Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

lights on alerting when door is open

i have owned 3 corrados and none of them have alerted me that i have left my lights when i open the door. do they not have this feature or is it broken? any ideas how it can be fixed or something installed to alert me?

cheers

I've had 7 and none of them have had that function, so I would guess that its not standard.

Its easy enough to install one, you need a 12v buzzer, connect its positive lead to the side light feed and connect the earth lead to the door pillar switch. Thats a simple setup, the downside is that the buzzer will go off if a passenger gets out while the lights are on too.

weird... at home there's a relay in the box with a little speaker, |I think the housing has a 4 on it.

Anyway, it was standard on all VWs corrados included... The one from home is sitting in the parts bin... I just assumed someone had done the same thing over here.

i cant imagine anyone would retro fit the annoying buzzer but my 94 VR has one :cuckoo:

The headlight switch is on the furthest point of the dash / closest to the door and has a GREEN light in the middle!

How many more warnings do you need before getting out of a car? :lol:

I put a Maplins lights-on-warning-buzzer on mine, only goes off when lights are on, ignition off and drivers door opens, it's saved me loads of times, that little green light isn't exactly glaringly obvious, especially if you're in a rush.

hehe, i went down to chichester a few nights ago, left my light on, went to the pub went to watch 'The happening' at the cinema, went back to the pub, back to the car...'oh Sh*t!' got in, started fine couldnt belive it! dont need no buzzer if it keeps going like that! :lol:

No UK Corrados got the lights-on warning buzzer as standard and I'm 99% sure nowhere else did either.

However, there were/are kits available from Maplin and the like and it seems they were quite popular.

Also not featured on the heavy-laden Corrado specification list: low fuel light :lol:

Also not featured on the heavy-laden Corrado specification list: low fuel light :lol:

:lol: if it was it would have been constantly on it and just wore out!... has anyone ever looked into fitting one, presume you'd need to have a sensor in the tank... hmm??

I guess the easiest way would be to wire up some kind of basic voltage sensor to the needle so that when it reached a certain point, the light came on. Don't fancy it much myself though...

Whats the 'low fuel' light goign to tell you that your needle isnt already telling you? If you dont notice the needle on the red then you arent look at the gauge, therefore you wouldnt see the light anyway.

Whats the 'low fuel' light goign to tell you that your needle isnt already telling you? If you dont notice the needle on the red then you arent look at the gauge, therefore you wouldnt see the light anyway.

but VW bothered to fit a warning light to the top of the water temp gauge for when the gauge gets to maximum!

The guage is difficult to read exactly how much you have left in your tank, i previously worked at a car r&d place and all of the new cars have a fuel light which indicates a certain amount left in the take, i.e. 1 gallon, but most of the mid-high spec new cars now have a read out telling you how many miles you have left witht the fuel in your tank, a good idea IMO. I've never worked with electronics so i dont know how complicated it would be to fit something like that (positioning of a different read out and aesthetics aside) :?

The guage is difficult to read exactly how much you have left in your tank, i previously worked at a car r&d place and all of the new cars have a fuel light which indicates a certain amount left in the take, i.e. 1 gallon, but most of the mid-high spec new cars now have a read out telling you how many miles you have left witht the fuel in your tank, a good idea IMO. I've never worked with electronics so i dont know how complicated it would be to fit something like that (positioning of a different read out and aesthetics aside) :?[/quote:qjep4sbn]

Ah so the light ignores the needle then?

I disagree with not seeing the light. If you see a light coming on out of the corner of your eye, you instinctively look at it. The red coolant light for example.

Obviously the low oil pressure lights have buzzers too which helps a lot.

Going back to the petrol tank issue, the red section at the bottom of the gauge is a specific amount of petrol, 2 gallons IIRC and therefore you should have a few miles (up to 60ish?) left in the tank. The only problem with this is the gunge that gets built up in the tank near the collector. I had 1/2 of the red section left to go in my C and it spluttered to a halt.

Still, at least I know that it's pretty much empty at half way through the red! :cuckoo: Maybe when I do the rear beam I'll pull it off and give it a flush out.

cheers guys had a look on maplins website but cant seem to find one anymore any ideas where i can get one?

i always end up leaving my lights on when its early evening and its gonna annoy me a lot when i dont get told about it and i have run flat!

I'm thinking I might have a lucrative market for these speaker relays everyone heates at home...

I'll be home in a few months if you all can hold on till then.

I put a Maplins lights-on-warning-buzzer on mine, only goes off when lights are on, ignition off and drivers door opens, it's saved me loads of times, that little green light isn't exactly glaringly obvious, especially if you're in a rush.

whats the easiest way to do this? been caught out before and want to prevent it happening again!

whats the easiest way to do this? been caught out before and want to prevent it happening again!

Errrrrrrr..............

Its easy enough to install one, you need a 12v buzzer, connect its positive lead to the side light feed and connect the earth lead to the door pillar switch. Thats a simple setup, the downside is that the buzzer will go off if a passenger gets out while the lights are on too.

:wink: :wink:

got a buzzer from maplins for £1.69 or summat and wired it in with the lights and the door sensor for the interior light. pretty easy and all is good :D :D . never any danger now