Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Replaced the chain tensioner and cams last night.

on a VR6. as per usual, the top portion of the anti friction material on the upper tensioning blade had snapped off way before it'd worn through.

Still, not bad for 110K.

Took the 268 cams out too. I've got VR6 chains off to a fine art now, I could do it with my eyes closed I reckon! 8)

Pics soon, as well as a few tips on timing up a VR6.

Will look forward to those tips, mine is going to need new valve stem seals so any information on how to remove the chain / tensioners / re-aligning the cams etc would be most appreciated.

So when do you open for business then Phat? Could make a nice little sideline just from forum members cars! :D

I'm gonna move this to caring and repairing as well.

There's only one lower chain :D

That one's dead easy (providing you can get the bolt off the imtermediate shaft, it's tightened to 72lbs/ft, ty keeping that one still whislt you crack the bolt off!).

I took a few pics so it should make sense when I get time to write something up.

Nice one. Can you fit all the of the upper tensioning components with the head and box in situ? I did see my upper tensioner blade when I had my tappets done and it was just starting to show signs of small pits at 82K, but didn't look at how to replace it.

Just considering doing the upper stuff for the time being.

Ta

Kev

nope, all you could change with the box on would be the cams and their sprockets.

it's a box, clutch and flywheels off job to do the chains.

stupid design really.

I'd say the chain replacement doesn't come under the heading of "dead easy" if you have to take the box, clutch and flywheels off to do it!! :shock:

You think Haynes would rate it a "two spanner" job???

I doubt it. ;)

I wouldn't know, Haynes do do a manual for a VR6.

What's so hard about taking the gearbox off anyway? it's only a few bolts.

I took the engine and gearbox to do the chains so I could do it in the garage instead of sitting in the engine bay outside in the cold.

I took the engine and gearbox to do the chains so I could do it in the garage instead of sitting in the engine bay outside in the cold.

I'm well aware Haynes don't do a manual for the Corrado.

And I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying that I suspect that the vast majority of posters on the forum would never agree that removing the gearbox is "dead easy". Partly because most of them don't have the tools, the space, the time, the inclination even.

You're right, I'm sure it's not brain surgery, but nor is it as simple as changing a light bulb, is it?

nope, all you could change with the box on would be the cams and their sprockets.

it's a box, clutch and flywheels off job to do the chains.

stupid design really.

Shame. How much did the chains and tensioners come to? It's about £200 worth all in isn't it?

I think I might make it my Spring/summer project!

Oh and I thought if you replace a chain you have to replace the sprockets aswell, as per push bikes and motor bikes?

Kev

I dunno, I put in the chains out of my 50K engine as I'm fully rebuilding that one. They come to about £200 all in.

It looks like the engine has had them replaced in the past anyway, as the imtermediate pulley was 180 degrees out.

What hourly rate do you charge Phat??! :) Just wondering how much life may be left on my 96k VR tensioner, as there are no receipts to say it's been done :?

Oh and I thought if you replace a chain you have to replace the sprockets aswell

Not usually, duplex chain systems are very reliable. The larger sprockets will be the first to show signs of wear. So long as they're okay the smaller ones will be fine.

I dread to think of the state of my chains and tensioners then at 111k miles now...... :shock:

I can hear the tensioner for a split second from cold start in morning but after that its nice and quiet... so not sure I have anything to worry about although I am aware the valve guides need replacing.

Cheers

Scott

OK cheers Steve. What's the difference between duplex and, presumably, simplex chains?

Kev

Standard chains are single width - similar to a bicycle chain. Duplex chains are double width & the sprockets will have 2 sets of teeth.

OK cheers Steve. What's the difference between duplex and, presumably, simplex chains?

Kev

Standard chains are single width - similar to a bicycle chain. Duplex chains are double width & the sprockets will have 2 sets of teeth.

Okey dokey, cheers for that.

Happy Birthday btw!

Kev

I'm well aware Haynes don't do a manual for the Corrado.

And I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying that I suspect that the vast majority of posters on the forum would never agree that removing the gearbox is "dead easy".

Partly because most of them don't have the tools, the space, the time, the inclination even.

You're right, I'm sure it's not brain surgery, but nor is it as simple as changing a light bulb, is it?

You never know unless you try eh? theres no point telling someone its really difficult if they know its really easy, and you wont listen. just because the majority of people dont have the tools space or inclanation doesnt make it difficult, does it. it just means not evryone is so luck. or Lazy. Personally im lazy. i know i could do it. i would choose not too.

my 2p.

You never know unless you try eh? theres no point telling someone its really difficult if they know its really easy, and you wont listen. just because the majority of people dont have the tools space or inclanation doesnt make it difficult, does it. it just means not evryone is so luck. or Lazy. Personally im lazy. i know i could do it. i would choose not too.

my 2p.

Horses for courses. My personal list of "really easy" includes many things other people would never even consider trying, just like everyone else's includes things I'd likely never try (like removing gearboxes!).

I'm not about to log into the forum and tell everyone that they too can do all the things I can do, just cos I think they're easy - I know it ain't that simple.

Anyway, this thread has gone on long enough, we've both made our points. Removing gearboxes is "dead easy" if you have the tools and a mechanical bent. That means not me then.

Has anyone taken the complete engine / geabox out of a VR6? Planning on doing the head, tensioners, clutch etc in one go. If the engine and gearbox can be removed / installed in one lump, doing all the work in the warm then installing it complete seems good to me. Is this possible, and are there purpose made engine stands to do the job?

Also PhatVR6, any luck with the timing, chain / tensioner tips? Cheers.