VAG-hag

Brembo 4 pots - will they go on?

Be careful with race brakes as they generally don’t come with dust seals to save weight. 
I nearly went the Brembo route but decided it was too much messing about and I didn’t want to have a long pedal movement. 
The guys at HiSpec made mine so the volume of the pistons was pretty much the same as the standard piston, so the travel is the same/similar, it took 1/2 hour to swap out the old set up and then just bleed. 
What I would say is that I probably went a bit big and now can’t fit the wheels I want. But the beauty of this setup is I can order different carriers and discs if I really want want them wheels ahaha 🤣.

With you not having ABS your brake master should cope better with the Brembos though but then you need a carrier and discs and pads

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Be careful with race brakes as they generally don’t come with dust seals to save weight. 
I nearly went the Brembo route but decided it was too much messing about and I didn’t want to have a long pedal movement. 
The guys at HiSpec made mine so the volume of the pistons was pretty much the same as the standard piston, so the travel is the same/similar, it took 1/2 hour to swap out the old set up and then just bleed. 
What I would say is that I probably went a bit big and now can’t fit the wheels I want. But the beauty of this setup is I can order different carriers and discs if I really want want them wheels ahaha 🤣.

With you not having ABS your brake master should cope better with the Brembos though but then you need a carrier and discs and pads

Thanks mate for jumping in the conversation! 

That's a good point about the dust shields. HiSpec B4 road do have them but looking at Compbrake website, there's no mention of it and in the pictures they look bare. So HiSpec may be a better choice. 

Did you went with the B4 mate or a 6 pots? Did you get rotors from them as well? I'm thinking of upgrading to a 312 rotor, all it's needed is TT or 337/GLI carriers pretty easy. When I deleted the ABS, I upgraded to a larger master cylinder so it should be perfect for a larger set-up. 

Cheers 

43 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks mate for jumping in the conversation! 

That's a good point about the dust shields. HiSpec B4 road do have them but looking at Compbrake website, there's no mention of it and in the pictures they look bare. So HiSpec may be a better choice. 

Did you went with the B4 mate or a 6 pots? Did you get rotors from them as well? I'm thinking of upgrading to a 312 rotor, all it's needed is TT or 337/GLI carriers pretty easy. When I deleted the ABS, I upgraded to a larger master cylinder so it should be perfect for a larger set-up. 

Cheers 

HiSpec will be able to supply everything you need, calipers, brackets, discs, pads, brake hoses - just give them a call & run through what you would like

I did sent them an email last night, we'll see what they say! True, I'll need braided lines as well so if they can provide these as well it would be great. What do you mean by brackets; carriers or some kind of custom brackets are needed to install the calipers onto the carriers? 

They sell braided lines, an adaptor is needed to bolt the caliper to the strut, they do that, they do the hi-tensile bolts, everything you need, even brake fluid !

8 minutes ago, dragon green said:

They sell braided lines, an adaptor is needed to bolt the caliper to the strut, they do that, they do the hi-tensile bolts, everything you need, even brake fluid !

Thanks for the precision! Good to know about the adapter and even better to know they have it all! 

Oh man, this looks good! Are those rotors 312? With 6 pot calipers, you'll need 17" wheels? 

1 minute ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh man, this looks good! Are those rotors 312? With 6 pot calipers, you'll need 17" wheels? 

as mentioned before m8 - phone them....tell them your exact wheel specs & they will tell you what caliper / disc options will fit for your setup

much easier to discuss options on the phone than over email

2 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

as mentioned before m8 - phone them....tell them your exact wheel specs & they will tell you what caliper / disc options will fit for your setup

much easier to discuss options on the phone than over email

Totally agree with you mate but phoning from canada with 8 hours difference can be tricky even even trickier when English is your second language. I get by good writing, speaking especially on the phone not so much! 

Just now, ABV-VR6 said:

Totally agree with you mate but phoning from canada with 8 hours difference can be tricky even even trickier when English is your second language. I get by good writing, speaking especially on the phone not so much! 

ohhhh the canada & time difference is a challenge i agree lol

3 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

just enough room on the bbs. Should have gone 310mm

As above if you make an firm enquiry about a specific set up they send you a printable scale pdf of the disc and Caliper, print it off stick it to some cardboard, cut it out and put it to the inside of your wheel. Takes all the guesswork out of it. What I didn’t take into account was if you have split rims on 17” you are left with 16” cast clearances, so I’d have been better in the long run with 310mm

18 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I thought you’d got all new brake callipers and lines on the front already 

7 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I thought you’d got all new brake callipers and lines on the front already 

I did, went with just a step above using DE set-up. They are super heavy as well. But that's all I could fit under my Schmidt modern line. I have some BBS LM's coming at one point from Japan. Thinking of upgrading. 

Those 6 pots of yours, are they the Monster version? And do they have dust boots? 

Mine are monster 6 pots, yes they have dust boots, all their road versions have them, only their race versions don’t. 
You are probably better off waiting until you get the wheels to see if the hispecs fit. I’ll send you the template for my set up and you can try it on your Schmidt wheels. Off set of the callipers will be the same, but obviously the callipers will come in 12.5 for the smaller disc

16 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I did, went with just a step above using DE set-up. They are super heavy as well. But that's all I could fit under my Schmidt modern line. I have some BBS LM's coming at one point from Japan. Thinking of upgrading. 

Those 6 pots of yours, are they the Monster version? And do they have dust boots? 

Sent you the email they sent me. 
You’ll note the guys name. He’s the one you want to deal with. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds good, thanks mate. Yes, I probably should wait to get the next set of wheels but most likely I will go for 4 pots so it should be fine. Although yours are pretty tempting, mat he'd with 312 that would be amazing... 

Just to confirm my last thoughts, hopefully! 

When you guys swapped to larger 310/312 rotors. You do have to install carriers that were meant for those disks (TT, 337,Gli) right? 

And that adapter/shim provided by HiSpec is to recenter the caliper with the new rotor width? That adapter/shim goes between the carrier and the knuckle, correct? 

Cheers! 

The adaptors are the carriers. They are the grey things below the callipers in my photo of the kit, you replace the carriers you have on with those and then bolt your calliper to that. If you buy their kit you only need brake fluid. 

5 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

The adaptors are the carriers. They are the grey things below the callipers in my photo of the kit, you replace the carriers you have on with those and then bolt your calliper to that. If you buy their kit you only need brake fluid. 

Oh!! That's pretty cool! It means that I don't even have to buy larger carriers then, that's great! Probably save a good amount of weight as well. Thank you for explaining how it works. Cheers mate 

I contacted HiSpec a couple of time but haven't heard anything back yet, I guess it's the holidays... 

That gave me time to look at clearances and rethink my original plan etc... I don't think I'll go for 312 discs anymore, it won't clear the concave shape of the Schmidt's Modern Line and my next set is a 2 pieces wheel so even in 17", they'll be like a 16". Anyways, I think there might be a feel able difference between standard Corrado 280 to 312 but I already have Driver Edition 288x25 so they're pretty close or close enough to 312 already. 

To minimize the shipping cost, I'll just buy locally EBC discs and red pads. I'll only need a pair of calipers. I would love if they were making the Billet 4 model in a Billet 6 but only option is Monster 6 like Shaun and it's too big for my wheels. 

Does any of you have those Billet 4 on 288 discs? I would be curious to know your feedback! Cheers all

I upgraded from the standard 280s to 288s on mine (about 15 years ago tbh!) I do remember thinking that they were less prone to fading on hard driving and braking.  A bit more sensible now so dont do as much of that tbh, but definitely a good improvement.  I imagine some better calipers would be even better.  From what i understood, the difference between the 288s and 312s was not so noticeable, although aesthetically they do fill the wheel better!

Not sure if that comment was of any use or totally off topic..

Hasan

Edited by fla

29 minutes ago, fla said:

I upgraded from the standard 280s to 288s on mine (about 15 years ago tbh!) I do remember thinking that they were less prone to fading on hard driving and braking.  A bit more sensible now so dont do as much of that tbh, but definitely a good improvement.  I imagine some better calipers would be even better.  From what i understood, the difference between the 288s and 312s was not so noticeable, although aesthetically they do fill the wheel better!

Not sure if that comment was of any use or totally off topic..

Hasan

Always good to hear from you Hasan off topic or not! It kind of confirms what I read and my thoughts. The 288 is also 25mm thick just like the 312 so it's basically "just" the discs that's wider. They use the same pad size as well. I think passing from a 280x22 to 312x25 and larger pads would definitely be a more noticeable upgrade. 

The downside of the DE 288 upgrade is its weight compared with the 280's. But with a billet caliper like HiSpec all of this is taken care of and I bet they're even lighter than the 280 calipers. 

4 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I contacted HiSpec a couple of time but haven't heard anything back yet, I guess it's the holidays... 

That gave me time to look at clearances and rethink my original plan etc... I don't think I'll go for 312 discs anymore, it won't clear the concave shape of the Schmidt's Modern Line and my next set is a 2 pieces wheel so even in 17", they'll be like a 16". Anyways, I think there might be a feel able difference between standard Corrado 280 to 312 but I already have Driver Edition 288x25 so they're pretty close or close enough to 312 already. 

To minimize the shipping cost, I'll just buy locally EBC discs and red pads. I'll only need a pair of calipers. I would love if they were making the Billet 4 model in a Billet 6 but only option is Monster 6 like Shaun and it's too big for my wheels. 

Does any of you have those Billet 4 on 288 discs? I would be curious to know your feedback! Cheers all

I very much doubt off the shelf discs will fit the 4 pots and off the shelf OE type pads definitely wont - you'll need to buy their complete kit.

Pads to suit the 4 pots, their suitable diameter discs to suit your wheels (to be sure of fitment they'll probably ask you to measure accurately the clearance) and bespoke adaptors to bolt to Corrado knuckles, machined to the offset and diameter of their discs and bolt to their callipers.