Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

Engine mount fitting - easy ??

Got my engine mount through the post,cars booked in to have it fitted and other stuff on monday but if its easy I may do it myself at the w/end and save a few quid..............

Is it just a matter of locating it at the front of the engine and unscrewing a couple of bolts whilst the engine is held in place with a car jack ? Im guessing but this would seem logical ?

Anyone replaced one before ? Is it that striaghtforward or is it hard to get to ?

Cheers

Not that I'm an expert, but be careful what you're jacking up against, the sump pan in particular is way too weak to support the engine!

Point taken - I would have 'supported' the engine on its edge but may be I should leave it for the garage to do when they change over my disks/pads on monday......

It is fairly easy to do- one bolt on top- i think a 13mm nut and one on the bottom.

put a jack under the front part of the engine not the sump and loosen the bolts on the engine mount.

You will need to jack the front of the engine slightly- tiltiing it backward a bit so that the mount bolt can be pulled out of the front engine mount on the block.

i had to take of the radiator mounts and gently push the rad out of the way so to give enough room to move the olds mount and pull it out. then just put the new one in place, tighten the bottom bolt and release the jack so it sits on the mount bolt.

Its sound preety difficult but it's not- should take no longer that about half an hour.

Hope this helps...

cheers - thought it must be pretty easy as the Garage only qouted £25 labour...........so put the jack on the 'edge of the bottom of the engine where the sump bolts on' ? Is that right ?

Dont jack on the sump mate as it will just squash it and you really dont want that :shock:

You need to jack it near the engine mount at the front- cant remember where i did it exactly but if you get your nugget under the front of the car you will be able to see where the sump bolts on there is a lip round the front of the sump that you can put the jack on and just gently jack it up a bit.

If you want i'll take a quick look at my motor to night and better explain it tommorow. It's dead easy though- dont jack on the oil filter as that will split and make a horrible mess of your drive :shock: j

The sump isn't as weak as you think. Just put some carpet or rags on the pad so you don't mark it. It certainly won't bend, providing you don't try and lift the car.

13mm and 17mm underneath and 15 mm on top. Assuming it is a 16V or G60. You might want the oil filter off to improve access.

Gavin

yeh put a piece of wood along the sump so weight is spread.

i think it i took the rad out so that it was easy access.

You need to jack the engine up quite high to get the mount out of it's socket on the front cross member, so check you're not going to stretch any cables before hand!

Kev

I've never had a problem jacking the engine up by the sump I always put a length of wood between the jack and the sump pan to even out the weight of the engine. You just have to undo the 15mm bolt I think it is on top of the mount and the 17mm main one underneath and there is also a 13mm hiding underneath a cable once they are undone you need to jack it up about 8-9" and slide it out to the left towards the supercharger can be tricky as the oil filter gets in the way if you have an external oil cooler but it does go easy enough job to do about 10 mins work :D