Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

Petrol smell - occasional

I get this occasional smell of petrol and can never find any damp patches or signs of a leak. When it happens it seems to be random, but always when moving which makes me think engine bay somewhere and it's getting sucked through the interior vents.

Anyone got an idea where to look?

I read out there that there was a petrol pipe which was located near exhaust manifold, and when it breaks.... it may cause the car to set on fire...

Legend?? I don't know :lol: Anyway, I would have a look there :hitler:

I read out there that there was a petrol pipe which was located near exhaust manifold, and when it breaks.... it may cause the car to set on fire...

That's more of a G60 foible

That's more of a G60 foible

Yes it is. Sorry, I hadn't seen he was talking about an VR6

there are a few places that are worth checking,

the fuel filter which has a short section of rubber hose on either end, its also worth changing the filter while your down there.

the small section of rubber hose from the sender on top of the tank to the plastic main fuel line.

the sections of rubber hose that connect between the main fuel lines that run down the car and the engine.

the rest of the hoses are different depending on what engine you have.

all of the rubber fuel hoses perish and split around the ends, it may not be obvious at first glance but if you remove the hose clip, pull the pipe off (fuel will probably go everywhere) and then squeeze the end of the pipe between your fingers, it will become quite obvious if the pipe is past it as it will show cracks all the way around, your best bet would be to replace the rubber hose with some new stuff, but you can usually get a few more thousand miles out of it by cutting a bit off the end.

With the age of all corrado's, all of the rubber fuel lines should have been changed by now as most will be way past it regardless of milage or how well serviced it's been.

if your going to take fuel pipes off,

start the car and then pull the fuel pump fuse wait till it stops running and then give the engine a few more cranks to get the rest of the fuel out of the rail.

this should take the pressure out of the fuel system, so when you take the pipe off it wont spurt out everywhere!

Your still going to get some petrol spill though so be ready with a cup or something.

I'd say your most likely candidates are the 2 parallel pipes the go over the top of the cam cover on the far left end of the engine and connect to the fuel rail.