Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Time to sell the Corrado?

Hi chaps,

I've got a RHD, UK spec, M-reg 1995 Corrado VR6 and I'm the 2nd owner from new and its got full VW service history (in the UK and Germany) and bar the CD/mp3/DAB player and foot pedals is completely standard (have LHD headlights fitted, but have original RHD headlights too).

So my question is, as I'm approaching the big 80,000 miles soonish, is it time to sell?

I've had the car since September 2007 when it had 63,000 miles so I've throughly enjoyed owning it...but I'm in two minds whether its time to sell up now before I start whacking more and more miles on the car and before you know it, its worth not much for a re-sale.

However, is there a car that I can buy which is as fast, reliable, and generally as 'cool' as a Corrado for the same amount of cash. I'm certainly not bored of the car, but maybe currently a tad nervous about its re-sale value, especially at the moment with the petrol crisis in the UK.

Cheers,

D.

My 2p - 80k means it's just getting broken in, considering there's Cs on here with 150K+ on them, still going strong.

Also, the Corrado market is on it's arse at the moment, not a good time to sell *any* C frankly, low mileage or not. I think you'll find the depreciation due to mileage will be negligible.

So I say keep it! Unless you're really just a bit bored of it, and want something new - in which case, give it to me. :)

Sell the car when you dont want it anymore, not because the mileage is getting slightly 'high'

Mines on 234,000 Km (around 140+k miles) and hasn't missed a beat (had the chains done though)...

As someone else said, sell it if you are looking for a change/need to get rid of it, but otherwise I'd keep hold of it..

whats the chance of teh market risin again?

i wanted to change cars myself,but the way corrados are priced i think i'd be strugglin to get anywhere near what i value the car @ i reckon :(

seems the only way i'd get max money for mine is to break it for bits,an i dont plan on doin that!!!

Now is not the time to sell anything remotely powerful or interesting. The market is extremely low and it is a definite buyer's market.

I'm in the same position. Umming and arrring about whether to sell the Passat workhorse or cherished Corrado.

Corrado wins everytime! :D

Corrado's are almost being given away at the minute, there is/was a vr6 in the for sale section for like £1700. It would seem that anything that is bigger than a 4 cylinder is a big no no because of petrol worries etc.

Although i have heard that prices are supposed to drop because the US & EU have told the big oil companies to increase production

just keep it if your not bored , and worry about thing s if they do happen not if they might happen , i really hate this mind block people have about mileage just enjoy youself lifes to short :D

mines got 158,000 and i bet it looks better and goes better

Ash

Ash

You mean than mine?! Or when your own car had lower mileage? :confused4: You've not even seen mine dude.

Cheers for the other comments chaps, I'm certainly not bored of it at all and its very reliable which is more than can be said for other Corrado's I seem to read about.

Its just that I'm coming back to the UK for a bit and my mates tell me that petrol prices are pretty crazy around my way - as of the rest of the UK - so its going to cost me double what it does over here in sunny Germany. Plus, lets be honest chaps, it ain't the cheapest car to run, this is partly my own fault as I insist on doing everything at a dealership. Something which I'll probably stop at 100,000miles.

Hi chaps,

However, is there a car that I can buy which is as fast, reliable, and generally as 'cool' as a Corrado for the same amount of cash. I'm certainly not bored of the car, but maybe currently a tad nervous about its re-sale value, especially at the moment with the petrol crisis in the UK.

D.

Well Jaguar XJR's are out there for £5k now, and E34 M5's are too, as is the occasional Mercedes C43 AMG. Both are a damn sight quicker than a Corrado, iconic and fairly reliable. All however will cost a lot more to own than your VR6. In my opinion there are few hatchback/coupe cars out there at the price point except the Integra Type-R or maybe the Leon Cupra R which will float your boat after a VR6.

I was also stunned to find a good selection of Audi S4's (the 2.7 twin turbo) ones on PistonHeads for around the 5k mark.... must admit I didn't expect that you could buy a car of that sort of power for that sort of money.

Wouldn't mind one at that sort of price!

I was also stunned to find a good selection of Audi S4's (the 2.7 twin turbo) ones on PistonHeads for around the 5k mark.... must admit I didn't expect that you could buy a car of that sort of power for that sort of money.

Wouldn't mind one at that sort of price!

i had one if you want running cost, the corrado is peanuts you can get a new vege engine for a vr for 1900 quid ,the turbos on the s4 were 700 each and a 28 hour job to do it that and a few other things is why i sold it , if you own one make sure you have 3k in the bank on stand by , in saying that it was the quickest car i have ever had it was fantastic fun , 60 in 4.8 and 172mph from a 4 door saloon it was not standard thou it had pretty much every mod going , one of them being 365mm full floating discs and 8 pot brembos for starters, i do miss the power but not the worry of buying new turbos etc.

yeah,the price of the cars dont matter ,its th runnin costs that hurt ya :(

i would love an s4,for some reason the avant appeals to me 8)

i had one if you want running cost, the corrado is peanuts you can get a new vege engine for a vr for 1900 quid ,the turbos on the s4 were 700 each and a 28 hour job to do it that and a few other things is why i sold it , if you own one make sure you have 3k in the bank on stand by , in saying that it was the quickest car i have ever had it was fantastic fun , 60 in 4.8 and 172mph from a 4 door saloon it was not standard thou it had pretty much every mod going , one of them being 365mm full floating discs and 8 pot brembos for starters, i do miss the power but not the worry of buying new turbos etc.

Yikes. That helps explain why the S4 is so cheap to buy. I think realistically i'd only ever consider one if I could afford to write off that £5,000 - like just have the car for a toy and if it broke badly, just sell it spares or repair.

Would be a great toy though - I really really like big understated saloon cars, and the sorts of cars that only car nuts know are quick! Something like this would fit the bill.

Astonishing it'll do over 170MPH though... like, bordering on shocking in fact.

Yikes. That helps explain why the S4 is so cheap to buy. I think realistically i'd only ever consider one if I could afford to write off that £5,000 - like just have the car for a toy and if it broke badly, just sell it spares or repair.

Would be a great toy though - I really really like big understated saloon cars, and the sorts of cars that only car nuts know are quick! Something like this would fit the bill.

Astonishing it'll do over 170MPH though... like, bordering on shocking in fact.

it was just redlining at that and it was running 400 bhp mind you i dont know how accurate the speedo is up that end , hence the vr is cheap to run and fix in my eyes :lol:

yeah,the price of the cars dont matter ,its th runnin costs that hurt ya :(

i would love an s4,for some reason the avant appeals to me 8)

you mean something like this

last one i promise just to show people they are more than capable of these speeds food for thought aye :)