Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

24v, is it worth the money???

I bought my car about a month or so ago, its a 2nd car and I had the intention of keeping it for a while and doing a few things to it with respect to the engine. Now this may be happening sooner that I thought as it would appear that I might have oval bores on 1 & 6.

My intention was to save up a but of money and look at a 24v and possibly an R32. I dont have a garage and live in a town centre so it would be a impossible for me to do anywork myself therefore i contacted PSI. Im looking at £3.5k-£4K for a 2.8 conversion. The car is quite good with leather, coilvers, decat, exhaust etc but it does need some paint to be mint.

Im just wary of putting that much money into a car so it it worth it or should I just get a 2nd hand 12v and save £2.5k ish?

How much money would I get for the head as it has been skimmed, crack tested, gas flowed, and had inlet and exhaust port enlarged slightly, and all ports polished. The head has also had new tappets, new brass valve guides, new stem seals and all valves have been re seated etc

Is it really that much better and if going this route should I just wait and get the R32? Ive had a 4motion Golf and it was brilliant.

An engine rebuild will cost you a decent chunk of 3k if done really well, possibly more. The 24v is def the way forward. You're in the same predicament I was in, knackered car, either write off 2k or spend 4k!! Keep the Corrado, there gradually getting rarer.... :) :)

Yep!! R32, but I'm not paying a garage, although I am paying a friend whom I trust to do a better job and charge less, the downside is the amount of time it is taking...!!

Same dilemma here (my engines fine at the mo, just forward planning!).

I'm going down the rebuild route at some point as I believe a minter of a standard engined Corrado will be a better option and increasingly rare.

I reckon you'd get as much for a fully rebuilt Corrado as you would a 24v Corrado conversion, maybe more as a only people 'in the scene' will want to go for a conversation car. The R32 was a serious consideration for the extra bhp (when modded esp) and uniqueness.

My plan is now to fully rebuild the VR, poss uprate a few things and then Supercharge it.

The reason I've decided this is because I'd want a very reliable engine for the S/C and when it came to selling time I could just remove the supercharger and put it back to standard, then sell the charger.

You've got to ask yourself what your priority is, if its not financial or 'keep it original' then I'd defo go for the R32.

YES!

I can quite happily say I do not regret 24v'ing my C. I had the option of rebuilding it, but why? It would just be a VR6. It would have cost me a lot of money to have the same car which was worth the same amount. If you have a 100k car with a new engine, its still a 100k car. Thats how most people see it.

However, the route I went had a fair few advantage:

More BHP

More Torque

Newer technology

More economical

More responsive

Added value to my car

Rarer than a VR

The best thing you can do is drive a C with a 24v engine, and then a 12v. You will not believe the difference! Its a completely different animal. Im sure if you give James (Mystic Storm) a shout he'd be more than happy to take you out in it, and he's in Edinburgh.

Just my two penneth worth ;)

I'm going down the rebuild route at some point as I believe a minter of a standard engined Corrado will be a better option and increasingly rare.

I reckon you'd get as much for a fully rebuilt Corrado as you would a 24v Corrado conversion, maybe more as a only people 'in the scene' will want to go for a conversation car.

Gotta disagree with that, a 24v'd Corrado would easily fetch more than a rebuilt 12v Vr6

IIRC Stans went for £5k last year?

Very good examples of a VR6 (like low mileage) seem to be going for at least 4.5k (lets forget the credit crunch here) so a top and bottom end rebuild, basically a new engine surely would be worth at least that?

Can't be far off either way?

I reckon if you had 2 Corrados next to each other, both with the same mileage and in the same sort of condition, one with a rebuilt 12v and one with a new 24v, the 24v would fetch more.

Really speaking though, it's not just about the re-sale value - Stan has outlined above why a 24v is preferable to own - which is what really matters, unless you're a purist.

YES!

I can quite happily say I do not regret 24v'ing my C. I had the option of rebuilding it, but why? It would just be a VR6. It would have cost me a lot of money to have the same car which was worth the same amount. If you have a 100k car with a new engine, its still a 100k car. Thats how most people see it.

However, the route I went had a fair few advantage:

More BHP

More Torque

Newer technology

More economical

More responsive

Added value to my car

Rarer than a VR

The best thing you can do is drive a C with a 24v engine, and then a 12v. You will not believe the difference! Its a completely different animal. Im sure if you give James (Mystic Storm) a shout he'd be more than happy to take you out in it, and he's in Edinburgh.

Just my two penneth worth ;)

Im with you there. The cars not a minter and Im hopefully going to be keeping it for a while so Im not bothered about resale. I know the engine is so much better than the 12v. Thanks I was thinking of doing that but couldnt remember who had bought it, should have bought it when I had the chance and I would have saved a bit of money.

When I asked for a few quotes for an engine conversion (we're talking Awesome/PSI prices) then £5k was the minimum drive in drive out!

If you can do it yourself then it'd be much cheaper.

Although how much in parts would it cost to rebuild a 12v? If you did it yourself I'd bet you wouldn't break £1k!

i had a chat with the insurance company about the value of my car (when its working??) and i said approx 5k?? is this to low for what i have done to it??

karl

Andy - Parts for a 12v rebuild come to about £1200. I had them priced up.

You can get a 2.8 24v for that money, easy.

I sold mine for £6k, but only bought if for £4, so the money I spent on the engine I nearly recouped, seeing as I sold off the 12v head etc. Admittedly I got my conversion for a bargain price as it was his first one, but it still added a fair bit of money to the car. I also reckon if I'd kept it it would still be worth the same money now.

Karl - I insured mine with Brentacre with a £6k agreed price mate, £600 inclusive with a named driver, and protected.

Coullstar - Ive got his number if you want it mate, send me a PM if you do.

Yeah mine's going to be £635 with Brentacre, 5yrs protected NCD, clean license. there good guys there been with them for years apart from one stray year...

Many people have told me I'm commiting a mortal sin by doing an engine conversion on a Storm, but the way I look at it is it's my car, i'm never going to sell it in the forseeable future and I'll do what I want make it better car for me. I also know plenty who'd love an 3.2 storm though!!!

The Audi engine with all the extras etc out of a 55 plate TT with 11k cost me £1800 in the end (bit of hassle and negotiation here), and the whole lot will come in well under £5k, paying a friend to use his workshop and do the work as and when he can fit it in, although I have told him how to do the conversion and supplied all the info and wiring diagrams etc. It's 7months on now but the work being done is :thumb right:

forget the 12V, it's harder to do, and WILL be as expensive than a 24V 2.8 conversion.

There is a lot of discussion on the value of your respective cars.

Bear in mind the value of your car as your insurance company sees it.

If you are unlucky enough to have a slight scrape, the insurance company will look at the value of the car (see screenshot) and if the repairs are above 60% of the value according to Glass's guide - then it is written off as CAT C. My car was written off for a dent in the front wing and a broken headlight tab.

The point is - make sure you have an agreed value with the insurance company before taking the policy out!

You don't plan on having an accident but it happens.

Stan will PM you for the guys number, Ive PM'd him on here but Im not sure he comes on here much.

At the end of the day the major problem with the 12v is that is has very little low down grunt and with my problem looking like oval bores I really need a 2nd hand block or rebore with pistons. This isnt going to happen for less that £1500 and even then it may happen again plus you would be stupid to not do chain etc when the heads off. For a fixed 12v that Im happy with and running my head Im looking at £2k I reckon. I'll be honest and say that the VR is not really that fast anyway, it needs at least 30-40bhp more than standard.

For a 24v drive in drive out conversion on my car Im looking at £3.5k-4kmax with me getting the engine & manifold back to sell on. Should get at least £200 for the head as its effectively new plus £100 for the manifold then a few other bits plus that will give me 230bhp with more low down torque. As I said Im (hopefully) not selling soon so resale doesnt matter (pointless in the current market anyway) but I know if I was looking to buy Id rather have a 24v than a 12v, its simply a far better and superior engine.

Originality counts when you have a mint low mileage car thats going to stay that way but only when it comes to resale.

well i got an insurance quote from chris knott for my car, £410 fully comp with protected no claims etc etc. very impressed :)

Brentacre are known for under valuing project cars and their excess is ridiculous at £500.

Bear in mind also that Agreed value is seldom worth the paper it's written on. Apparently you only get the agreed value back if involved in a non fault accident. If you stack it in a ditch, you get book value. They won't tell you that before taking your money.

Just phoned my insurnace to check and wow Im not sure now, its going to be a whole £30 extra with an agreed value :D

Brentacre are known for under valuing project cars and their excess is ridiculous at £500.

Mines £200 excess with Brentacre?