Sign in to follow this  
fla

installing Sat Nav in dash

Has anyone done this with, say, a Tom Tom in the cubby hole below the ash tray? Dont fancy removing it all the time or having wires running across the windscreen to the ciggie lighter socket.

been thinking about this for a while, i used to work with a bloke who 'borrowed' a full dvd driven oem (not vag) sat nav set up from the workshop and set it it up to run in a golf, and another who created a fiberglass'd surround when the top vents in his corsa c were and had a head unit driven one.... so it can be done

really want a premenant sat nav set up in there so if anyone has i'd love to see it as well!

Well, I haven't done this,

BUT...

I recently made a guage pod holder to fit in the same place in the dash cubby hole. 18mm MDF (what I had spare) and some leathertte...

There's even a little hole in the back of the cubby hole for wires (something to do with optional air con controls or something)

I really don't see why you couldn't apply the same principles to this.

It was all a bit of an experiment to see if I could manage to make something OEM looking after getting annoyed at an ebay company trying to charge a silly amount for some crappy plastic mould.

Factors to consider:

Speaker is usually in the back of the unit? Muffled sound?

Buttons on the top/side edges could cause a problem unless you can easily pop the unit out.

THIEVERY (for the same reason)

Wiring it in onto a switched live so it doesn't eat your battery

Angle of view... not exactly line of sight.....

Well, I haven't done this,

BUT...

I recently made a guage pod holder to fit in the same place in the dash cubby hole. 18mm MDF (what I had spare) and some leathertte...

There's even a little hole in the back of the cubby hole for wires (something to do with optional air con controls or something)

I really don't see why you couldn't apply the same principles to this.

It was all a bit of an experiment to see if I could manage to make something OEM looking after getting annoyed at an ebay company trying to charge a silly amount for some crappy plastic mould.

Factors to consider:

Speaker is usually in the back of the unit? Muffled sound?

Buttons on the top/side edges could cause a problem unless you can easily pop the unit out.

THIEVERY (for the same reason)

Wiring it in onto a switched live so it doesn't eat your battery

Angle of view... not exactly line of sight.....

hey josh

good points, i really want to install something like my dad has in his new nissan xtrail, i'm certain it'd be possible, its wired into the head unit so comes out all the speakers, i think i saw a similar unit in a new mk5 golf or passat recently, then it doesnt look like it can be stolen!! then again it'll probably be easier to get one of those sat nav head units with the flip out screen :cuckoo: i dont know... why am i on this talkign about the theoretical instal of stanav at 1.20am... we'll see :D

Yes, good points there. The speaker issue wouldnt be too great, it could probably be wired somehow into the door speakers, but the button on the top to power it would need some butchering, which i wouldnt feel like doing.

The other option would be to fit one of the cheaper satnavs (£100) for which you might not feel to afraid to tamper with. If someone has a mashed up centre console they want to get rid of, i'd like to try some frame mockups. Got some good black leather and suede which can be used for finishing the surround as required.

Sounds like you're forumalting a plan...

image069lowzp1.jpg

This is how my handywork started life...

The built in ones like on your Dad's GayTrail do look really nice btw Andy!

I've just recently installed a double din pioneer avic d3 into my corrado, it took a lot of butchering to the internals of the dash and to the centre console, moving the heater controls down by about 5cm and creating an internal frame out of aluminium for the unit to sit in. Also you have to remake the surrounds for both the sat nav and the heater controls as the shaps of the centre console surrounding them change as you move them up or down. I will add some pictures of the finished items over the nxt few days - but dont give up on the idea - looks awesome when finished! Does the phone hands free, connects to the ipod, plays music from ipod, dvds, phone (via BTooth) and miniack input, and will play videos from dvds also. Good piece of kit

Also - I have an USA spec avic d3 to sell to anyone in USA who reads this forum - is brand new - pm me if interesed and i will put a proper advert in the sales section.

Tim

I'm just resurrecting this one, more for ideas on possible options. Present thoughts bearing in mind comments above are to mount the unit in the cubby hole, perhaps screwing the window mount to an mdf base, thereby allowing it to be removable if required. It could be covered with a panel over the cubby hole. The only issue would be the speaker - how would this be mounted into the speakers? I am presently installing the Parrot, which links in to the speakers, maybe this could be bridged somehow? Or would there be confusion if there were a call and the satnav was also giving instructions?

the r32 satnav/radio looks stock when put into the corrado center dash look up mort1414's member thread for pics

ive downloaded navigator 9 and use that with a usb gps reciever.... i have just seen today tom tom 5 works with windows and you need to run it on an emulator.....il p[robably get round to doing this sometime soon.....

i fitted a screen with ease into the centre console id just go with the flow you can always pic up another console if it goes tits up......

i have on the other hand thought about turning mine back to standard so may even sell the console as a job lot.....

ive downloaded navigator 9 and use that with a usb gps reciever.... i have just seen today tom tom 5 works with windows and you need to run it on an emulator.....il p[robably get round to doing this sometime soon.....

i fitted a screen with ease into the centre console id just go with the flow you can always pic up another console if it goes tits up......

i have on the other hand thought about turning mine back to standard so may even sell the console as a job lot.....

Hi mate

if you do sell this as a job lot pm me as I'll almost certainly take it of you...

Thanks

how much would that kind of set up cost? I know you can get the mdv satnavs for about £150 or so

Ah well yeah costs a litle more than that but not just sat nav.... Tv DVD mp3 wifi Bluetooth it runs windows xp so it will do what you want it to do...

Ah well yeah costs a litle more than that but not just sat nav.... Tv DVD mp3 wifi Bluetooth it runs windows xp so it will do what you want it to do...

Yeah saw some of this on your build thread I think.. Looks very impressive.

Can't endorse it much more than saying I'd probably buy it from you as a job lot!

ive got a 8" moniter system in my dash atm

got a rear view cam

it can run off a sat nav through moniter and mp3, pretty much anything can go into it

i imagine it will be loads of hassle though with moulding it into place.

surprise surprise like a typical bloke i didnt look at the instructions with the TomTom. so after 3 years of owning it :roll: i've found there is a cable thats connects to the back of the head unit, so the sound can come through there.

OK so the next question is this - should i mount it in the cubby hole at the bottom of the centre console via a removable panel or just run the wires across the inside of the dash and leave them to poke out so it is mounted on the screen?

i think you might get annoyed with having to look down at the sat nav and then back up out of the screen, takes your eyes off the road quite a lot! I had one low down in the car and found this was the case. Tim

i think you might get annoyed with having to look down at the sat nav and then back up out of the screen, takes your eyes off the road quite a lot! I had one low down in the car and found this was the case. Tim

i find it alot better having my sat nav there means i can see out the window and dont have to keep licking a sucker pad every half hour

Both valid points and unfortunately both the issues i wanted to get a better feel of. The problem is if i opt for one it'll be a mission to set it up for the other if it doenst work out for me. At present i use it on the screen, but with the wire trailing across the dash. I've also got my mobile in a holder on the screen too, whioch means its a bit cluttered there! If the Parrot gets done, the mobile will sit in the glovebox so i'll only have the satnav there.

Keep the comments coming!

heres mine took about 45 mins to do it 6cd changer included i now hate using tom tom in the work vehicles

11.jpg[/attachment:3f0ehz5p]

looks really great mort, but surely it took longer to relocate the heater controls too? The only issue i have is the updates etc and functionality. I do like that in the tomtom plus the fact that its portable.

Looks so good Mort, as much as OEM as one can get. Would love one of these in the future.

Got any more details on your setup? Cheers mate.

heres mine took about 45 mins to do it 6cd changer included i now hate using tom tom in the work vehicles

11.jpg[/attachment:1tno5j99]

Yeah I'd be interested in one of these as well...any details? make/model?

Want to replace the crusty silver kenwood cd player that came with my car!

p.s. stupid question, but I guess you lose the cigarette lighter bit to allow you to charge phones/ipod??

p.s. stupid question, but I guess you lose the cigarette lighter bit to allow you to charge phones/ipod??

You can always move that bit down and underneath in the cubby hole part :salute: