Sign in to follow this  
Robz

bad day - again

hey guys - well, i think i've done it again...

i bought a lemon, lol

went to go and get some maggots for the bank holiday fishing trip, and ended up having the worst journey in history!!

even the mini never gave me this much trouble, lol.

i was driving along and thought, whats that awful noise, then realising it was getting increasingly worse, pulled over, and then my wheel fell off at 5 mph, lol, man am i angry.

i have discovered that who ever had my car previously has sheered the bolt that holds the disc on, cross threaded all the wheel nuts, and it has finally given way.

so i now cant drive my car!!

also, i looked on the other side, and it looks like the wishbone has been plated up - not a healthy car now, lol.

so if anyone has any hubs/discs/advice on the go, i would be most grateful, lol

thanks peeps!!!

rob.

Whilst i find it believable to cross thread one wheel bolt to cross thread all i find a bit strange.

the disc retaining bolt is all to easy to shear and will have no effect on the wheelbolts.

Pics?

Whilst i find it believable to cross thread one wheel bolt to cross thread all i find a bit strange.

the disc retaining bolt is all to easy to shear and will have no effect on the wheelbolts.

Pics?

My thoughts exactly...

Not quite sure what is meant by a plated up wishbone?

I guess he means the wishbone is rotted and has had a plate welded on it.

Nick

I guess you're right, I've not seen that done before and I really don't like the sound of it! Give me a new wishbone every time, they're not that expensive!

I guess he means the wishbone is rotted and has had a plate welded on it.

Nick

I guess you're right, I've not seen that done before and I really don't like the sound of it! Give me a new wishbone every time, they're not that expensive!

I agree it's a bodge and I wouldn't want it done on my car but I've seen them done like this although more often on T25 Campers which have big old and expensive ones. It's really only a temp fix as it will be rotten again before the next MOT.

Nick

hey guys, sorry, not been able to get to a comp.

thanks for the replies!!!

basically i dont know how the prev owner has done this, but the hub is just knackered!!!

i tried new bolts but they just shredded as they went in, and its not just me!!! lol

cant afford to do anything with it at the mo, im sure you all know how hard money is at the mo!!

i'll, get some pics for you all!!!

as far as the wishbone is - it looks like someone has gone to the effort of making a stainless steel plate and bolted it over - personally i would have bought a new one!!! lol

i'm investing in some axle stands on pay day, i will then post up some pics, i'm sure it will cause a debate!!

im more anoyed at myself for not checking it, but it is my first corrado, so thats my excuse :)

cheers all!!!

rob.

It sounds like it could be far worse, but still not much fun :(

I'm sure you can get a second hand hub from somebody on here, wishbones are about £70 and then you'll need a 4-wheel alignment afterwards, which will probably be another £50.

cheers dinkus

just found a wishbone for £25 on fleabay

just asked a few peeps on the sales screen for the hub, thats what im desperate 4!! lol

never thought of the wheeel allignment, will bear that in mind!!

cheers

rob

VW wishbones are only about £2 more, better metal and the bushes will last much longer than Febi!

Steve, you're on drugs... the VW wishbones (for the VR) are £70 a side. Febi ones are £35ish.

The 4 pot Febi wishbones are only £20 a side.

Both include the bushes...

Steve, you're on drugs... the VW wishbones (for the VR) are £70 a side. Febi ones are £35ish.

The 4 pot Febi wishbones are only £20 a side.

Ah sorry Dom, didn't realise it was a VR, I recently bought VAG ones for mine tho at £25 a side (plus vat) which includes bushes altho I binned the standard rear ones and fitted the TT items

Regardless of price tho i'd never fit Febi suspension stuff to a corrado - it simply doesn't last!

hey guys, sorry forgot to say, its a 1990 valver, not vr, sorry to confuse!!!

where can i get the hub and bearingg60karmann???

is it an easy enough job, im fairly technically minded???

cheers all!!

rob!!