VAG-hag

Brembo 4 pots - will they go on?

I fitted a 23mm master cylindr from a United States spec Audi 5000GT. This was purchase from Ebay for $10 plus postage. It wa a straight swap and very easy to do.

All good fun

You don't have a part no. for that do you? Has your car got ABS?

Hi bud.

ABS....I wish haha no it a 1991 G60 so its a go-cart lol.

Part No? No not at this time but I'll have a look for you this week. The car is in Storage at uncles place for Winter. I ws up there ysterday new throttle cable, Bonnet Cable n a few bits n bobs.

the car fails MOT on....

Loose Allen key bolt on Momo Steering wheel. Drivers headlamp out of aim and a cip missing from Stering rack gaitor!!!

It certainley is in their interests these days to fail your car..

Catch you in the week will have a look for the part No.

As a thought I do have a SEAT 23mm master cylinder in the shed but the fittings are bigger. You would need to put new nipples on the end of your lines or get some sort of conversion kit for it.

The Audi is a straight swap and works superb with the 4 pot calipers.

Very interested in finding out this Part No. I was looking for a bigger MC for my Audi S2 calipers I have but couldn't quite pin down the right part I remember looking at Audi 2000 MC but not 5000GT! I too have no ABS, fun isn't it! :eek:

has anyone ever used Godspeed Motorsport before? i have been looking around for a brembo 4 pot kit and found his website. a bit pricey at £1000 for a complete set, or is that reasonable?

The 305mm (308mm) 4-stud Brembo kit is £745+carriage from Badger5.co.uk. The 323mm kit is £945+carriage.

So those kits from Godspeed are expensive, especially as I believe the prices are not inc. VAT and carriage. However, with those kits the discs are grooved and the ones with badger5 kits are standard. However, I don't believe this justifies the extra cost.

Cheers BigTartanJudge i will give badger5 a call tomorrow.

i assume that the calipers are the same. if the only difference is disks without grooves then i think i can live with that. i can always upgrade them if i feel the need later

how are you getting on Vag Hag with you quest for brembo 4 pots?

well crimbo has taken over for now but ill be back to sort some ASAP definately before our ring trip next year!!

if id have been a good boy maybe santa would bring me some but i like being bad so i guess he is pimping them on his sleigh..... :lol: :x-mas:

i have ordered some AP racing(didnt want red) 4 pot calipers for the front of my vr6. they should be coming new year

i had a thought though. can you get 4 pot calipers for the rear? i quite fancy big vented disks and calipers all round. at the moment i might just refurb the rears but i would like to get new stuff.

the obviously would need to have the handbrake on them im not sure what is available or if it is possible. any help?

good choice! i hear good things.

There is no point in going 4pot at the rear mate. but a good upgrade is the mk4 golf rears or the 280mm conversion. the search should help you on here....

Anyone got a source for the Leon Cupra R Brembo Brackets?

Original or manufactured to fit?

Any help would be appreciated as SEAT want 130quid each!

Found this VERY useful info on UK MKIVs. Enjoy....

"The 986S (Boxster S) has the same setup as a 996 Carrera 2/4 Boxster S calipers are Red,..... 996 Calipers are Painted Gloss Black or Silver as an option.

Buyer beware boxster rears 986.352.421 & 422 are configured for a 20mm disc and you cannot physically get this caliper over the top of a 25mm wide VAG 312 Disc. The difference ison the pad pegs, they extend further out onthe rears to fit the thinner discs

In summary

Boxster (2.5 & 2.7) Fronts - All Good (Need reversing though)

Boxster (2.5 & 2.7) Rears - No Good for VAG

Boxster S & Carrera 2/4 Fronts (and also 996 Twin Turbo rears) - Good for VAG on custom 330mm discs - search Rays (aRd)'s posts

Boxster S rears - Good for VAG dont need reversing

996 Carrera 2/4 Rears - Good for VAG dont need reversing

The calipers that DO need reversing have larger pistons, some see these bigger pistons as a benefit for ultimate stopping power with racing pads on a track. For fast street the smaller pistoned calipers all give forehead against windscreen performance with an absolute solid pedal because smaller pistons need less pedal travel which is Hydraulics 101!

Mike has 325mm Discs on 996 Rears (996.352.421 & 422), 325mm is the geometric limit for this caliper, its impossible to get pad placement without the disc hitting the inside of the caliper on anything bigger if you look at the pics theres a nats c0ck between the disc and caliper

Its 2mm bigger diamter than the 323mm brembo kit (anybody whos married knows the 2mm is very important!!) but more importantly has approx 1/2 as much more pad surface area again than the Leon Cupra kit, which ultimately is where the work is done.

More importantly anybody who wants to do a bit of DIY can have this kit together for under £500, anybody can contact me for help and the rarer components such as correct hoses (1/2 of us are/were driving around on the wrong fittings on our braided lines) and caliper carriers.

Carriers £120, Calipers from a Scrappy £150 (ebay prices are madness), Hoses £38, Pads £40, Optional 325mm disc kit £125, DIY Caliper strip and paint say £50, Grooved discs (optional) £57.

You can go and buy a Brembo GT kit at £900 from awesome or elsewhere and have an argueably inferior product! You can buy the bits for this kit over time and have the buzz of bolting it all up which for me is what dub moddings all about (not whos got the deepest pockets)

Plus because of the compact caliper and a largish discs, these look stunning under 17s such as the TT comp wheel and santa monicas - show stoppers! Try getting the Brembo GT caliper under a 17" rim !!!!

Sorry to gety off topic. Mike your brakes look awesome, Ray's right about the rears though"

Hope that is usefull for some folk 8)

i posted that link to that topic in another thread, it has some really usefullinfo in it.

chris just to let ya no, "boxster rears 986.352.421 & 422 are configured for a 20mm disc and you cannot physically get this caliper over the top of a 25mm wide VAG 312 Disc. The difference is on the pad pegs, they extend further out on the rears to fit the thinner discs"

while this is very true, all that many many people have done in the past is to grind the pegs back 3mm per peg to allow the fitment of wider discs, these callipers will allow a maximum discs thickness off 30mm.

Zak,

Similar thread but not the same. I had read through the one you posted up though - good reading.

Cheers Karl,

Thats good to know. Is this easy to achieve? Are the pegs something that can be removed, ground down & then re-attached? Suppose thats a silly question really... if others have done it!! Im sure ill see what you mean by pegs when i see the calipers in the "flesh". Have your APs arrived yet matey??

Im thinking ill go with Boxster S/ 996 C2(4) rears with either 232 x 28mm discs. or 325x 25mm discs. Its a learning curve man!!

Sorry to butt in here, I upgraded my G60 brakes to Brembos last year and after a complete nightmare I got them fitted. The reason for the nightmare was the mixing of Leon & Ibiza parts, stay away unless you want hassle.

From my knowledge this is what you need for a 1991 G60 4 stud set-up. This will bolt straight on, too.

1 pair of Seat Ibiza Cupra R Brembo 4 Pots

1 Pair of Seat Ibiza Cupra R Caliper Mounting Brackets

1 Pair of Seat Ibiza Cupra R Discs 305mm

1 Pair of 10-15mm wheel spacers

I pair of briaded brake hoses

Expect to pay around £450 for the lot secondhand.

Zak,

Similar thread but not the same. I had read through the one you posted up though - good reading.

I was doing a fair bit of reading so must have got confused with another thread i had read. Anyway its good to have the info on here for the people looking to put a kit together themselves.

I've been looking into this as well as after i go for the power option definately going down the big brakes route. I had found this thread on vwvortex forums which is the rear calipers from a boxster fitted to a 4 x 100 setup. I know this was mentioned in this thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2866578

The seat cupra r brake setup I can't seem to find anywhere, i know you said you'd pay £450 for the lot but is this sourced from breakers or just buying the parts seperately etc?

I've been looking into this as well as after i go for the power option definately going down the big brakes route. I had found this thread on vwvortex forums which is the rear calipers from a boxster fitted to a 4 x 100 setup. I know this was mentioned in this thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2866578

The seat cupra r brake setup I can't seem to find anywhere, i know you said you'd pay £450 for the lot but is this sourced from breakers or just buying the parts seperately etc?

When that kind of setup comes along its usually for the £4-500 mrk. & would prob cost this by picking up bits at a time. What I am doing is getting as much info as possible so when bits crop up I can jump on them! :clap:

I was looking in to it and was trying to convince myself as my ch's clear brembos without the need for spacers. But i decided against it as i i'll have my rs's back on again soon and my particular model rs have hardly any clearance, they didnt even clear my 288' without grinding the carriers a touch! I dont want to space my rs's so if i did fit a set i'd have taken them off and sold them as soon as i take my ch's off. Decided i was too busy and it was too much bother to run big brakes for a few months. But im always tempted so if i spot a bargain somewhere who knows :lol:

Hi all.

My front brake conversion is done. The most of time Ive spend on adapters.Got them fabricated by myself, not easy job as i thought.

But its worth it.

This is a list of parts ive used.

Second hand Fiat Coupe turbo or Alfa GTV Brembos with brand new pads.......£98(ebay)

EBC Grooved,drilled 323mm Seat Cupra brake discs......£170(ebay)

20mm spacers.......£50(ebay)

Hope its a bit useful information. :wave:

Mike has 325mm Discs on 996 Rears (996.352.421 & 422), 325mm is the geometric limit for this caliper, its impossible to get pad placement without the disc hitting the inside of the caliper on anything bigger if you look at the pics theres a nats c0ck between the disc and caliper

hi mate

i buy the 996.352.421 & 422 calipers.

do you know if i can put the 323mm disc from cupra in my VR6?

the caliper normaly use discs with 24mm and the 323mm has 28mm

i cant find pics from Mike brembos.

sorry my english, i´m portuguese

thanks