Sign in to follow this  
Stu_pot

8v Immobiliser problem

Good afternoon I was hoping you guys could help.......

We're having a few problems with our 2ltr 8v 1995 Corrado. It all started a while ago with the key fob having problems with chewing up batteries every two weeks or so which wouldnt have been a problem but the only key we have for the car works the ignition and not the doors so the fob is our only way into the car and essential for starting the car.

We kept changing the batteries which was fine but eventually that didnt work, the fob works but the cars not recieving the signal for some reason.

Having now rummaged around I have found 3 seperate alarm systems have been fitted to the car. Two are inactive 1 is active. The active one appears to be the original VAG item due to the branding on it.

It has two multi plugs 1 big and 1 small when unplugging the big one all the systems work all the dash lights come on but the starter wont turn at all. As apposed to when it is connected no systems come on and no dash lights.

Is there an easy way of removing or rewiring this device so we can start and drive the car without the key fob?

There is no easy way to sort such things I'm afraid Stu: most Corrado wiring looms seem to have been butchered in the past :sad:

I'm also less and less surprised that there are people with car keys that only do 2 of 4 locks (tailgate, driver door, passenger door, ignition). Mine is like that (ignition key only does tailgate too!), and I hardly ever take the spare door keys with me (although if the remote central locking died, I'd need the spare for the doors and then the main key for the ignition :cuckoo: )...so strange.

Can you get some pictures up of the wiring? that might at least help some people diagnose the problem. Otherwise this is a very good time to send the car to an auto electrician IMHO....but I hate electronics :pale:

heh you and me both I cant stand electronics, which is probably why i didnt do so well in the electronics part of my degree lol! nuts bolts and oil are fine but electrics no.....

I'll get a pic of the wires and box tonight and go from there.....

Does yours not have the factory immobiliser if it's a 95 car? There's a chip in the key and a decoder box under the dash?

95 VR6s have it, but maybe the 8V didn't?

Personally, I would gut out all 3 alarms and start from scratch with 1 of them.

It's very easy, just need to be patient. All 3 will almost certainly cut into the starter motor and fuel pump relay circuits. Tell tale wiring is easy to spot, just simply rejoin the VAG wires back together. The alarm wires are always 1 colour to confuse oppurtunist thieves, but they all end up at a box with "CLifford" (or something) written on it :D

Once the car wiring is back to stock, you can see if you still have issues or not.

Right well thanks for all your tips and hints. We have now solved the issue by ripping out all the old immobilsors and putting the original wiring back together. Thankfully the key was all matched to the car so that worked aswell!

one working Rado!!! cheers guys, now all i have to do is sort out my bloody skoda!!!