Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

How do u remove the window/door seal? & is the rear a no no

I am a bit worried about just pulling it off in case anything snaps.

Or if it bends so much that it no longer fits flush on top of the door/against the window?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also I take it the rear window seal is a professional only job and once out cannot be re-used????

Thanks

Matt

I believe the front seals do just pull off, but be careful as they're hideously expensive new...

The rear 1/4 windows are bonded in as a single piece window and seal. The only way to get them out is to cut them carefully out from the inside. If you do a neat job, you can clean up the glue stuff and re-use them.

The fronts are glued to the door and have a metal insert which can bend, £150 a side or there abouts if you bugger them up!! :shock:

Hmmm thanks guy's so is there a recomended way of taking them off? Should i slide a knife under them first?

All i know is that they're bonded to the door on the inside edge, sorry.

Thats ok that is pretty helpful :D

Thanks

Matt

Oh and there is a screw at the bottom rear and a clip at the front edge, the screw of which holds on the black triangular trim by the mirror.

Oh and there is a screw at the bottom rear and a clip at the front edge, the screw of which holds on the black triangular trim by the mirror.

I knew you knew more that you werent telling LOL

Cheers

Matt

Are you talking of the seal that goes over the top of the door frame or the one that runs along the base of the glass on the door?

Sorry for sounding thick! but if it is this seal you are after i thought they were only aroung £50 each. from GPC and the like.

Are you talking of the seal that goes over the top of the door frame or the one that runs along the base of the glass on the door?

Sorry for sounding thick! but if it is this seal you are after i thought they were only aroung £50 each. from GPC and the like.

Hi m8

Well my car is in for respray (as you know) so it is the outer seal along the door. My painter was a bit worried about just 'pulling it off' . I can live with the rear window being masked but I defo want the door paint going under the seal... Just don't want to feck it up upon removal :( If they are 'only' £50 then that is slightly less of a worry though.

Cheers

Matt

The straight horizontal ones come off okay but they too have a metal insert and can be bent if you're not a bit careful. I've had mine off several times >snigger!

The straight horizontal ones come off okay but they too have a metal insert and can be bent if you're not a bit careful. I've had mine off several times >snigger!

So are these glued on?

No, Well they shouldn't be anyway they press down onto the door and hold in place because they have metal inside the rubber to grip the fram.

As said be extreemly carefull on removal as they bend easy, i replaced both mine when i had some paint done as new ones look far better too but it adds more cost to the whole job :?

Good luck mate.

Rang a few people up today about taking the rear windows out.

Because of the age of the car though nobody was prepared to do it. Did wonder if it was just an excuse as the job was tricky, low cost and with quite a high fook up factor? So just going to have to have them masked and hope for the best on the paint job!

Thats a shame nobody wanted to do it, mine is in for a respray at the moment and the painter knew someone who removes glass, he took out all the interior trim, and cut the sealant from the inside with a blade held flat against the screen, with soapy water. Coolrado told me how he done his, and i printed it off for him.

The seals along the bottom of the driver/passenger windows are called window slot seals

535837473A01C and 535837474A01C for left and right, i paid 33 pounds each from GPC.

Matt

Thats a shame nobody wanted to do it, mine is in for a respray at the moment and the painter knew someone who removes glass, he took out all the interior trim, and cut the sealant from the inside with a blade held flat against the screen, with soapy water. Coolrado told me how he done his, and i printed it off for him.

The seals along the bottom of the driver/passenger windows are called window slot seals

535837473A01C and 535837474A01C for left and right, i paid 33 pounds each from GPC.

Matt

Yeah it is a shame as I do like things to be 100%. If I really dont like it when I get it back I will just have to get it done at a later date :(

Thanks for the part no's £33 from GPC sounds good, so think I will just get some new ones :)

Not a problem mate, had a quick look at your VR just now, looks interesting, very nice....

Did you have your rear screen taken out ? GPC told me the seal for those was obsolete, but i got one from VW, same as the windscreen, the 'seal' on the outside is just trim, can be removed without taking the window out, and are available from VW too,

Rear Screen VW-535853355A01C ($166.75 AUD)

Front Screen VW-535845127A ($86.15 AUD)

Hope all goes well !!

Thanks mate. I have defo been kick started into sorting the car out after seeing how nice it looked originally :D

Just having it sprayed from windows down, so only the rear 3/4 window is a problem area. Just as well looking at all the prices for seals!

Fingers crossed

Matt