Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

Well, thought I'd get rid of the company car and get something that's actually fun to drive to ferry me backwards and forwards to boring old work. Affirmation that you can keep your brand new cars. I'd still rather drive a '91 VW! :D

wtx8k0.jpg

vs2of6.jpg

1zccsvq.jpg

Thinking about stealing the steelies off the Rado and sticking them on the Golf. They suit mk2s better I think.

I try not to think about fuel bills. To be fair though there won't be that much difference in cost from running this than running the company car. I still had to pay private mileage and the Inland Revenue had their hands a little deeper in my pockets. Plus this way I'm spending money on something I actually own rather than spending money on something somebody else owns.

I'd still rather drive a '91 VW! :D

Sounds more like a glutton for punishment if you ask me! :lol:

Looks very good mate, loved my previous mk2's.

So, now you've gone to the dark side of having a daily are you ever gonna finish the Red Racer? :norty: :lol:

Only time will tell. Probably lots and lots of time.... :lol: The Rado is in ok shape really. I'd love some new wheels and some paint but having just put an offer in on a house I doubt any of that is gonna happen this year. The only other thing that is niggling me now is the clutch but it's not that bad. I'm probably just being fussy with that. Oh, and I STILL need to get that front engine mount sorted.

I'd still rather drive a '91 VW! :D

Sounds more like a glutton for punishment if you ask me! :lol:

Looks very good mate, loved my previous mk2's.

This is my second mk2. They are a lot of fun! :D It's amazing how much nicer that 8v engine feels with a nice big supercharger strapped to the front of it though....

Hmmmm... so much for the Golf not turning into another project! :lol: The starter motor decided to eat itself this morning so thought I'd better give some other bits some attention while I'm at it. Picking up a replacement starter tomorrow and hopefully getting it fitted tomorrow if there's time. Also got new plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap, arm, and a new cam cover gasket. Getting the engine cleaned on Saturday as it's rather oily (due to shot cam cover gasket) before fitting that little lot on Sunday.

Still really pleased with it though. The body work is so good I'm tempted by a VR conversion.... :lol: :D

Still really pleased with it though. The body work is so good I'm tempted by a VR conversion.... :lol: :D

I might know someone with a spare VR6 knocking around in a few months if you interested Joe? Sure I can sort some mates rates! :norty:

I would say, unfortunately once a car is more than ~5 years this kind of work will be necessary. My missus' mk5 even broke down the other day.... that's why I'm not replacing the Corrado, I'd rather repair that then something else. :lol:

Need to ditch those wheels and get some Sebrings on it - would look excellent on those :) Looks like a cracking motor though.. lots of folks getting dailies all of a sudden it seems :)

Need to ditch those wheels and get some Sebrings on it - would look excellent on those :) Looks like a cracking motor though.. lots of folks getting dailies all of a sudden it seems :)

My new daily is a very fetching pair of clarkes. :?

Need to ditch those wheels and get some Sebrings on it - would look excellent on those :)

Yes mate! That's exactly what I've been thinking! :D

Mic - may take you up on the VR. Would have to seriously consider the insurance situation though! :pale: :lol:

It's proper straight, I'm not at all bothered about the starter, picked a new one up today and once that's fitted it'll be back to it's old self hopefully. One of the (few) joys of working in the motor trade. Easy access to lots of reasonably priced parts! :D

Spent this afternoon working on the golf. It now has a new battery, new starter motor, new plugs, new ignition leads, new dizzy cap, new rotor arm and a new cam cover gasket. :D

Can't think of many better ways to spend a Sunday afternoon:

k50k3.jpg

fu6pi1.jpg

The Golf runs like you wouldn't believe now. There are brand new cars on our forecourt that don't run as well as it does now! :D

...with no fewer than 12 advisories! :pale: :lol:

:epicfail: .......... or not as the case may be....... but only just by the sounds of it! :lol:

Looks like a fine collection you've got going in those pics Joe :thumbleft:

Looks like a fine collection you've got going in those pics Joe :thumbleft:

Why thank you. I can't quite believe that I managed to get another Dub passed Lucy.... :lol: Think I'm gonna try a Rado VR next. :D If I can persuade her that she wants one....

Um, oh dear. It appears my Golf has suffered a slight head gasket failure. It's been using a lot of coolant recently but I thought this was just due to a flange that was weeping. It has always produced a bit of white smoke but has been running ok so put that down to condensation. But yesterday I noticed when I was parking up that it was smoking pretty badly even though it had just had the run to work. You know how after you've spent a lot of time with cars you kind of develope a sixth sense for this kind of thing, well I wasn't at all surprised when I checked the coolant and oil this morning to see both were way down and there was a load of mayo under the filler cap. Also when I took the header cap off the system still had loads of pressure in it despite having been left over night. It ran perfectly the whole way home yesterday so I'm hoping I've caught it before it got too bad. Good thing I've got Sunday and Monday off work!!!! Sad thing is I'm quite looking forward to doing another head gasket. It's fun. :cuckoo: :lol: Good excuse to change the cam belt and other stuff like that also.

Don't have a car now though as the Rado is on Classic Car insurance and I'm not covered for commuting and have a limited mileage. Another lift from a rather grumpy Lucy this morning.... :lol:

Started the Golf up this morning, it's running but like a bag of nails now. Gonna get the head off today hopefully. Just depends on how bad the dreaded downpipe nuts are. :pale:

Feel for ya mate, my "insignificant" water leak decided to turn into Niagra yesterday... filled it 3 times to do 50 miles and was empty by time I got home...

Refilled it today and empties the header tank in about 10 minutes... so I have a "Head flange" change to get done this week or no GTi-Fest for me :(

It's a total pain in the ass mate. I've stripped it right back and I'm now at the point where it's time to tackle the exhaust manifold nuts of death. Had to leave it there though as had to visit my mum. If I don't spend tomorrow with Lucy I will probably be killed so doubt I'll have any time to spend on it and then I am at work until next Sunday. My mate (who just so happens to be one of the best mechanics I know) has very kindly offered to come over and help me next Sunday though so all should be good by the middle of week after next.

Here are a few pics from today's adventures:

I'm so glad I have a garage. That huge oil stain was from when my girlfriend's dad changed the oil in his Landrover by the way....

2i1o9xt.jpg

Mk2 Golf GTi Hellman's edition:

2cct4hz.jpg

The crankcase ventilation hose was full of Mayo as well. :gag:

Space!

10yl05v.jpg

33ermlc.jpg

a draper tools man by the looks of it! feel for you that the headgasket has gone. i wish i could do stuff like this. i rekon i could do the mechanical side of it i just dont think i could dare time it back up lol

Timing an 8v gti engine is really easy and not scary at all. You just have make sure you set the proper tension when put the belt back on. Always set TDC using the timing marks on the sprockets before you take the belt and cylinder head off and you're laughing. I love doing this sort of thing, it's very satisfying when it's all back together and (hopefully) running again. :D

The cylinder head is off. And just in the nick of time by the looks of things! Here are some pics of this morning's work:

2rog7wy.jpg

348jeo1.jpg

Good job I have understanding in-laws! :lol:

2vn05ud.jpg

A heart warming sight:

2zo9dm1.jpg

Oh look, I win! :D

1yv5e9.jpg

What's inside cylinder number two?

ou1wns.jpg

5aowma.jpg

2wox0jn.jpg

And I owe it all to Sonicriot13's patented cylinder head loosamajig. :cheers:

2usekbt.jpg

Gonna start stripping the head down this afternoon. Then it's off to be checked over by a professional and skimmed.