Sign in to follow this  
nickycooke

Over-heating

Hey guys, just a quick Q... Ive got a 2ltr 16v & its prone 2 over-heating all the time... Theres plenty of water in the system & ma heaters work fine.. Ive heard these cars are prone to it, but i want 2 know wot everyone else does 2 try & keep temp down a bit :( ???... Would a cool running thermostat help :confused4: ??

Thanx :wave:

They're prone to running hot, but not overheating. Cars only overheat if there's something wrong ..

They're not prone to overheating at all if they're looked after properly!

Any information in the service history on when the water pump was last changed?

Not 2 sure mate as i used to have the 1.8 16v but i changed it for the 2ltr out a golf... It came from the scrap yard so not that sure on wot it had done to it... The engine supposedly had about 77,000 mile on it tho?... U think it could be the water pump?? How much wud that cost :confused4:

Hm. Realistically you need to poke over the whole cooling system as it could be any combination of things - but the cooling system isn't THAT complicated on the valvers.

The engine may have only done 77,000 miles but NOTHING might have ever been changed. I'm guessing as the engine was removed from another car, you did a clean fill of coolant - what sort did you use?

Not sure what a water pump costs - though i'd only use a genuine VW one. And would do the thermostat at the same time.

have you checked the usual stuff,i.e is the bottom hose on the radiator getting warm?

When I had this prob I found the search a big help.

...Would a cool running thermostat help...

not really, but an opening one would :)

seriously though, you do need to check the basics, is the water flowing through the stat/rad as expected, i.e. once the water temp gets to about 90 on the gauge the stat should open and the water flow out of the bottom rad hose.

fan should come on stage one at around 100 deg on the dash gauge and speed 2 if it reaches about 105, the temp ratings on the actual radiator mounted sensor are lower than these figures but then the sensor is mounted in a 'cold' outflow position on the radiator.

Just around about town driving... Usually goes up 2 the 100 mark.. Fan works..

100deg is absolutely fine, it should run up to 100deg before the fan works, which going by your description, is what is happening?

Oh, and moving from 'exterior' :scratch:

The fan should come on before 100 degrees, but in hot weather it's normal to see 100 degrees if you're sitting in traffic a lot.

The temp can rise to 110deg in traffic before the 2nd stage of the fan kicks in on a valver, so if it's only getting as high as 100deg I really wouldn't be worried.

Hmmm - thats not quite right, all VW's cooling systems work so when warm the coolant should stay as close to 90c as possible (bang in the middle of the gauge), if it hits 100 under normal conditions (or doesn't reach 90) then something is wrong.

Hmmm - thats not quite right, all VW's cooling systems work so when warm the coolant should stay as close to 90c as possible (bang in the middle of the gauge), if it hits 100 under normal conditions (or doesn't reach 90) then something is wrong.

I've never had a pre 2000 VW that's sat dead on 90deg tbh, only the more modern cars seem to manage that, every rado/polo/golf etc i've had has sat between 90 and 110 depending on how it's being driven and ambient temps etc. If it's getting to 100deg and the fans cutting in to bring it back down, in traffic at this time of year, I wouldn't see that as a problem? :shrug:

I've never had a pre 2000 VW that's sat dead on 90deg tbh, only the more modern cars seem to manage that, every rado/polo/golf etc i've had has sat between 90 and 110 depending on how it's being driven and ambient temps etc. If it's getting to 100deg and the fans cutting in to bring it back down, in traffic at this time of year, I wouldn't see that as a problem? :shrug:

Temp on my Vr will either be dead centre, OR below 90. Does anyone else experience this? Just general driving and the needle doesnt go over 90.

my mark 3 golf(97) does as does my audi 80.(94) I think my g60 use to in standard form although I couldn't swear to that.. :scratch: but anyway this isn't the pedantic thread.I agree that i don't think the OP necessarily has a problem.

but anyway this isn't the pedantic thread.I agree that i don't think the OP necessarily has a problem.

:lol: :lol:

Come to think of it, my first 8v sat at around 90 and never went much above it as far as I remember - but my point is that i've had many dubs and none of them have sat dead on 90 other than those that were a bit newer, all the others (and there's been alot! :) ) have fluctuated between 90 and 110 at the highest point so I wouldn't panic if the highest it gets to is 100 and that's sat in traffic in the middle of June :)

I've mentioned in previous threads, that i've had quite a few cars that 'run hot' but dont 'overheat' and have found that replacing the rad has sorted the problem out.

yeah, but, the fan switch is 95 degrees for speed 2 and is sat at the bottom (coldest part) of the radiator, so I'd imagine the water temp gauge on a 16v will generally be reading higher than the temp at the fan switch as the sender is right by the water outlet at the top of the head, which must be about the hottest place.

Up to 100 when coming to a halt or in slow traffic is probably about the most you'd want to see it rise by though, 110 would suggest it's well over 10 degrees hotter than the oulet water from the radiator should reach with the second speed of the fan coming on. The 16v heads also generate more heat than the 8v ones.

Cheers 4 all the replies guys :notworthy: ..lol... Yeah, the egnine did get fresh coolant in it when mechanic fitted it...

By the sounds of it, the car is fine but im still gonna check everything out... I just dont like 2 see that temp gauge rise 2 much as u would in any car :lol:

I'll get the mechanic 2 have a wee look at it as its away for an M.O.T in a couple of weeks... (£250), not bad for an old motor... :)