Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

HELP! Steering Wheel Column Adjust! :-O

As I was driving to work today, the steering wheel column adjust came completely loose, so now the steering wheel moves up and down freely whilst driving!! :shock:

Is there any easy fix to this? Or more importantly, is it expensive? :help:

Do a search on it as it's happened to quite a few people before, its usually caused by a small hardened steel pin that becomes loose and slides out, which can usually be fixed by either glueing it back in or putting it back in and then using a centre punch to close the hole over the top of it, either way you will need to remove the steering column shroud to get at it.

Do a search on it as it's happened to quite a few people before, its usually caused by a small hardened steel pin that becomes loose and slides out, which can usually be fixed by either glueing it back in or putting it back in and then using a centre punch to close the hole over the top of it, either way you will need to remove the steering column shroud to get at it.

Did a search and couldn't find much on it :(

The car is at the Volkswagen dealership now, so hopefully they'll sort it!

Did a search and couldn't find much on it :(

The car is at the Volkswagen dealership now, so hopefully they'll sort it!

just hope they dont say you need a new steering column, as if they dont know how to repair it that is all they will do and they are not cheap :(

I have a spare late spec steering column if you need one, it's the bare bones metal part though, no electronics or ignition cowling on it at all.

Look on my PAS Rack rebuild post, that was a good place for people chatting about column movement. :salute:

here you go, first search result Clicky

but instead of just pushing the pin back in make shure to either glue it or dent the edge of the hole over, otherwise it will do exactly the same thing very quickly.

Yes, a replacement steering column is ~£530 + VAT .. you don't want to be buying one of those for fun.

Well, have been reading up about this hammering-the-pin-then-glueing-it-back-in-with-badasstickforever-glue stuff and have explained it to the wife (speakers better German than me!) and she's going to call the dealership. Phew!

The dude working on the car has a Corrado with a Turbo taken from some Porsche! So I think its in good hands, however...my ass is on the bus today by the looks of it :(

:) Picked the car up this afternoon and all is well - might even have a new member on here as I was asked for the web address where I got the information on how to fix the problem!

CHEERS CHAPS!

Glad it's sorted, did they glue the pin in place or secure it in any other way?

I believe they glued it. Cost me €40 (£31.85).

All donations gratefully received.... :lol:

Glad you got it sorted without a £500 bill mate 8)