Sign in to follow this  
David Winter

How big a swear box?

Hi.

My heater has started steaming up the screen and after removing the passenger shelf area can see a dribble of water where the ducting is cliped together. A taste test concludes it is sweet and must be coolant. I tried replacing the foilage filter gasket first but also after realising the coolant level is falling conclude its the matrix unfortunately. Ive read this is an awful job involving lots of swearing. Ive seen the knowledge base thread about not removing the whole dash and am going to atempt this at the weekend.I Have ordered a VAG matrix today but am scared! :( Can anyone give me any last minute advise ? Or will I break the world swearing record this weekend :brickwall:

lots of swearin! i found it easier to do with the dash out but that involves more timewasting taking switches off etc etc although it gave me a chance to run all my stereo wires neatly

lol, from what ive heard its a bit of an arse to do, but its not something i would willinglly do on my own, thats one for the pro's i think, but good luck with it...

oh, and i don't think the poisens unit would be entirely happy with you "drinking" coolant, lol, oh well, the nhs is free ;)

... i think ive had too much redbull today, excuse my odd sense of humour:)

rob.

Did this myself only a few weeks ago.

After doing some work in the engine bay i forgot to reconnect the fan. The next day i took the car out, parked outside my local shop with the engine running and BANG!!! a car full of hot water and coolant.

I managed to do the work without taking the dash out as per the guide on here. The matrix i fitted came from a mk4 golf and was a valeo part. I picked it up on ebay for 99p and it only need a quick mod on the plastic pipes that poke into the engine bay.

Good luck with it.

Well I tasted quite a lot and then drunk some from the header tank to confirm they were the same. Ill let you know if I die any time soon :D

Anyone heard from David recently????

What was it that was added to Bulgarian wine years ago (showing my age again sorry)? I thought that was antifreeze.

Just to conclude I am still alive :) and I have a new matrix :D I can also confirm it is indeed an ass of a job involving lots of hardcore swearing. The car now has that new car heater smell and no more mist! I think it has been leaking slightly since Ive had it. Also think ive cured my intermittent ABS problem. The three relays under the passenger shelf were soaked! I would say that once you have removed everything re-assembley is much easier. I folowed the knowledge base procedure with the dash in place. Here are some pictures as ther are non. May help someone.

I also replace the ignition switch last week and done away with the Heath Robinson start button that someone had fitted. Car is now much better until the next thing :gag:

great pics - cheers for that. those will come in useful when i have to sort mine in a couple of weeks :)

Don't put it off for too long, I had to do mine last December in the dark and the cold, that made it even more sweary than it would have been normally :bad-words: :wink:

great pics - cheers for that. those will come in useful when i have to sort mine in a couple of weeks :)

Don't put it off for too long, I had to do mine last December in the dark and the cold, that made it even more sweary than it would have been normally :bad-words: :wink:

i know exactly what you mean - cheers for the advice.

unfortunately i don't have a choice as im not even in the country at the moment - would love to have sorted it before i went away, but i never got the time.

im having to do an engine swap and overhaul various other bits outside and in the cold - typical!

when i finally found some time to get round to soldering up a big mess in my wiring loom, it was at 10 at night and it was raining - soldering inside the car with a borrowed cheap soldering iron and bedside lamp for lighting - lush!

its always the way unfortunately :?

character building stuff! :lol: