Sign in to follow this  
WHEELER1

kr cam change

Ive just bought some kr cams for my 2.0 16v 9a corrado. Will they just be a direct replacement for the original cams or are there any other parts i will need to change? Also will the timing marks be the same?

I'm about to do this as well. As said is there any other parts that should be bought whilst it is in bits?

Also am I right in saying you only replace the inlet cam? just leave the other one?

Just replace the inlet cam, the exhaust is the same.

While you're at it it's worth replacing the chain that links the 2 cams, if you can be arsed and it is near needing doing it might be worth replacing the cam belt and tensioner too!

To set the timing to TDC (very basically) the dots on the cams must be facing each other, the arrow on the cam cover must be between the 2 spots on the cam sprocket and the dot on the flywheel must line up with the line mark when looking through the flywheel inspection bung. :scratch:

Rotate the engine a few times using a good spline socket on the crankshaft pulley to check that it all keeps in line!!

Not done mine yet (shut up Beige!!)....but it shouldn't be too difficult if you're competent with a ratchet spanner and an engine, a second pair of hands would be useful to do the timing though.

Tell me how you get on with this, please. I'm looking to do this very soon.

cheers Kempy :wave:

forgot to ask, no special tools are required are they to do this? And the head doesn't need to come off does it?

I'm going to do the cam belt at the same time.

Cheers!!

No the head doesn't need to come off, all you need to remove is the inlet manifold and the cam cover.

The only 'Special tool' you'll need to buy or make is a tool to tighten the cam belt tensioner pulley, I'd also recommend that you buy genuine VW parts (belt and tensioner).

let us know how you get on guys, i might be doing mine soon too!

are you going for the mk2 16v inlet manifold as well?

had my kr cams arrive from ebay today and just wondered if anyone knew the part numbers so i can see if ive been had! mine say 7a 027wwo6f and 7b 027 wwo3e.

printed into the cast on mine is WTR 072 5 H and WTR 072 2 N, i measured them with a vernier and there is 9.6mm of lift on the lobe but i cant find anwhere to check the part number. Im going into vw on tuesday so i will try and double check then. i went to get all the geskets for the 50 mm inlet manifold and there are two different types for the one that goes between the two parts of the manifold, anyone know the difference between the two?

Having my kr cams put in tomorrow at TSR. Cant wait to see if you can notice any difference. They do the whole job with a new cambelt and tensioner for £250 if anyone else is looking to have it done.

the 2 different types of gasket are between the 42mm and the 50mm. the head to inlet gaskets are the same between 42mm and 50mm.

KR inlet has 9.6mm lift and the exhaust has 10.2mm.

have had my kr's (well just changed the inlet cam) on for a few months now and the difference is quite noticeable in the higher revs, like on the motorway for instance you can put your foot down in 5th and it seems to really pick up speed quite well. don't know about the 50mm inlet manifold tho, seemed quite boggy in the lower revs but was able to breath allot better in the higher revs so depends on yer driving style i suppose.

Picked up my rado today from tsr after having the kr cam fitted and no offence to them but i cant feel any difference at all. Was I expecting too much or is the power difference very subtle? had jetex panel filter fitted at same time with the hope of being happy with the extra power but sadly dissapointed. Maybe its time to move on to something more powerful!

sorry to pull up an old post but...

for the 50mm inlet gasket can i file down the 42mm one as mine has a red mark where the 50mm begins to guide too otherwise its another weekend wasted as vw sent me the wrong gasket :( (lower not upper)

sorry to pull up an old post but...

for the 50mm inlet gasket can i file down the 42mm one as mine has a red mark where the 50mm begins to guide too otherwise its another weekend wasted as vw sent me the wrong gasket :( (lower not upper)

if it the gasket between the upper and lower then it shouldn't be a problem to file it down as long as it fits the outside diameter, i take it the inside diameter on the gasket is to small? (better to have the right parts tho, well done VW! :thumbleft:) if its the gasket that goes between lower and the head then they are the same.

Kr cams tend to have bigger sharper teeth on the sprokets, inlet cam is the one you want cause the exaust ones measure are the same, Abf exaust cams are a good swap for kr/9a exaust cams. wouldn't hurt to change the chain whist ya at it there quite cheap, get the timing marks all lined up before u start to make thing easier, inlet off, cam cover off, make sure u put all the cam holders back on in the same place they came from, and lube em up as you go, timings real easy, there's good guides on line, defo in the 16v section on club gti, cam belt is a pain to change whilst the engines in the car, some of the cover fastenings are difficult to get to, and the crank pulley has to come off to get the bottom cover off, you can cut the cam pulley end off kr/9a exaust cams and use them as inlet cams they have a higher lift, but u will have to make your own timing mark (again there's guides online, would advise u do your research before doin this) the smaller 42 mm inlet mani should be better for low down torque but I've personally found that the 50mm one was better all round, the kr inlet cam change is noticeably different but not massively differnt. If ya wanna get into messing with heads, standard kr heads flow better than standard 9a heads.