Sign in to follow this  
was8v

My Schwartz Black VR6 - BMC DIA fitted & on track again

Just realised that there no pictures of my latest C on here - my previous Aqua Blue machine is here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33061&p=368074#p368074 I've since had another MK2 GTI 8v but missed the C too much!

I bought it last Nov having just had timing chains done so it was spot on engine wise. Unfortunatley it took a little tidying up - the usual small jobs that people can't be bothered to do but all add up. Now its spot on mechanically and cosmetically after spending 6 months collecting little bits and pieces.

Well last week the best girlfriend in the world paid for me a trackday at Oulton Park for my birthday. I've been itching to get on track for ages and the car was running well. I'm only just 6ft but I had to have the sunroof open to give me some headroom when wearing a helmet!

Unfortunatley the day before the trackday the water pump failed, I had a mad rush to get another and sort it out, hence why the car isn't clean in the pics!

The only mods at the moment are the refurbed Storm spec BBS Solitude wheels, red rear light clusters, clear side reps and a small chin spoiler (so I can get in my garage). Oh and the side strips have been removed. Previously (when I picked it up) the car had a few mods all of which I removed.

I have a magnex cat back system waiting to go on, new front wishbone bushes (the time on track highlighed how bad they are!), keeping my eye out for a BMC CDA and some suitable suspension so I can keep up with my mates Clio 172 Cup through the corners on track! Oh, and a damn good clean and polish to come!

nice one mate, i always wondered what happened to the rado from deals on wheels . i was watching that clip only the other day! shame the interior has gone :(

nice one mate, i always wondered what happened to the rado from deals on wheels . i was watching that clip only the other day! shame the interior has gone :(

Cheers. I'm one of the few people in this world who prefer cloth to leather so I'm not fussed, but cloth recaros would be nice!

The car had a respray before I bought it too, so the paint work is still pretty good.

Video of me and friends driving by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSQOPTw_nis

The 2.0 16v clio 172 cup sounds amazing, just a pipercross foam filter as the only mod. The 3.2 Z4M Coupe sounds great too, but then my little 2.9 VR6 comes past!

Hence me fitting the magnex and wanting a CDA, lol I need more noise on full chat!

very nice mate. looks really nice and tidy :)

Cheers, although it cleans up nicely the paint still feels rough. Just ordered some clay bar so i can finally give it the proper clean its been wanting for the last 6 months. Also going to polish out swirls and scratches with with Autoglym super resin polish and then seal with some decent wax.

Did it go neighhhhhhhhh, or did it go moooooooooo-ooooooh? :grin:

Lol, not sure what to reply to that...... :lol:

Just though i'd tot up work done to my car as a record whilst it in my head :wink: .

Major work prior to my purchase:

Monroe gas shocks all round
    Timing chains and tensioners :clap:
    CAT 1 alarm
    Refurbed Storm spec BBS Solitudes
    New brake disks, pads and rear calipers
    Respray in original Schwartz Black Metallic

Totted up what I've replaced since I bought it at the end of September 2007, it was off the road for 3 months from then until I got it running nicely. Bought with 110k miles on the clock 8) .

Radiator mounting brackets (originals fitted incorrectly and bent) - how much for a few bolts :shock:
    Tidied some bodged wiring (old immobilisers etc).
    Rear ABS cages
    Rear wheel bearings whilst it was in bits - whoever replaced the disks reused the old cages and must have used cheapo wheel bearings as they were looking worn.
    Water Pump (x3!) :pale:
    Serpentine drive belt
    Standard leather steering wheel
    Standard airbox
    Leather Handbrake Gaiter (mr gaiter)
    Standard springs (had nasty GMAX)
    Both front calipers (stuck nipples) & new slider boots
    Wiper linkage rods & Lupo Wipers
    Replacement Front bumper
    Replacement injector #6 :pukeright:
    Dash out to fix heater flaps
    Dub Power red HT leads
    Oil + Filters a few times
    O/S Inner CV (had a little 'clunk' play and was dried up on disassembly)
    Starter Motor
    2x front wishbones complete with balljoints and bushes. Plus new Track rod ends at the same time.
    Kumho Ectsa SPT KU31 Tyres
    Front engine mount

Still to go on:

Clay Bar and polish
    Magnex SS exhaust cat back
    BMC CDA
    Possibly some decent lowered suspension (although the current monroe / standard springs gives a great ride)

Now has 117k miles ( 7k since february :shock: ). Sooo, even low mileage (110k in 14 years must be considered low?!) cars can be a little troublesome :roll: although I did buy it knowing it had a few minor issues. Since its been on the road its been very reliable, just replaced the wishbones etc.

Well I finally got together to buy the BMC DIA induction kit. This is the same as a BMC CDA but with a plastic housing instead of the carbon housing = no performance difference.

I got the BMC DIA 85-150 new from italian ebay. its missing the unecessary cold air hose though.

The short length of 80mm ID silicone required to conenct to the VR6 MAF was from an ebay HK seller.

Will update again when I've fashioned a bracket to hang it off the belt tensioner bolt.

Fitted the BMC DIA in preperation for another trackday:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfSN151488.JPG[/attachment:2y9fp9zb]

Not sure I like it, quiet at normal throttle openings, but makes a very loud noise on big throttle openings BAAAAAAAAAAR sounds very loud :gag:

Still at least i could hear the engine note with a helmet on when on track.

After an afternoon at Outlon Park with easytrack, melted rear Kumhos (this pic was after the drive home too) the fronts were a little worse :lol: good job they are cheap!

SN151497.JPG[/attachment:2y9fp9zb]

Car handles much better now with new wishbone bushes and alignment. Had the benefit of an instructor showing me the lines yesterday, which is recomended although a little expensive for what you get.

Looking good mate. Really want to get my VR out on a track after my couple of laps round the ring in the summer.

Out of interest, how do the Kumho's handle (except the melting!) out on the track? thinking of getting a set for my 17's.

Looking good mate. Really want to get my VR out on a track after my couple of laps round the ring in the summer.

Out of interest, how do the Kumho's handle (except the melting!) out on the track? thinking of getting a set for my 17's.

Do it! its the only place you can really enjoy the handling - really good fun once you have learnt the track. Oulton park is a fantastic place as it has superb visibility and good run offs if you get it wrong, so little chance of bending metal.

Last friday cost £89 with http://www.easytrack.co.uk plus half a tank of optimax (£40?) plus I got £30 instruction, and a bargain £25 motorbike helmet - mine a Nitro N750vx from Ghost bikes worth buying if you are going to do it more than once.

Any road tyre will end up looking melted like that, especially if it newish after an afternoon on track (Goodyears especially!). I really like the Kumhos (ecsta spt ku31), rate them better all round than the falkens and yoko a509 i have had on before. They seem to have the edge over toyo T1S as a road tyre as they last longer for similar bargain price.

You can really feel the changes tyres go through on track. First lap they are warming up, then they get really grippy. If you stay out too long in a session you can feel them go a bit squishy - time to come in and let everything cool.

Are the brakes standard? Brave man if they are although Oulton should be too bad. Ive done it on the bike before and it was great but a hell of a slippy in the wet.

Are the brakes standard? Brave man if they are although Oulton should be too bad. Ive done it on the bike before and it was great but a hell of a slippy in the wet.

Standard brakes were fine (I have plenty of mechanical sympathy and drove within their limitations) & I stuck to 20 mins on (inc cool down lap) 20 mins off. I'm not one of those who cane the car on track and come off with the brakes smoking - this is my only car :wink: so i've got to look after it. Would be nice to have a dedicated track car you could go all out with like some do.

Druids was mega slippy - I had a few high speed sideways moments :D

Do it! its the only place you can really enjoy the handling - really good fun once you have learnt the track. Oulton park is a fantastic place as it has superb visibility and good run offs if you get it wrong, so little chance of bending metal.

Any road tyre will end up looking melted like that, especially if it newish after an afternoon on track (Goodyears especially!). I really like the Kumhos (ecsta spt ku31), rate them better all round than the falkens and yoko a509 i have had on before. They seem to have the edge over toyo T1S as a road tyre as they last longer for similar bargain price.

You can really feel the changes tyres go through on track. First lap they are warming up, then they get really grippy. If you stay out too long in a session you can feel them go a bit squishy - time to come in and let everything cool.

Yeah I'm definitely going to do it, closest track to me is Snetterton, and I think a load of the guys that went round the nurburgring are all thinking about it as well.

I've ordered a full set of those Kuhmo's so we'll see how they fair. I did 4 laps of the ring on Goodyear Eagle F1's and they were very hot but didn't melt, guess that's down to the number of straights etc that give them chance to cool a bit.

I remember dukest coming off there though with tyres so hot you could leave your finger prints in the rubber! :lol:

Any more pics of on the track?

loving the melted kuhmos! :lol:

the reason you're possibly getting such a roar is the dia doesn't have the continuation of the inlet tract after the airbox that the cda does. with the CDA you can fit the flexi bit of air ducting that will quieten things down a bit. i haven't heard what an r32 sounds like with a nice long inlet feed attached to a bmc cda, but i'm hoping it's nice and discreet as that's what will be on mine and i hate unecessarily noisy cars!

your motor is looking good though matey - good progress :)

the reason you're possibly getting such a roar is the dia doesn't have the continuation of the inlet tract after the airbox that the cda does.

The kit came with an adapter to stick in the end so some ducting can be attached just like a CDA. I'm going to try that, and mount the DIA on a bracket hanging off the tensioner mount like people do with CDAs so it is not vibrating on the bodywork (currently temp held in place with zip-ties).

your motor is looking good though matey - good progress :)

Does look shiny in that pic! :grin: