Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Steering column play

The steering has some play in it which is more noticable when driving over bumps & surface changes. My old mk2 had higher milage and on the original rack, and felt much more solid.

It has had a new steering rack fitted by a previous owner about a year ago(there is a service report from 1998 that advises play in steeering column)

The new rack wasn't a genuine part, probably a german & swedish one, could this be the reason for the play?

Could the 'play' just be because the Corrado has a firmer susp/roll bar set up, therefore more is felt through the s/wheel?

Genuine racks cost a fortune, I wouldn't want to shell out for one that will feel no better than the existing rack!

cheers,

Hiya!

Can you define "play" a bit better? 8) Is it:

Left to right movement of the wheel?

Free play when turning the wheel before it acts on the road wheels?

Forwards and backwards movement of the wheel towards and away from yourself?

Up and down movement of the wheel?

There shouldn't be ANY of the above on a 'rado, so at least you know that there is something not quite right and it's not just the suspension differences... :?

Let us know, and we'll see what people come up with... 8)

Sorry, I meant free rotational play before it acts on the wheels. In normal driving it isnt that noticeable, it seems to be on bumpy/potholed roads, expansion gaps on bridges etc, then u feel the 'knock' as the play is taken up on the rack.

Sometimes you'll feel it 'knock' back and forth and the wheels move around on the bumps.

Guess I should get both front wheels up in the air and check the free movement that way.

thanks,

OK, that clears that up nicely... You can eliminate the mounting of the steering column under the dash, and the bearing on the column behind the steering wheel, as well as the joint on the end of the column not being tightly fastened to the column end! 8)

With the front end jacked up, check the track rod ends for play, check the shock assemblies for movement (both top and bottom), check the wishbones for movement on the bushes, and get someone to turn the steering wheel side to side while you hold a wheel to see if you can see where the play is coming from.

It sounds like it's more likely to be trackrod ends than the rack to me, as the rack normally needs quite a lot of force to move the trackrods in and out so you're more likely to get play in the trackrods than in the rack... :?

Good luck!

I would have a look at the rear bush on the front wishbone. These are a bit prone to wear on higher milage cars and is not easily picked up. If there is noticable knock as the wheels move it may be worth a look.

Riki.

check the rack mounts. I thought my rack was gone again (it was only replaced by VW over a year ago :shock: ) Turned out the VW mechanics had not tightened it onto the subframe properly. (really not surprised as I've had to re-do every other bit of work they've done) The creak/groan/knock was being caused by the rack actually moving 5-10mm in either direction. Tightened these 4 13mm bolts properly and all noised disappeared.

The rack shouldn't move when the wheel is turned.

cheers fella's.

will give it a good check over next weekend.

Got stuck fixing the girlfriends corsa this weekend, god they are a bugger to work on!!

Had the front suspension changed today and the tracking & camber set-up, all the steering problems have gone away!

It feels solid with no play at any driving speed, and bumps in the road are no longer felt through the steering, the wheel doesnt flinch either.

The tracking was way out on one wheel & the camber was all over the place on both, I'm guessing this prevented road shock from being absorbed through the suspension in the normal way.

I'm well pleased its all sorted 8)

cheers,

Had the front suspension changed today

What, all of it? ;)

Which bits were replaced, and which bits were adjusted, for future reference..

Sorry yeah, sounded a bit daft that!

Just had the front shocks, springs & top mounts replaced.

The tracking/camber was way way out, which probably affected the way bumps were absorbed by the wheels/susp hence all the crashy ride/exaggerated steering play.

The old shocks were an unmatched pair and one was very cheap & nasty thing which probably didn't help much.

Pleased to say it the car now feels nice, smooth and solid in all respects like the old golf did..... :)

Anyone know how to replace the steering column...??

There's four big bolts holding it to ... (* insert correct word here), and I can only see the heads of two of them from below (allan keys), I assume the other two are bolted *down* from *above*. How do I get to these?

What about the bearings on the column? Can these be replaced or refurbished or even adjusted?

The steering play on my column is the reason for my crappy steering feel, so it needs swapping I think.