Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Credit crunch? I'm more concerned about my gearbox crunch!

Well following discussions with a few people, especially Davidwort at stanford it would appear my gearbox could possibly have a bent selector fork which is making it difficult to find 3rd without a horrible crunching noise.

As such I've been trying not to drive the car to far for fear of doing more damage, but unfortunately tuesday I had to use it for work and it is getting a lot worse. To the point that it is now almost impossible to find 3rd when the car is stationary.

Is anyone on here good with gearboxes? Hopefully not too far from east anglia so I could bring the car over to you to have a look at it.

OR

Does anyone know of a good gearbox mechanic in the cambridge area that I can take it to as I really would rather get this sorted now, before the whole 'box eats itself.

OR

Should I just ctart looking for another box from somewhere?

Comments/Advice as per usual, all appreciated

Nearest Gearbox expert to Cambridgeshire is Vincey boy at Stealth.

I'd say it's either a shagged 2nd to 3rd synchro ring or the cable change system. Is there a lot of slop in the shift?

Have you lifted the gear stick gaiter to see if the circlip is there on the thingy thing bit?

I've never seen a bent selector fork in a VR6 02A, but stranger things have happened in Vegas.....

the odd thing about this box was that it would go in but with a bit of in-out persuasion and jiggling about, the same was true moving the selector tower levers by hand (all with the engine off) so it's not cables/gearlever related. Even with everything lined up and having engaged 3rd once it would repeat the same problem when going back to neutral and trying again (with engine off)

I've never felt one behave like that, especially when you said it hadn't got progressively worse over time in engaging gears and 1st to second seemed good.

Initially I thought the same as Kev, knackered sync on 3rd gear but it's more like it's catching on something when trying to select 3rd. All the other gears are fine and I've adjusted up the linkages so very precise for everything else.

Have you lifted the gear stick gaiter to see if the circlip is there on the thingy thing bit?

:lol: - Yeah, all clips present and correct.

I'd look for a new box. Maybe even a 6 speed?? 02S boxes should fit ??

First its finding one, then I've not got the garage to have it sat around making it fit. Has anyone on here done it already?? Stu, do you know what vehicles the O2S is fitted to and I'll have a hunt around.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I have no experience with gearboxes but David spent ages looking at it, inbetween chats with Crazydave, and like he said it's one he's never come across before.

Maybe I'll give Vince a ring, see if I can pop it over to him at some point.

Cheers for the advice so far guys. :notworthy:

First its finding one, then I've not got the garage to have it sat around making it fit. Has anyone on here done it already?? Stu, do you know what vehicles the O2S is fitted to and I'll have a hunt around.

Golf Mk5s, Tourans and new A3s. As far as I can tell, they are the same physical size and shape as the 02A. The have a single final drive unlike the 02M which has two. I'm sure I've seen one fitted to a Jetta with very little effort. The only possible stumbling block is the drive flanges, but I think they might well be interchangeable with the 02A ones, but I may be talking out of my bottom.

You might as well stick with a replacement 02A box as they're not megabucks to get second hand. M15 VW and/or bigpants baby often have them kicking about.

Labour-wise, it's a bit of a ball-ache, but if your chains need doing anyway, it's a good opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and save yourself some long-term dosh.

All depends on how droopy your flexible friend is at the moment though.

Either way, I'd give Vince a call and get his opinion on things. He'll almost certainly be able to acquire a replacement 'box if needs be.

So what's a good price for a second hand VR6 box then?

I'll be keeping my eye out on here/ebay.

So what's a good price for a second hand VR6 box then?

I'll be keeping my eye out on here/ebay.

Depends, I wouldn't pay more than £100. I actually paid £35 recently, but some people try to sell them for closer to £200.

I know there is one about to become free on a car that you could use for spares. It has had lots of torque through it recently so it probably will be getting a bit sleepy. I've got a spare one too but I need to use it in conjunction with my current box to build a decent unit for my vr. I could let you have some of the chaff that's left over afterwards ;)

I was quite surprised by the exact manner of how shonkey your box felt at stanford, and just wonder if a circlip has broken and is allowing the 3rd gear set to move on the shaft or something. it's a bit like my 5th gear issue which I think is caused by the bolt undoing from the end of the shaft.

We were talking about whipping your engine out for chains and cams etc anyway, so it could just get a different box thrown on when we reassemble I suppose. While we're at it, we can bolt the turbot manifold on and sort out the charge cooler and you could introduce me to your sister/mum etc.....

I've got a spare one too but I need to use it in conjunction with my current box to build a decent unit for my vr. I could let you have some of the chaff that's left over afterwards ;)

I was quite surprised by the exact manner of how shonkey your box felt at stanford, and just wonder if a circlip has broken and is allowing the 3rd gear set to move on the shaft or something. it's a bit like my 5th gear issue which I think is caused by the bolt undoing from the end of the shaft.

We were talking about whipping your engine out for chains and cams etc anyway, so it could just get a different box thrown on when we reassemble I suppose. While we're at it, we can bolt the turbot manifold on and sort out the charge cooler and you could introduce me to your sister/mum etc.....

Cheers for the offer of sloppy seconds mate, I'm honoured! :wink:

If you're going to tear apart a perfectly decent 'box why don't we just swap the spare you're got with mine and then you can wreck that.

I'm going to double check that something hasn't come loose/circlip missing as I'm off work from tomorrow till tuesday so need something to keep me busy.

And for your info, if you're thinking of bringing presents, my mum likes a Tia Maria but my sister is more of a vodka girl....

Cheers for the offer of sloppy seconds mate, I'm honoured! :wink:

If you're going to tear apart a perfectly decent 'box why don't we just swap the spare you're got with mine and then you can wreck that.

I'm going to double check that something hasn't come loose/circlip missing as I'm off work from tomorrow till tuesday so need something to keep me busy.

And for your info, if you're thinking of bringing presents, my mum likes a Tia Maria but my sister is more of a vodka girl....

I'm not 100% that my spare box is decent though. Need to whip the end plate off and have a quick look inside.

The circlip I was talking about would be deep in the box, you could pull the shift tower out of the top, just to look at it and stuff see if there's anything obvious with that.

I'll bring both, just to hedge my bets ;)

Any idea on when you might like to start this excercise?

I'll bring both, just to hedge my bets ;)

Any idea on when you might like to start this excercise?

I'll check to see when's best with them........

Oh you mean the car stuff! We need to sort out ordering the chains I guess. I'd like to look at it before the Karmann trip as I'm not sure people want to be travelling with me crunching everytime I go for 3rd.

I guess in July would be best for me. Nothing really major planned that month.

I'm happy to lend a hand if/when things get under way... would be good to see the inside of the box.

And while we're there, we can look at the car too :norty: :lol:

You 2 are animals, they have feelings to you know!

And the cars will care that we're not paying them enough attention. Are you doing your chains before the Karmann trip Dom? Looks like the need to book a couple of days off work and we'll do all three cars at the same time!

The plan is to get them done before the monster trip, yars.

I'd be game to take a few days off work and have a crack at both cars at once, but it'd be like the deaf leading the blind with out Mr. Toady's expertise :lol:

I'm not sure if he'll be ready to do his by then, or if he can get time off work though...

:)

Sadly I won't be in a position to buy the parts for mine till after the summer, but if you would both like a bit of 2-way rado stripping and fixing fun, then we could work out a long weekend, both come down to mine and we'll get on the case. The main benefits will be the tools, engine hoist(tractor), redundancy of labour while on some tasks, and the fact I have a vast quantity of parts knocking around. ;)

Can I call shotgun on your mum first, or do I have to wait till she's in line of sight?

Can I call shotgun on your mum first, or do I have to wait till she's in line of sight?

Only if I can call shotgun on his sister :lol:

It'd be brilliant if you bitches could write an article about the strip & rebuild for the Sprinter, complete with some pictures!

It'd be brilliant if you bitches could write an article about the strip & rebuild for the Sprinter, complete with some pictures!

Shut it you slag!

I've already told you I have a mamoth corrado from the brink article for you.

We could do a good article on the strip down and going over of Mic's relations though :norty: but point taken, we'll take pics etc.