Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Mates R32 Storm - MAPPED.. by friend&Myself!

UPDATE!!

2 months of not touching the Storm in order to finish other projects I'm now back on it..! I move out of my current rented house in 2 weeks and the car needs to be finished, or at least running! So the story so far is ....

Wiring is almost done, all I need to do now is supply the ECU earths and lives then I will need to splice into the corrado loom for things like dials, fuel pump etc etc.. so I think there is 8-9 wires left to sort out. 2 hrs work max I hope! (3-4hrs in the cold weather)

Using a standard VR6 throttle body and a standard fly-by R32 TB I now have a 'manual' operated R32 version. I need to pop by Halfrauds tonight and get hold of some ali wire and argon gas so I can attack the potentionmetre side over the course of the next couple of days. I plan to use the VR potentionmetre and ali weld it to the other side of the R32 TB (see pics!) It would be a touch to finish that this week. I also made a mock-up cover out of carboard that I will replicate out of glass fibre then maybe cover in carbon..

I need to get going with the laptop this week so I can get the Emerald ready with its start up map so the car will hopefully fire first time etc. R888 cut slicks have just turned up at work so I can get those fitted this week.. I have an eibach ARB to fit, slim line fans and move the rad forward to miss the inlet and thats it!!!!!

God this will be tight to have the car running by the 20th!! One weekend left!!! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Then the car is going to Norfolk to my folks place where inbetween socialing with the family I can shoot out to the garage and prep the car for a re-spray in the new year.. also Emerald is about 30 mins from my folks for when the time is right to map the car!

Then in the new year I'm booked to build a 700bhp spec R32T :)

HHHEEELLLPPPPP :help:

I’ve had all this week off work to crack on with the R32 Storm. I’ve been really successful in wiring the Emerald K3 ECU and although everything works (to the best of my knowledge) its not started as off yet!! The issue lies with obtaining a spark, so I’m hoping someone might be able to think of something myself and my fellow wiring guru haven’t thought of yet to spread some light on the situation.

The issue -

I’ve checked the individual coil pack wiring about 30 times but on the R32 engines you have individual coil packs, all off which have red plugs with 4 pins. You have a common earth to the head, a common main earth, a switched 12v live (which on the factory wiring is split by x2 wires, cyl 1-3 and cyl 4-6, so I’ve just connected them up together and connected them to a relay as one) and individual trigger wires.

With my setup I have the Emerald (supposedly!!) pushing 3 ignition driver signals and have paired up the cylinders in the correct firing order. All have been tested and are wired up as follows -

Emerald ECU Pin 4 = cyl 3+4

Emerald ECU Pin 5 = cyl 5+2

Emerald ECU Pin 25 = cyl 1+6

I have a 2.8 24v Emerald map as my startup map, which should be fine. BUT it might not be? Has anyone got an specific R32 Emerald K3 map I might be able to try just in case?

I have about 9.5 to 10.3v on cranking making its way to the coils which should be enough to fire the coils for a spark, but might not be?

The issue lies with the trigger wires not sending the signal. Because its such a small signal happening so fast my multimeter has no chance of reading the signal on all 6 trigger wires so I ran a test to rule out the fact that the coils or spark plugs might be dud. I ran a false (quick) 12v supply to the trigger pins on the coils, earthing the spark plug out on the head to see if a spark occurred, which it did.. So the earths and switched 12v works fine on the wiring, the coils are fine and the spark plugs are fine. So I rechecked the trigger wiring, all still wired as listed above but it still will not spark/start on turnover. So we upped the spark firing length from 3.0ms to 4.0ms on the emerald map, made no difference. I think its something to do with the map OR perhaps lack of voltage. There simply can’t be anything else wrong.. Or is there?

Any ideas however simple or stupid they may sound please fire away!! Anyone experience this issue before with any aftermarket management on the R32 or 2.8 24v engines????

I'm all out of ideas myself :scratch:

Cheers

Ben

Ben, wiring don't you just love it!

which on the factory wiring is split by x2 wires
why do they use two wires when they could use one? Also, maybe a daft question, but what are you using to pull the relay over? Ignition live?

Perhaps get a resistor onto your 12V supply or use a variable power supply and see if the coils can work with just 10V :shrug:

Not wishing to sound defeatist Ben but how far is Dave Walker's workshop from your folks' place?

Short of going through the whole loom all over again merely to end up wondering if it's something in the config of the ECU triggering it might be sensible to get it booked in anyhow (you can cancel later if you do find the fault)

JD pointed me at your post last night so he's seen your plight. Might it also be worth a cheeky post on Club GTi? There must surely be a few more people with R32/K3 experience on there (and DIY to boot) with brains to pick?

Big J

this may be of no use to you at all Ben, but when my mate did an r32 install into a Rallye it also would not start until it had the airfilter properly attached??

take airfilter off it would not start, bung airfilter back on and it would start :cuckoo:

hope yours is that easy, but i doubt it.

this may be of no use to you at all Ben, but when my mate did an r32 install into a Rallye it also would not start until it had the airfilter properly attached??

take airfilter off it would not start, bung airfilter back on and it would start :cuckoo:

hope yours is that easy, but i doubt it.

All points are valid,but its not going to help get a spark chap.

Crank sensor is working as I get a green light on the ECU, a spark can take place using a coil and earthing the the plug out on the head while giving it a false 12v trigger... so its either voltage drop or the triggers are not working!! :brickwall:

Not wishing to sound defeatist Ben but how far is Dave Walker's workshop from your folks' place?

Short of going through the whole loom all over again merely to end up wondering if it's something in the config of the ECU triggering it might be sensible to get it booked in anyhow (you can cancel later if you do find the fault)

JD pointed me at your post last night so he's seen your plight. Might it also be worth a cheeky post on Club GTi? There must surely be a few more people with R32/K3 experience on there (and DIY to boot) with brains to pick?

Big J

Not an option as they are not open again until the 5th Jan.. they had 1.5 weeks off for christmas.

B

Ben, wiring don't you just love it!

which on the factory wiring is split by x2 wires
why do they use two wires when they could use one? Also, maybe a daft question, but what are you using to pull the relay over? Ignition live?

Perhaps get a resistor onto your 12V supply or use a variable power supply and see if the coils can work with just 10V :shrug:

They needs 12v.. but I'm only getting 9.5 to 10v on cranking, this may be the issue!

sorry to hear you're having these issues buddy - really wish i could help, but i am certainly no wiring guru (which is why i chickened out on my own car and paid someone else to do it).

really hope you get it all sorted asap. if it's any use to you (doubt it as you are running emerald, nut...) i can give you the number of the guy who sorted my wiring out (07775677411 - Mark at South West InCarTech) - he's a really nice guy, very helpful and i would be very surprised if he didn't know something that could help you...

Are your engine earths all nicely fitted and clean? How about the wiring to the starter? Have you tried jumping it with another battery while you crank the car? I'd be interested to see if you can get rid of the voltage drop. Is it wired in so the x relief relay cuts power inside while cranking?

sorry to hear you're having these issues buddy - really wish i could help, but i am certainly no wiring guru (which is why i chickened out on my own car and paid someone else to do it).

really hope you get it all sorted asap. if it's any use to you (doubt it as you are running emerald, nut...) i can give you the number of the guy who sorted my wiring out (07775677411 - Mark at South West InCarTech) - he's a really nice guy, very helpful and i would be very surprised if he didn't know something that could help you...

thanks mate..

Are your engine earths all nicely fitted and clean? How about the wiring to the starter? Have you tried jumping another battery while you crank the car? I'd be interested to see if you can get rid of the voltage drop. Is it wired in so the x relief relay cuts power inside while cranking?

Tried jumping with another batt.. lifted the voltage by about 0.5v, made no difference.

Relay stays on while cranking as the ECU stays on and the coils are powered by the same ignition live feed.

Keep the ideas coming :brickwall:

E38 forum has come up with a couple of good ideas, so will try those now.

B

E38 forum has come up with a couple of good ideas

:shock: :lol:

Good luck with it. Almost there now...

update...

ITS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

Ecu had the wrong ignition output signal so sent it back to Emerald and they changed it for me, so plugged it in this morning and it fired first time.

Anyway, I have the weekend to finishing fabricating the TB cable mount, TB heat sheild, move the rad forward and tidy the wiring. Then its onto the body.. i did the first wing over the christmas break, basically removed the rust, ready for filler and prepping. So only the respray and remap remaining really.. oh and an MOT.

Some pics -

Even got a Clarkson sprayjob.

haha.. it was just to keep it from rusting. Will sand it back and filler etc when i get onto prepping it.

Small update, got the TB finished off with a bracket made to house the throttle cable. It acts as a heat shield as well for a water pipe. Anyway, managed to get the wiring tidied up and make a start at fitting the rad. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow so I can run it up to temp. Exhaust is blowing a bit on the crappy connection between the manifold and de-cat pipe. Need shorted bolts so I can tighten it all up. Other than that I have a small list of sensors to connect up like RPM, Speedo, Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure etc etc but getting there. One more w/e required to have it ready for mapping. Then its over to the body work..

Couple of pics of the TB bracket I made today...

Bit of an update for the corrado project..

Finally had a weekend free to make it back to the folks to start prepping my mates corrado. Its booked into the bodyshop next w/e so I had today and Ive got tomorrow off work to get it ready.. I just hope the weather cheers up in the morning.. As you can see we are not painting it all, the bonnet, roof and bumpers are all fine, the rest is being smartened up and rust removed. Respray will remain the same color as the original. Need to get that dent out in the morning on the front drivers wing. Should have another update tomorrow evening.

:wave:

col mate, looks like your a dab hand at everything then eh! lol looking forward to seeing the finished product with this!

I wouldn't go that far chap but trying to bring the cost of the respray down..

Anyway, battled with the cold and wind today but at least it stayed dry! Didn't get as much as I wanted done but the pass side is 90% there, the rear is about 60% and the drivers needs a good day on it..

Hopefully it will be in the body shop next weekend.

pics...