Sign in to follow this  
nathan.g4

Help.

I have been struggeling for a week now to get 2 bolts off one of my rear brake set ups the other brakes came apart and went back together a dream but these last 2 bolts are a pain in my :censored: anybody have a tips for getting a 16 year old bolt out :?

A big Hammer :lol:

A good soak over night in some WD40 or other freeing agent, if not then some heat should do it!

2nd the IRWINS. most of the bolts on my VR were rusted in solid (to the point where i sheared one wishbone bolt, :bad-words: ) IRWINS were a godsend. They have worked on everything so far!

Bought some Irwins last night as I am about to attempt the same job and there is plenty of members on here who recommended them :salute:

Do they grip cap heads? I tried to remove my rear brake carriers the other day and couldn't remove the two M8 cap heas even with a 200 nm wrench! The internal of the allen head was starting to round so called it a day. Facom do an excentric external gripper but its uber expensive for a one off gripper....so if the irwin set will grip round heads then I may invest.

Do they grip cap heads? I tried to remove my rear brake carriers the other day and couldn't remove the two M8 cap heas even with a 200 nm wrench! The internal of the allen head was starting to round so called it a day. Facom do an excentric external gripper but its uber expensive for a one off gripper....so if the irwin set will grip round heads then I may invest.

Yep they do everything. I've removed exhaust manifold studs from a cylinder head with them too.

yeah they'll get on there im sure, might need to knock them on with a hammer but once they are on just wind it on and it'll remove them.

Stoney's right, IIRC you'll need the 16mm irwin on the rear carrier inset allen key bolts :salute: I've done that recently too. Go out and buy some plusgas too, you'll be surprised how you ever did without.

If you use them once they have basically paid for themselves!

At the very least save you blood, sweat and tears :lol:

Good investment though.

were can i get some bolt grippers i have looked everywhere and i cant find them :( couldnt find plusgas either stupid halfords had to get there own stuff :mad2: not goin well so far .....

were can i get some bolt grippers i have looked everywhere and i cant find them :( couldnt find plusgas either stupid halfords had to get there own stuff :mad2: not goin well so far .....

Erwins are available online and possibly from Machine Mart and other machine shops like that?

Plusgas you'll have to hunt for too - but it's worth it.

Irwins seem to be cheapest from Screwfix and the trade counters will have them in stock...

PlusGas can be got from most independant motor factors - it used to be much better than everything else but there are quite a few similar products now, Halfords do a shock-unlock spray and also the 3in1 High performance spray (orange can)

The other stuff is Wurth's Sa Besto range but that is equally hard to get hold of...

I got mine from Amazon, used them today to remove my rear carriers when the hex rung. Tapped on the bolt gripper with a hammer and hey presto :clap: well worth the investment.

Plusgas you'll get from most good Motor Factors.