Sign in to follow this  
LJ

Passat W8 ...

I've only seen a couple of these rare beasties before, but followed a W8 Estate on a 51 plate this morning. I liked the discreet quad pipes out the back.

I've only seen a couple of these rare beasties before, but followed a W8 Estate on a 51 plate this morning. I liked the discreet quad pipes out the back.

well spotted they are a strange and mythical beastie... awesome machine though!

Andi the forum admin has a Passat W8. I was amused to read up on the specs of it, and subsequently discover that (because it is an understressed and modern engine) it returns better fuel economy than my 2.0 16v... hah...

as the W8 factor puts people off

I think petrol / insurance / repair worries are the overriding factor.

Has anybody put a W8 in a Corrado yet? :norty:

Hehe nice thinking, but it mounts the other way around, so would be a bit tricky. The R36 on the other hand...

I've just seen these on pistonheads.com, they are not far off, or indeed are Corrado money. All-wheel-drive, plus a massive amount of torque and just a shade of the Corrado to 60mph. Hmmm...interesting.

My dads boss has one which he uses when he's over from Holland. I got given the keys for the evening and took it a lengthy spin around the city and motorways...amazing machine to drive - 280bhp, 4.0l, 0-60 in 6.5s if I remember correctly. Its very understated but great fun to drive, especially with the 4wd. I pester my dad everytime he's over from Holland to get the car again! It was a good laugh flooring it at the lights with the guys in their 3 series beemers, mercs...next set of lights they'd pull up beside you and eye the car up and down! Great stuff! :lol:

passat w8 are nice cars but sadly not much tuning potential

mine was 2.8 v6 supercharged which I got bored and now has a 2.7T lump in it :D more fo a sleeper (especially once I get rid of the exhaust system) and crap loads of torque :D

Oooh, how did I miss this thread?

Yes, I have a W8 and its a great beast! Perfect sleeper and effortlessly whooshes up to 150+mph.. (in Germany, of course).

I am, sadly, going to have to sell up in a week or two though.

She is used so little (every couple of weeks now!) and with a company car, there's just no point...

It's heart breaking, but financially although I'd love to keep her - she will have to go before the depreciation kicks in too much.

I'm hoping there's still petrol heads out there that don't care about tax (I certainly don't!) and yes, it will easily do 30mpg :)

And beats the living daylights out of most cars off the lights :)

Watch this space... :(

Soon to be joined in the rarity stakes by the lesser spotted Passat R36

ha ha... i didn't even realise they were actually on sale in the UK yet until i saw a black R36 estate whip through the centre of Southampton yesterday lunch-time, which in a publicity-like twist was tearing away from an RS4 :D