turn it as required and then nut it up again. don't forget you need it up to temp and the BTS temp sender disconnected. IIRC?? Or if your just doing it roughly just do it without temp disconnect and up to temp. :shrug:

Oh cool, cheers for that. It won't take long to get up to temp idling at 2k! :lol:

Yes they do. But I've never touched it and I doubt it would have moved by accident so I haven't tried adjusting it. Will have a look if the problem turns out not to be the ignition timing. See, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's the timing. That's the only thing that I could have messed up. I didn't adjust anything else.

Edit: Ok, not the ONLY thing I could have messed up but the thing I could have messed up that's likely to cause this problem. :lol:

Yes they do. But I've never touched it and I doubt it would have moved by accident so I haven't tried adjusting it. Will have a look if the problem turns out not to be the ignition timing. See, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's the timing. That's the only thing that I could have messed up. I didn't adjust anything else.

Edit: Ok, not the ONLY thing I could have messed up but the thing I could have messed up that's likely to cause this problem. :lol:

Ok...

:)

:( I'm not having much luck with this. Right, pretty sure it isn't an air leak. Checked everything. Even got as far as taping up things that I thought even remotely suspect. So went back to the timing. Have timed up the marks on the crank shaft pulley and intermediate shaft exactly spot on and the rotor arm isn't at TDC according to the mark on the distributor. The edge of the rotor arm lines up with the mark, it should be the center right? Undid the clamp but couldn't get the dizzy to turn. Thought it best to just leave it there. I can feel my enthusiasm starting to wane a but again. I just generally feel that despite my best efforts I've made a real pig's ear of this.

u give up real easy. :)

get a set of mole grips and clamp them on the neck of the dizzy to give you some leverage.

It will budge eventually.

Your nearly home.

get a set of mole grips and clamp them on the neck of the dizzy to give you some leverage.

This from the man who broke a dizzy! :lol:

I know guys, I agree. I am giving up too readily here. I just need a break from it I guess. All I've done as soon as I've got home from work for about the last two weeks is fix one problem only to create/find another. But like you say, I reckon one more concerted effort and I'll be there.

This from the man who broke a dizzy! :lol:

:lol: Er, is that true? I could do with knowing before I go out and break mine! :lol:

Yeah but he was breaking the whole car and didn't need it. It's pretty difficult to break a dizzy I would of thought. get some wWD40 on there and give it some light taps and loosen the bolt right off with the engine off and paint mark it just in case it moves suddenly.