Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

true the repair would have to be perfect, but nearly all the pressure is on the top retaining cap so you might get away with it yet

need to check the tappet recess for deformation too, that'd be a harder fix, fingers crossed eh

The car is looking minty fresh tho! 8)

Cheers James, I'm well pleased with it. I'm loving the tightness of all the rubber bits I've installed! :norty: Just can't wait to drive it.

The head is a set back but hopefully won't hold me up for too long.

true the repair would have to be perfect, but nearly all the pressure is on the top retaining cap so you might get away with it yet

need to check the tappet recess for deformation too, that'd be a harder fix, fingers crossed eh

To be honest mate I'm pretty sure I'm going to either get my old head reconditioned or find a better one second hand and recondition that. If I get Chris's one repaired I'm just going to worry about it the whole time and I just can't be dealing with that. The whole point of this rebuild is to relieve as much of the worry as possible. :lol:

Haven't looked closely at the tappet recess yet.... :pale: Do I want to?

It could be repaired, but I would guess the cost would be prohibitive. An old school engineering place might be able to help you. We've had complex head castings which cracked welded up before.

Probably easiest to get another. :(

With those bushes, I used a big pair of sockets and a vice and pushed them in.

Will be lovely to take it out for it's first drive when you do finish with all the lovely new stuff. :)

I would imagine the cost of the repair would come close to if not exceed the cost of just getting another head done.

On the bushes I just used a flat bladed screw driver to push it through, was pretty easy once I got the technique. But by the time I got to the last one I'd lost the strength in my left arm and suffered a massive cramp and couldn't move two of my fingers for a while. :lol: I did try using a vice but it was obviously far too sophisticated a technique for me as I couldn't get it to work. :lol:

I will be so excited to turn that key for the first time. The first drive won't be the best though as I suspect the tracking is going to be a little on the sh!t side. I've just got to stop myself from getting over excited and rushing the last bit as I am prone to do.

But by the time I got to the last one I'd lost the strength in my left arm and suffered a massive cramp and couldn't move two of my fingers for a while.

:camp: :lol:

But by the time I got to the last one I'd lost the strength in my left arm and suffered a massive cramp and couldn't move two of my fingers for a while.

At least when it happens to me it's car related. :wink: :lol:

At least when it happens to me it's car related. :wink: :lol:

:lol: Mine is car park related..... :tongue:

Just got home late from a long day. Not very pleased, head was sent via DHL, I'll have to check but as far as I'm aware it was only insured for like £50! How the hell did they do that to it! It would of had to of hit something at an angle very bloody hard! WTF I mean look at that steel stud!

Just got home late from a long day. Not very pleased, head was sent via DHL, I'll have to check but as far as I'm aware it was only insured for like £50! How the hell did they do that to it! It would of had to of hit something at an angle very bloody hard! WTF I mean look at that steel stud!

agreed - look just how the top of the stud has been totally mashed in from the impact. it would have had to have hit something really solid and hit it really hard to do that.

i had problems when i had my engine delivered - do couriers just not seem to realise how much they f*ck up peoples days when things like this happens, really makes me angry :censored:

i recon you'd be best off getting another head as the general census seems to be on here. really sorry you're having these problems pal, don't loose heart - the rado will put a big smile on your face once it's all finished :grin:

Sorry for venting on your thread Joe, it's you who should be annoyed. Anyway I've calmed down now. You have a level headed PM. :D

I think the head from my old engine is still loitering about at Voodoo if you need one, had done 134K miles but it was working ok as far as I could tell. If you are interested I can get some pictures of it to see if it's any use to you

Sorry for venting on your thread Joe, it's you who should be annoyed. Anyway I've calmed down now. You have a level headed PM. :D

Don't worry about that mate. Like I said the thing that annoys me the most is that it's such a waste of a good cylinder head. If someone had just done their job in a more professional manner it needn't have happened.

I think the head from my old engine is still loitering about at Voodoo if you need one, had done 134K miles but it was working ok as far as I could tell. If you are interested I can get some pictures of it to see if it's any use to you

Cheers for the offer mate. Think I'm already sorted for another one though. :D

i recon you'd be best off getting another head as the general census seems to be on here. really sorry you're having these problems pal, don't loose heart - the rado will put a big smile on your face once it's all finished :grin:

Too right mate. Not a moment too soon either!

Theres a good engineering place called Dykes Engineering (no joke) in Ipswich. They did the head on my Polo GT when it warped.

Might be worth giving them a call, they are a little old school and take there time but fairly cheap.

Well, been speaking to the legend that is Cracknell at work and he says just right it off. If I'm honest I tend to go with what he says. By the time I've paid to get that one fixed I could have got another one done that I wouldn't need to worry about. So, at the moment I'm gathering knackered cylinder heads and damaged pistons. :( :( :(

Well, been speaking to the legend that is Cracknell at work and he says just right it off. If I'm honest I tend to go with what he says. By the time I've paid to get that one fixed I could have got another one done that I wouldn't need to worry about. So, at the moment I'm gathering knackered cylinder heads and damaged pistons. :( :( :(

Time for a table with pistons as beer holders and ashtrays!

Time for a table with pistons as beer holders and ashtrays!

Yep, already in the pipeline. :lol:

Sounds like the best option to be honest... sad though :(

Sounds like the best option to be honest... sad though :(

Tis very sad. :( Had a good look at the box today as Chris needed pics to send to the courier and you can clearly see where the stud punctured the box. Must have had a hell of a knock!

I have my old head for sale here if you still need one!

Cheers for the offer matey but looks like I'm sorted for a replacement at the mo. :D

hey pal, hows progress coming here - have you managed to get anything else sorted?.....

hope all is well :)

:D I'm off on holiday today so you're just going to have to content yourself with this pic of the progress so far. Just getting everything in the bay ready for the engine to just be dropped in. Then I will put all my effort into getting the engine rebuilt. As you can see probably only another day's work and it will be there. 8)

2mc6rug.jpg

Looking good, nearly there!

Must be itching to drive it mate, enjoy the hols!

Cheers mate! I'm back from holiday now and am going to spend all of tomorrow working on the bay. :D Will update with some nice piccies.