waynos

waynes corrado

what were you gonna do with your plate? Im not sure what Im gonna do with mine

A number plate is made using three things, a reflective backing, the text & a clear plastic 3/4mm face. The plastic just gives the plate some body/strength but the law doesn't specify that the plate has to be solid. Thats just the way they've been made for years. I work for a sign company and we make number plates etc. for vehicles. What I'm suggesting is just to make a number plate reflective sticker & apply/print the text & add an optional clear laminate. The plate will only be less than 0.5mm thick & would look better on a smoothed front bumper. That's what I would do if I smoothed mine.

i was going to either have it mounted on the spoiler at the bottom one one side ( risky i know) or on brakets under the smoothed section. Still undecided so will see what looks best once painted

The biggest problem with mounting the plate lower is that it will disturb/lessen the air intake into the engine and that's not a good thing.

Nice progress 8) I've always thought about doing the smoothed bumper but didn't know what to do about indictors. Are you planning to relocate or go without?

Nick

I think a smoothed front bumper with fogs left in would be 8)

No it does state that they do have to be displayed, a white one on the front & a yellow one at the back. The law also states the size of plate, the font to be used & text height/spacing etc. It is covered pretty comprehensively but it does not state that a plastic plate has to be used.

Hi Wayne

Glad you got the vent, just aswell its for the passenger side, I soon realised after I sent it that they were handed. But then again, the picture taken was luckily the one I sent. Are you cutting the inner wing to actually make the air flow into the engine bay?

I am at the same stage as yourself with smoothing various items. I though I would keep the VW badge, saw yours and though, yeah, it can go! Why not. I also left my thread hanging with the handle choice, but was infact doing smooth doors, connected by solinoids. Probably going to have buttons under the mirrors TVR style and hook the boot to the same system so everything is de locked. Be intresting to know if you have experience with solinoids? I here Maplins supply the bits a nd pieces needed?

Are you deleting the side indicators? Be interesting to see the smooth front bumper finished, it makes sense to have everything smooth but think I 'll keep mine as it is.

What washer jets are you using? The ford type are round and not sure which ones to use and the exact mounting position. Will have a play when I get to smoothing the bonnett.

Probably going to remove the aerial for a different type, maybe BMW fin ??

Lastly, are you leaving the roof strips in place? It looks quite involved to smooth them and get them looking spot on, I just cant see a justification for them. Its one of them! lol

Keep up the good work

Rams

hey rams, yea ill be cutting a vent and making a funnel of somesort to cnanel air up to the filter. i am also going to use the buttons like tvrs - after all they do use our mirrors on their cars! as for solenoids i picked up some off ebay that are rated at 15lb pulling force, hopefully that should be enough. The switches do look crap though - lime green!

side repeaters will be goin but i havent decided where they will be relocated to lol

the washer jets will be mk4 golf heated ones. they mount underneath the bonnet out of sight - i cant be putting ford bits on my car :D

i did think about losing the ariel but for some reason i like it there. Also the roof strips are staying. It takes a lot of work to get those filled in. Need to be welded ideally as filler would crack out. Would be a long job welding in metal whilst not distorting the roof because of the heat

I didnt know TVR use our mirrors! I actually got stopped for ' no seat belt in my van today and though I would ask him about the side indicators. He didnt know for sure, but said, most cars dont have them so it must be ok>>??

I agree abot the roof strips, probably just need to change mine as they look tired. Bit my aerial base, its light grey and the plastic clip came off one day. I think the aerial looks good to, but will offer up a BMW type to see how it looks.

In the inner arch there are some recessed bits, I thought about cutting them out so the wing structure stays as strong as possible and air chanel towards the airbox. Have you smoothed the rear wiper hole? If so, did you plate it from underneath or smooth the surface and weld?

right got the wing vent in today

took the wing off and layed the vent on top, i drew around that in permanent marker

IMG_0057.jpg

heres what needed to be cut out

IMG_0056.jpg

hole cut and vent sat flush with wing

IMG_0058.jpg

prepped the edges for welding

IMG_0059.jpg

Tacked in. Then spend ages welding the whole thing up

IMG_0060.jpg

then finally filled and primed, still have loads more to do on it , ut its taking shape!

IMG_0061.jpg

Looks very good mate, how did you settle on location to wing before cutting? I'm keen to see what you do to the inner wing, keep us posted! Are you using etch primer?

haha cheers kempy i try my best!

rams i just had the vent in different places until i saw the position i liked. Also had a butchers on the vortex forums and they have a few different placements. I was going to have it so the middle vent was on the body line but something didnt look right. So glad i got a sprinter vent over the transporter vent!

ive used etch primer on all the bare metal parts then went over the top with filler primer

oh and i dont need to cut the inner wing , there is already a hole in it just behind the washer fluid bottle

well got the wing pretty much done, indicator smoothed off too.There were a few bits of rust that need grinding out but its all sorted! The heat hit me today, just wasnt comfortable working lol. tommorow i want to refit that wing, take the other off for smoothing and maye get the drivers door smoothed too. Hows yours coming along rams?

finally it feels like im getting somewhere!

welded up drivers side side repeater

IMG_0064.jpg

filled

IMG_0065.jpg

primed and guide coat

IMG_0066.jpg

flattened and painted

IMG_0067.jpg

bumper tow eye shaved! and painted

IMG_0068.jpg

heres the badgeless, seamless and smooth bumper in one shot

IMG_0069.jpg

vw badge ... bye bye

IMG_0070.jpg

other corner

IMG_0071.jpg

passenger side repeater gone

IMG_0072.jpg

and finally a couple of the wing vent

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Amazing work Wayne :notworthy:

Great when you can do it all yourself... at least you know it's done right :)

Did you say that you are going to pipe from the wing vent over to the air intake?

yes dan im going to make a fibreglass backing to channel the air from the vent to my air filter. Probably just as well im doing that as the inner wing looks poop behind the vent as it is

Hey, that wing turned out well, I know what you mean about the inner wing, im going to sleep on it and have another look tomorrow. My girlfriend laughed at me today as said I need to speed up to catch you up! Have you thought about pulling the arches? I have decided to go with it as the bumper lines up better plus no rubbage!

Have you found a place for the washer jets? I bet you cant wait to see this done with all the mods in the flesh! Will look show quality im sure :salute:

haha cheers mrbeige

rams there is no rush :D

id love to have flared arches but it would take me so long to do. i want it back on the road asap in one colour. would you believe i dont even drive it at the moment because it looks a state