Sign in to follow this  
IansCorrado

Can I convert to Carbs?

Hi,

I have a toublesome 1990 Corrado 16v (1800 cc) which will soon be receiving a new engine. What I need to know is, can I remove the K Jetronic fuel injection in favor of a pair of Weber carbs? What manifold would I need and has this swop been done before (IE does anyone have further info on how they did it?)

Many thanks

Ian

Mangoletsi used to make an inlet manifold for webers.

You will also need a regulator to step down the fuel pressure as Carbs require high flow but low pressure.

To be honest nowadays id go for throttle bodies over Carbs as the cost differential has decreased compared to what it used to be, no brainer really....

There havebeen a few throttle body conversions on here I believe, have a search around. Think one of the guys was called Blaklabel

I think if it's a 1990 you should be ok, but later cars would struggle to pass emissions tests with carbs I think.

there was a bloke on no-rice or e38 called Sherbert (or something) that had done it, He worked for land rover and used parts from the parts bin. Sounded awsome.

Carbs or throttle bodies will be more trouble than K-Jet though, they will need setting up every year, you will loose low down torque for a small gain in top end power as well.

Carbs or throttle bodies will be more trouble than K-Jet though, they will need setting up every year, you will loose low down torque for a small gain in top end power as well.

Thats not the case at all if the carbs are in good working order... :)

Its when the spindles etc become worn that they start getting a bit inconsistent. But they can be rebuilt easily enough...I ran mine for years without needing setting up once after the initial rolling road session.They were brand new carbs though.

Id budget a rebuild in if you go secondhand.

Neil.

Cobblers!

I actually stuck carbs on my K-jet car because it was so unreliable,

Its fine when its new but as it gets older it get unreliable.

the worst that happens with carbs is they go out of balance or the float settings need adjusting or as Neil has said after years the spindles wear, thats it!.

Mince needed balancing about once a year which takes 5 minutes.

As for losing low down torque thats a load of ballcocks too!, my 1.8KR made 155lb/ft peak, still had about 140 from 4000 rpms which is more than a stock valver.

It also made 185@ crank so thats hardly a small increase, admittedly it had a 4 branch but thats hardly a small increase.

Throttle bodies will be no trouble at all, fit and forget........

Cobblers!

I actually stuck carbs on my K-jet car because it was so unreliable,

Its fine when its new but as it gets older it get unreliable.

the worst that happens with carbs is they go out of balance or the float settings need adjusting or as Neil has said after years the spindles wear, thats it!.

Mince needed balancing about once a year which takes 5 minutes.

As for losing low down torque thats a load of ballcocks too!, my 1.8KR made 155lb/ft peak, still had about 140 from 4000 rpms which is more than a stock valver.

It also made 185@ crank so thats hardly a small increase, admittedly it had a 4 branch but thats hardly a small increase.

Throttle bodies will be no trouble at all, fit and forget........

Thanks for making my point, a 4 branch does explain the large power increase, especially with the restriction in the downpipe on a 16v car.

You have already said you cant fit and forget throttle bodies, fit and forget does not involve balancing or other adjustments once a year.

Last question is do you have before and after rolling road figures (same road of course) for the carb fit ? If not then you could well have a good 16v unit from the factory - it is not unusual to find valvers putting out well above their book figures.

hi

these are local to me found them whilst surfing dont know anything about the quality or anything ive never had any dealings! could be worth a punt though!http://www.advancedautosport.com/volkswagen.htm

cheers! andy

Cheers Andy, will give them a shout (they're local for me too) Looks like they can sort the cylinder head mods I am after too. Then it will be a rebuild on the bottom end, sports exhaust system inc manifold and a fast road cams. Things are looking up for my Rrado! Yipee!!

Great effort at trying to twist everything that ive said! :wave:

Thanks for making my point, a 4 branch does explain the large power increase, especially with the restriction in the downpipe on a 16v car.

No way does a 4 branch = 35 brake up on what a healthy valver with a stock manifold makes manifold will add 10 brake on a good day...

You have already said you cant fit and forget throttle bodies, fit and forget does not involve balancing or other adjustments once a year.

No i said you can't fit and forget carbs not throttle bodies...

Also when you say not making adjustments once a year does that include trimming the CO that you invariably have to do once a year for the MOT on your KE-Jet??

Last question is do you have before and after rolling road figures (same road of course) for the carb fit ? If not then you could well have a good 16v unit from the factory - it is not unusual to find valvers putting out well above their book figures.

Come on,

When was the last time you saw a 'good valver' putting out 185@crank and 155lb/ft with only a 4 branch,45 DCOE's on 38 chokes and a Ashley 4 branch/mid section with a stock Bosal rear box.

No i dont have before and after figures (this was about 9 years ago!) , what i do know is ive driven enough Golfs of all guises over the last 17 years and it pulled a hell of a lot harder after i fitted the carbs and this was born out with it being the 4th quickest (9th overall) brit Mk1 at Inters 2000 running 14.4 uphill with no LSD and a tired clutch.

I also drove that car 90 miles a day on carbs for 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

They are not a pain to run at all, this is someone with experience not someone who picked up a bit of pub banter and sprayed it over the 'net.

Do you want me to tell you i got 17bhp (same RR) on my DX 8v lump with a set of 40's too?...

hi

if your after cams i got my cams reground by this guy (again fairly localish) a real top bloke knows what hes doing!freindly and helpfull could possibly have got them a bit cheaper from a faceless organisation over the internet but went and visited him and had a chat! superb!http://www.autosprint.co.uk/?p=p_1

he does other stuff too!

hope it all helps

andy