Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Coolant disappearing slowly?

not long ago i fitted a new rad, crack pipe, thermo housing, a set of samcos and a few other bits to the car (vr6)

been driving it sicne and all seems fine, but have noticed the coolant level going down very slowly, its taken a few hundred miles to lose about 1cm in the header tank.

i can't see any signs of anything leaking, not sure where to check, what would be the obvious places, the trouble is thats its such a small amount there aren't any signs of a leak

:( :(

How have teh temps been? It could be some trapped air slowly making its way out. Top it up and check it again after a few hundred miles. Also, see if you can have a peak under the car after a run if you suspect any other leakage.

Run the engine with teh car stationary until the speed 1 fan trips in and watch the level in the tank, whilst inspecting the cooling circuit.

all the running temps have been fine, the heater matrix has been replaced once already by the previous owner and i have a new header tank cap, blue one.

guess i'll just have to run it as suggested and check everything, i did think i was quite lucky to change it all and not have anything leak :lol:

not long ago i fitted a new rad, crack pipe, thermo housing, a set of samcos and a few other bits to the car (vr6)

been driving it sicne and all seems fine, but have noticed the coolant level going down very slowly, its taken a few hundred miles to lose about 1cm in the header tank.

i can't see any signs of anything leaking, not sure where to check, what would be the obvious places, the trouble is thats its such a small amount there aren't any signs of a leak

:( :(

My G60 does that. It seems as though there is a slight leak where the coolant pipe goes into the block - corroded flange or something like that. Basically I have to top up the coolant every few hundred miles, until I get round to changing the flange.

Wouldn't think so - is it not just a hole in the engine block?

I had an irritating slight leak at that point where my new Gruvenparts pipe went in.

I have now repaired it. The O ring appeared to have a little damage after forcing the pipe in dry.

Best to lube it up with something :camp: