Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Can someone diagnose my problem?

It feels like im getting oversteer on each right hand turn. When I turn the wheel to go around a corner, the back of the car feels very unstable. More so at high speed and espescially when the road is not very smooth. It feels like the back end is moving about 7/8 inches left and right as i drive along. Sometimes i don't even have to be going around a corner. Its as if the wheels nuts are loose and the wheel is "playing" left and right. Obviously they are not as I've double-checked em!

Cheers...

p

Is replacing the axel bushes a big job? expensive? Do they both have to be replaced at the same time and where exactly are they?

They are the rubber bushings where the rear beam/axle bolts onto the two brackets on the chassis. If you look under the car, just infront of the rear wheel you can see the side of the bracket with a large M12 nut + bolt that goes through the centre of the bushings.

They aren't too expensive to buy themselves. But are an absolute nightmare to remove the old bushings from the beam, and to press the new ones in. There's a special VW tool for doing the job, but it is quite expensive!

You're looking at a few hours labour in a garage + parts to get the job done, as the whole rear beam really needs to be removed. I've heard it costs about £250-£300, but I'm sure someone can confirm for definite.

£100

You clearly didn't get it done at a garage in the south of the UK. You are looking at 2-3 hours labour, so multiply by your local labour rates. (I really wish everyone would quote hours labour instead of cash values!)

But first check to make sure it's not just rear wheel bearings are loose. They can be adjusted if they're not knackered, so that's nice and cheap.

you can get the bushes themselves from AVS for about 20 quid if i remember roughly off the top of my head- think they are probably even cheaper than that in all honesty...

the cost comes in the labour as everyone else says. also if your car is old and hasn't had work on it in the area before, there's a chance that your brake lines could be corroded to buggery, which means that they will be likely to break when being removed. perhaps it wouldn't be a bad time to change them anyway if the rear beam is coming off - save having another job on your hands in the future...

AVS have them for £20 [..] also if your car is old and hasn't had work on it in the area before, there's a chance that your brake lines could be corroded to buggery...

I'd buy genuine VW bushes, given the choice, since the rear axle bush is integral to the way the rear axle passive steer works.

The thing that usually gets knackered is the brake load compensator valve, cos it's usually rusted onto one side or the other and needs cutting off. You may not have a choice about replacing it ..

AVS have them for £20 [..] also if your car is old and hasn't had work on it in the area before, there's a chance that your brake lines could be corroded to buggery...

I'd buy genuine VW bushes, given the choice, since the rear axle bush is integral to the way the rear axle passive steer works.

The thing that usually gets knackered is the brake load compensator valve, cos it's usually rusted onto one side or the other and needs cutting off. You may not have a choice about replacing it ..[/quote:b3twgsr1]

fair one about the bushes.

i will totally second that comment about the bias valve as well - getting mine off involved a hammer and chisel, 4.5 inch angle grinder, then a 9" angle grinder, and then some mole grips!

Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem as you a few weeks ago (and still do)! I changed the bushes myself for QEM one purchased through GSF. It is a fairly big jod to do yourself but can be done. IAfter strugling to get the bushes out I built a puller/pusher and have the new ones in but still have the same-ish problem. The bushes were knackerd and changing them did improve things a little but I would suggest checking your shocks first before doing the bushes as this was most of my problem!

As for the bias valve please get the captive nuts cherry red with oxy-acetelyne before trying to remove the retaing cap head or it will only end in disater!!

Forgot to reply to this thread, but in the end i took it to a garage to sort it as i didnt have time myself! The bushes turned out to be fine and it was the rear shocks, got two new ones and replaced the two front mounts as well cos they were almost shot as well. Now I have that sweet cornering feeling back again... Thanks anyway folks.