Sign in to follow this  
doug_GT

n00b with questions =)

hey there im doug and im new to the site, as i currently have my polo GT which needs a bit of TLC :camp: for sale and im hoping to buy a 1.8 16v kr Corrado as a replacement. i apologize if ive posted this in the wrong place

just thought i'd ask a few questions,

would i be able to get a decent one for around a grand? been looking around and that seems to be the average price of them

what should i look out for as common problems with these?

what are the easiest/cheapest ways of getting an extra 30/40bhp out of the KR?

how do they compare to say a mk2 gti 8v for speed/comfort/handling/price???

does anybody wana buy a 93 polo gt ? lol :hitler: :norty:

anyway i hope to use this site more frequently, and thanks in advance 8)

hey there im doug and im new to the site, as i currently have my polo GT which needs a bit of TLC :camp: for sale and im hoping to buy a 1.8 16v kr Corrado as a replacement. i apologize if ive posted this in the wrong place

Hi matey :wave: we have all been little nooblets in the past :salute:

1. would i be able to get a decent one for around a grand? been looking around and that seems to be the average price of them

2. what should i look out for as common problems with these?

3. what are the easiest/cheapest ways of getting an extra 30/40bhp out of the KR?

4. how do they compare to say a mk2 gti 8v for speed/comfort/handling/price???

5. does anybody wana buy a 93 polo gt ? lol :hitler: :norty:

1. Should be able to, I got mine for a few hundred knowing it needs about another 500 spent on it. But there are some gooduns around for 800+

2. Have a look at the Wiki guide, TONs of info on the car including a Buyers Guide.

3. That's asking a LOT. You're trying to get 180hp out of a 1.8 16v! VW Motorsport managed it, but their engine is race spec. It definitely won't be easy or cheap. You can turbo or supercharge them too, but that definitely won't be easy or cheap either! Maybe you should buy the 2.0 16v as a base instead, which will need less work to get 180hp from it.

4. :shrug:

5. For Sale section dude! :grin:

just thought i'd ask a few questions,

would i be able to get a decent one for around a grand? been looking around and that seems to be the average price of them

what should i look out for as common problems with these?

what are the easiest/cheapest ways of getting an extra 30/40bhp out of the KR?

how do they compare to say a mk2 gti 8v for speed/comfort/handling/price???

does anybody wana buy a 93 polo gt ? lol :hitler: :norty:

anyway i hope to use this site more frequently, and thanks in advance 8)

Welcome to the forum mate.

Nothing to add really, just what Mr Boost said.

Oh and get on Edition38 forum, alot of other VAG owners on there who would be more likely be interested in a polo. :D

hey, thanks for the info. do you reckon you could link me to the rado buying guide ? i had a look and could only find the history of it

is the 2.0 16v easier to get extra power out of than the KR? are they much more to insure? im 19 ive just insured my polo for 700 and its an extra 400 insurance to swap to a 1.8

sorry for all the questions lol

and im on clubpolo and edition, everyone wanted to buy it when i didnt want to sell.....when i want to sell, no buyers haha

heres a random pic of my polo :D

DSCN2010.jpg

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... _Checklist

^^ Buying guide

Put an advert up in the classifieds if you want to sell the polo mate, it looks like a nice one.

With regards to the valvers, personally i'd go for a KR on your budget as you're more likely to find a goodun - and IMO they're a much better drive than the 9A, the downside being that you'll have to have an early car rather than the later one with the updated interior and bulge bonnet etc.

As for getting 30-40bhp more out of a valver, as others have said - they're not the easiest of engines to get more power from as there's very little you can do to them, if you want to fettle then you'd be better off with a G60. If you did go for the 9A though, a good way of getting 15bhp extra is to fit a KR inlet cam which makes them a bit more pokey.

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php?title=The_Corrado_Buying_Guide_%26_Checklist

^^ Buying guide

Put an advert up in the classifieds if you want to sell the polo mate, it looks like a nice one.

With regards to the valvers, personally i'd go for a KR on your budget as you're more likely to find a goodun - and IMO they're a much better drive than the 9A, the downside being that you'll have to have an early car rather than the later one with the updated interior.

As for getting 30-40bhp more out of a valver, as others have said - they're not the easiest of engines to get more power from as there's very little you can do to them, if you want to fettle then you'd be better off with a G60. If you did go for the 9A though, a good way of getting 15bhp extra is to fit a KR inlet cam which makes them a bit more pokey.

nice one for that pal

think i'll go for a kr then, there seems to be more of them about. not too bothered about the extra power side would just be nice to know it was able to be got easily. my polo responds really well to just a drilled airbox, chip and exhaust and its really quick for what it is. just dont want to buy a rado and find its boring because u cant feel the speed of the thing

i like g60s but theyre another 600 on the insurance which is too much really and i cant afford the added running costs of a supercharger as im a student so during term time i wouldnt be able to pay for things like charger rebuilds etc

I think the insurance group difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 is something silly? Someone would have to confirm. Common problems with the KR can be easily fixed, albeit the sunroof!

Not sure about 30-40, but as someone suggested the modified inlet cam seems to be a common choice. You could also put a 50mm inlet manifold on for a little bit of a bhp increase, resulting in lost torque..

Compared to a mk2? mk2 feels quicker off the mark imo, but the c outhandles it and is way more solid further up the rev range 8).

The valvers are quite quick..you just have to rev the balls off them...mk2 style 8)

Oh, and you won't regret it!

dont be scared of a G60!!! if you want one get one! chargers only need rebuilds every 40k (if already refurbed) if you look after it a standard charger will easily make 80k, i have had one that did it, all corrados no matter the engine will cost you some running costs :lol: a lot of people are scared of G60 reliabilty, i have had 2 and neither have ever had charger problems or any other engine problems to be fair

The polo GT looks a nice example, im sure you will sell it quickly, you will find the Corrado a superb handling and drivers car from the inute you climb in it, thats another quirk of the corrado, entry and exit is novel :lol:

I agree with what you're saying, G60's are fantastic motors and i've had 5-6 of them and have had no major troubles at all, but with a budget of £1000 I can't see him getting a trouble free G60 with a freshly built charger.

You have to remember, that your G60 has very low mileage and wasn't a cheap one! that has alot of bearing on how reliable yours has been :eek:

yeah is suppose so :norty: 64k G60`s dont come along too often i suppose :lol: mind you i only gave £2800 for the Corrado :grin: my G60 Rallye had don 86k when i got it from Germany though, and that was a 1 owner untouched example, charger had never even been off the car! but i did pay £6700 for that in 1998 :lol:

You can find them if you look around the right places :wink: even if its done 150k a charger rebuild is only £400 or so so its not mega like a new head on a valver or a burnt piston on number 1 cylinder on a VR6 :roll:

'Only' £400 to you, but to a 19 yr old student it's a fair whack, especially when you think of all the beer and high quality drugs that can be bought for that :lol: - and he'd also need to find an otherwise decent G60 for £600 to be within his budget when you include the £400 charger rebuild! not looking likely :lol:

You can pick up a decent early valver for a grand, that's probably his best option.

yeah i suppose so :( but if he stopped taking drugs and drinking snake bite for a couple of months he could afford one :D

and just think all that "study" time could be spent cleaning and fetling the car instead of hanging around the female halls of residence :D just maybe drop that past time to evenings between 9 and 1am 8)

Hiya Doug :wave:

Noticed over on BBG you had mentioned wanting a Corrado, will be good to have another one coming the meets!!

Hope you find a good one!

Have you been out in one yet? If you want a ride in one to make your mind up just give me a shout budc 8)

Hiya Doug :wave:

Noticed over on BBG you had mentioned wanting a Corrado, will be good to have another one coming the meets!!

Hope you find a good one!

Have you been out in one yet? If you want a ride in one to make your mind up just give me a shout budc 8)

yeah mate you'll defo have to take me for a ride, ive never been in one to be honest but they look sooooo mean i gotta have one

il come chat to you at the next meet am at 8)

and i would go for a g60, but got rent, beer, food and weed to buy so drains me funds haha :norty:

cool forum everyone :wave: