Sign in to follow this  
ProdigalSon

Should that have happened? Pwn'd a 320d :-D

On the way to work this morning, came off a roundabout onto dual carriageway in the outside lane, with an '06 plate BMW 320d in the inside lane, roughly neck and neck.

The Beemer driver obviously didn't want to be overtaken by a poxy 16 year old car, so accelerated forwards to undertake me and pull out around slower traffic ahead in his lane...

What's a self-respecting G60 driver to do? :lol: I floored it too, and we were absolutely neck and neck (well, I was level with his door) for about 250 yards before Mr Beem realised that he was running out of road and slowed, to pull in behind me...

Of course, I got the usual 'loser flyby' when I pulled into the inside lane further on :roll: :p

Then I thought I'd look up the spec on a 320d, and it has 250lb-ft of torque! :shock: I can only assume that his limited revs forced him to make a gear change whereas I sat in glorious 3rd all the way - I can't be running that kind of torque... can I? :nuts: :grin: :clap:

I can't be running that kind of torque... can I? :nuts: :grin: :clap:

:D

no.

:lol:

That's what I figured :D Must've taken him by surprise, or maybe he wasn't sure which pedal was the accelerator... :lol:

diesels torque is overated imo, i think a petrol could be just as impressive if it were geared in the same way etc

petrol FTW 8)

diesels torque is overated imo, i think a petrol could be just as impressive if it were geared in the same way etc

petrol FTW 8)

:salute: ditto.

BMW 320d also weighs about 1.6 tonnes. Your G60 weighs 1.1 tonnes. He NEEDS an extra 40% shove just to accelerate at the same rate as you.

It's nowt to do with gearing ..

BMW 320d also weighs about 1.6 tonnes. Your G60 weighs 1.1 tonnes. He NEEDS an extra 40% shove just to accelerate at the same rate as you.

It's nowt to do with gearing ..

Didn't realise there was that much weight difference! Lightweight FTW then :salute:

That would make my torque around 180 lb-ft, much more realistic! Ah, GCSE Physics coming back to me now... F=ma and all that :grin: :dorky:

Plus he will have higher gear ratios than you, so if you were both in the same gear he'd have less mechanical advantage .. could go either way, but it's not as simple as lbft translating directly to metres per second per second..

Plus he will have higher gear ratios than you, so if you were both in the same gear he'd have less mechanical advantage .. could go either way, but it's not as simple as lbft translating directly to metres per second per second..

Good point too. So what kind of power to weight ratio would you expect to find in modern saloons?

I reckon my G has a PWR of 188PS/1,100kg = 171PS/ton (metric)

dr_mat got there before I got even get near, bro! new Beems are h e a v y, and your car prob tops out at 1.4 tons wet weight with you and your leathers in.

weight,gearing, noob driver, all adds up!

your car prob tops out at 1.4 tons wet weight with you and your leathers in.

That's leather seats, folks, I don't do fetish driving :| *cue Toad* :lol:

Someone has to like that song I suppose.... I think he should stay on the other side of the camera though.

Going back on topic G60s are just awesome. Had you not noticed before? That's enough explanation for me. S*d the physics (no offence Monkey). :D

:lol: You wouldn't be the first to s*d the physics my friend.

I mean, if you can't see it, it doesn't affect anything does it? :nuts:

:lol: You wouldn't be the first to s*d the physics my friend.

I mean, if you can't see it, it doesn't affect anything does it? :nuts:

That and I don't understand it! :scratch: :lol:

I do enjoy having it as my testbed for thermo ideas, that's a good thing. There's no point doing it on my 16v at the moment as it's so slow and gutless. Good for pottering though!

im driving a 320d coupe at the moment, its not very quick.

Way to burst my bubble dude! :sad: :lol:

Oh, well, will have to find another yardstick car that I can be happy to equal :wink:

hunt type R's

8)

edit:

oops

don't you own one of those.

:ignore:

:D

:lol: No, the other, 'practical' car is a CR-V... Not quite a Type R :wink: :roll:

Like I said before, I can have a blast in the G and still get over 30mpg, I'm lucky to get over 22mpg from the Honda - stupid heavy slush-boxed aircon wagon! :bad-words:

It is comfy and good for haulage though... :camp: