Sign in to follow this  
fla

rear TT comps rubbing with spacers

I've just used some 5mm spacers to allow me to fit the centre caps. Prob now is that the tyres rub every time there is a dip or a bump in the road. I tried removing the grease cap but the axle pin was still protruding beyond the lip of the wheel, so i needed spacers. Its lowered 40mm now, handles great but scrubs all the time. Any suggestions apart from rolling the arches? How have others with the comps sorted this out? Thanks

what is the tyre shoulder profile of the Kumhos like? Seems the only solution short of cutting the arches back.

Trouble is Hasan mate, the TT comps are ET 33. You've added 5mm spacing, thereby knocking the ET out to 28. That is defo rub central my friend :?

You can't really roll the arches, it all feels pretty solid there to me. Only option is grinding the lips back which = rust central :(

you say that kev but et28 on a 7.5 is only 1mm more poke than the et35 on your new 8in MOs so it seems strange that Hasan should be getting rubbing when you guys are all saying your wheels are ok?

Mine do rub though. At extremes of suspension travel. If you're using 8x17 ET35 as a baseline, 1mm more poke is 1mm more poke. I'll wager it's the nearside rear that's rubbing. Any signs of paint rubbage there Hasan?

Ben's using 205/40, I'm using 215/40, but it really does only catch once in a blue moon. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the car in the flesh :D

What tyres you running bro??? 205/40's shoudn't catch unless the Kumho's are fattys... You can roll the arches but your paint might and most likely will crack... If u really want I can hammer&dolly em down for you lol... :D

I've just used some 5mm spacers to allow me to fit the centre caps. Prob now is that the tyres rub every time there is a dip or a bump in the road. I tried removing the grease cap but the axle pin was still protruding beyond the lip of the wheel, so i needed spacers. Its lowered 40mm now, handles great but scrubs all the time. Any suggestions apart from rolling the arches? How have others with the comps sorted this out? Thanks

I just tapped out the centre cap, so now its curved.

(edit# mine is using narrow track tho, but that shouldnt matter for the rear axle)

Mine do rub though. At extremes of suspension travel. If you're using 8x17 ET35 as a baseline, 1mm more poke is 1mm more poke. I'll wager it's the nearside rear that's rubbing. Any signs of paint rubbage there Hasan?

yep spot on, nearside that rubs! I took the spacers out when lowered, though.

I just tapped out the centre cap, so now its curved.

(edit# mine is using narrow track tho, but that shouldnt matter for the rear axle)

Theres no allowance to tap the centre cap on mine, its right up against the axle nut.

Car was fully loaded last week, mum & dad, my cousin plus luggage! Even slight dips and you hear that krrrrrrrrr as tyre rubs. I'll post some pics of the tyrewall later if that is of use. ATM, with just me, theres no issue at all, except in really deep dips (one on the school run :( )

Cheers Abdul, might be a last resort, but i really dont want to go down that route.

No probs let me know, I'm sure we can fold the lip just a little, enough for clearance anyway.

yep spot on, nearside that rubs! I took the spacers out when lowered, though.

? just hit the back of centre cap with ball hammer whilst cap has something supporting outside rim, and cap will go from l to ( and will allow clearence. :D

mine rubs nearside!!! why is this Kev???

Can anyone confirm the shoulder profile of the Kumho KU31s - is it square or more of a slope? Just looking at Camskill's site. (205/40/17)

do you know of any others with a less square shoulder?

Falkens. Always... :D