Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

Split CV Gaitors...grease everywhere.

i have a damaged CV gaitor on the driver side side of the driveshaft.

Theres also a small pin prick hole in the passenger side one..

I noticed yesterday that there was grease smeared all over the inside of my wheel arch and grease all over the subframe and leaking onto the wheel.

What i'd like to know is, is this serious??

what will happen if i carry on using the car with the rubber bits pierced?

Is it dangerous?

:roll:

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sanjay.

Worst case, both CV joints need replacing. Best policy, fit new boots. Cost about £15 a pair from GSF. Take about 2 hours tops in labour if you are not doing it yourself.

Not dangerous in the short term but needs doing now you know!

Gavin

Alloy wheel cleaner/protector is the biz for getting rid of all that grease from the inside of your rims.

It's only dangerous if the grease gets on the brake disc, but that's what the shield plates are for, so you should be OK.

I would replace the boots ASAP to avoid wrecking the joints with grit.

Kev

dubprince

just done my outer CV boots cos mine were in pieces (split all the way round on both sides) and it took about 2 hours a side including changing the top mounts on the struts at the same time.

mine had been gone for a while and i lived in the desert at the time but the CV joints themselves had no damage to them luckily but as the others said, better to do it sooner than later.

are you planning on doing them yourself??

What i'd like to know is, is this serious??

what will happen if i carry on using the car with the rubber bits pierced?

Is it dangerous?

:roll:

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sanjay.

its also a MOT failure point.........but as others have said get it seen to asap.....my driver's side one was split last year for so i decided to get the pass.side one done at the same time........got the CV boot kit from VW at £13 per side and paid £20 a side to get fitted at my local garage......most decent garages should find this not a problem to do at all

£20 a side?? oh my god...its £33 for an hour of labour at my garage i use.

so i'm talkin £26 for CV kits...and about £100's worth of labour costs to get it put right..

the cv boots are only split on the top...but its not a clear cut on either of them. They are just being squeezed of the grease and then as it spins the grease is being shot everywhere.

I haven't got £130 right now...i will get it done ASAP after xmas though...

Will it be ok till then if i just use it for work and back? i hope so

Thanks for all your input guys, i appreciate the help. and no...sadly i don't have time to replace the CV's myself and it looks like a messy job too.

I already found it a nightmare replacing my wishbone on the passenger side 2 months ago..and now this will take time too.

I'm hoping my garage can do the CV's at an hour per side. and i get discount at GSF so i should be able to get them cheap anyway.

Might get drivers one done now and then the other after xmas. :?

£20 a side?? oh my god...its £33 for an hour of labour at my garage i use.

so i'm talkin £26 for CV kits...and about £100's worth of labour costs to get it put right..

the cv boots are only split on the top...but its not a clear cut on either of them. They are just being squeezed of the grease and then as it spins the grease is being shot everywhere.

I haven't got £130 right now...i will get it done ASAP after xmas though...

Will it be ok till then if i just use it for work and back? i hope so

Thanks for all your input guys, i appreciate the help. and no...sadly i don't have time to replace the CV's myself and it looks like a messy job too.

I already found it a nightmare replacing my wishbone on the passenger side 2 months ago..and now this will take time too.

I'm hoping my garage can do the CV's at an hour per side. and i get discount at GSF so i should be able to get them cheap anyway.

Might get drivers one done now and then the other after xmas. :?

the £20 per side was a casher.........might be an idea to speak to a friendly(decent) mechanic :wink:.......

can understand with xmas coming up and all that........its not so much the "losing" the grease thats the problem......its the fact all the ingress of grit,crap and water that can play havoc with the joints etc......i just thought it would be sod's law that you get 1 side done and then a month later the other side would need doing......by all means just get the "split"-side done first again sooner rather than later :wink:

Sounds like you need to do some learning Dubprince. You'll save a mint.

Is there a college near you that teaches motor vehicle mechanics? Have a word with the lecturers, maybe they'll let the students do it for you, for a 'donation'?

I reckon VW would do them for less than £130. Lots of jobs on old dubs are cheap. A full service on my mates G60 C was only £70, well worth that to keep the history looking smart.

Gavin

Dubprince

GSF do the boot kit thats the originals for 6 quid...ish a side!! can check part no's on my receipt if you like?

its not that messy and its not that hard to do as long as you have a decent socket set, a pair of axle stands and a BIG bit of pipe to get the hub loose with......and a garage is preferable but not essential!!

worth thinking about when your max setback cost for the stands, boot kit and bar is going to be bout 40 quid in comparisson to 100 ish!! (as well as a day's work for the less exprienced) :D

here we go again...i took the advice someone ave me about doing the wishbone myself...so i guess i'll take a look and see what i can do.

Getting the hub loose is my only worry and also tightening up them bolts again.

I'll ring my garage and gte a qoute to see how much they'll chearge all in to do both.

I think i'll get them done asap!

Thanks again for all your help guys...and H100VW, i wish the tutors at the college would allow that to happen but i think they might not. I'll ask my mate who used to get taught there...but he hated it so gave up.

Actually i ave a mate doin an apprenticeship...totally forgot..i could ask him i guess.

Anything is better than doing it myself in the freezing cold and finding out i need sommit else, if i break sommit. :lol:

A short term solution is to buy some cv grease from halfords or a motor factors, squeeze it into the split. Then clean it up and super glue the boot again. This will only work if its only slightly split. I might be enough to see you through christmas without wrecking your cv joints. You really dont want to get any salt or crap in there.

Riki.

i wouldnt really say that superglue is a quick fix cos its brittle when dry so as soon as you turn the wheel if its anything bigger than a pinhole its going to split again.

also i totally agree that if the boots are knackered then it will screw your cv joints eventually but mine were split all the way round on both sides of the car before i realised there was a problem so i was diriving round for a good few months with completely split cv boots. to add to that when i stripped them down most of the grease had already splattered all over the alloys so there was barely enough lubrication at all :shock:

to add to that again i was living in a desert at the time where there is no better place to screw the cv up with all that nice fine but gritty sand. :cry: anyway when i replaced the boots i cleanded the cv joints up and there was no abbrasive wear from grit sand or anything else they were absoloutly fine! :D i already had in mind that it was likely that i would have to replace them both as well but i didnt :D

to be as safe as houses you do need to get them done sooner or later but from my experience (i know everyone else may not be so lucky) then as long as you dont leave them for months and months then you should be ok to hold out.

when i stripped mine last week to check them a lot of grit was left in the bottom of the tub i washed them in but they were ok at the end of the day!

if you want a bit of an instruction guide to follow pm me and i will see if i can type one up for you! :wink:

just to add when i had my old cavalier i bought a cv gaiter that was an easy fit one,it was split right down the middle and you just superglued it together when you fitted it over the cv,so as a quick fix super glue will work,my airfix gaiter lasted well over 12 months untill i scrapped the car

dazzyvr6

least i have some evidence then....will have to remember that! :oops:

you into model planes mate?? :lol:

how about i get two dirty great big thick carrier bags filled with CV grease and cover the CV gaitors up with them...and tie rod them in place...that'll slow the wear..but these splits are nothing big, not even tears...just starts of them.

Thansk for all your advice and ideas...the superglue idea might not be suffiecient...i might have to keep an eye on it in case it does come undone. :twisted: