Sign in to follow this  
Jim

1,500 miles in a new Scirocco....

I agree on the seats they look pretty sweet and are comfortable, with the one complaint that the drivers seat could do with a much lower arse position, although that could be just because of coming from Corrado :) I think the Eos dash was a slightly poor choice (too bland) but yeah all thogether nice. I really liked the enclosed feel you get with the low roof and small side windows and the stearing wheel felt and looked good too. And I hate to sound old man with pipe n slippers but the list of supplied spec was very good as I expected most of the standard stuff to be extras, but I guess that has something to do with the high starting price.

Does anyone know when a 1.4 twin charged is going to be available?

Walesy put it down well after I posted here : -

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69908&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

A jack of all trades but master of none

It didn't excite and wasn't practical, I love the look just couldn't figure out who the car is aimed at.

Ah OK, cheers. I obviously missed your test drive post!

I'm not overly keen on the Rocco either but I'll reserve final judgement until I've driven one. I like the MK5 GTI though, and it's engine....up to 4000rpm. Needs more boost from then on, but I'm very hard to please :D

I agree with your comment about DBW pedals..... the first 30% seems to deliver everything, then it feels flat there after..... it's a combination of how VW map the throttle and turbo sizing. The boost control is very nanny state too.

The ECU can and does take over throttle control at will, bypassing the user's inputs, and that is too close to GPS government control for my liking! I.e. drive into a speed controlled zone and the ECU will automatically take throttle control away from the driver......it already does now in fact......when cold starting and if exhaust gas temps get too high.

Here's another question Jim.

Who won when Wendy raced you? There is no point in denying that she would have raced you... LOL

We never raced at any point actually as we were never in a convoy together. The Scirocco would have done her in a straight line though - it's definately quicker than a VR from a rolling start up to 120/130 thanks to the awesome torque. She'd have done me in corners though simply on bravery.

You lucky devil Jim :)

Glad you've given it a good report, thinking about getting one but will wait until the oil burner is released next year. There's strong rumours of a 200bhp diesel MK6 Golf and I'm hoping that'll also go in the Scirroco as that would be awesome, otherwise It'd probably be the 170 as in my current MK5. Would love the 2.0 petrol but that would be heart over head as it would be mainly for business use and wouldn't really make sense. Great colour too, think that would be my choice.

Looking forward to reading your full report.

Bill

Have heard now from a number of people that interest in the Scirocco has been high for both private and fleet sales. We can only hope that it does well and VW expand the range.

Reading directly from the press pack, there will be 1.4 TSI (160PS) petrol engines and a 2.0 litre TDI (140PS) diesel versions joining the line up in early 2009. No mention of a 200BHP TDI though.. :(

All Scirocco's regardless of spec will apparently feature the adaptive chassis control - which is nice!

Interesting as around the time of the IROC show car concept there was definately talk in the press of a VR6 version with Haldex. There were conflicting reports at the time about the use of the R36 lump, R32 lump, and (I recall) a 350bhp R32 turbo version too.

If the history of VW model releases is any guide, we should expect a V6 model of some kind in around 2-3 years once the honeymoon period has quietened down. VW have historically kept back the sports versions of just about every small/medium car since the 1980s.

yes that would be fan freekin tastic if they brought out a awd rocco and r32 turbo sounds like a good choice to match, that would definetly make more sense for me as to where the rocco fits in the market as it would then be competing with the TT and the like. Wouldn't be supprised if we saw a convertable

Had a good poke around one last night at no-rice and have to say they look really nice in the flesh! Would love to drive one too - you lucky bugger Jim!

Hoping to part company with the LCR in the new year and wil be looking for a suitable diesel replacement - think it's going to be between the Sciroco and the Passat CC 8)

Did actually see a Passat CC at the Ring whilst we were there on Saturday evening (amongst the multitude of exotic motors) and it was a pretty impressive looking car - though it was pretty huge. The Scirocco looked quite dinky in comparison!

A 6 cylinder would be great but how many people would buy one with the new road tax system?

Safely say that 6 cylinder engines on the Golf platform will never be seen again, Scirocco is much more likely to get an uprated 2.0TFSi than anything else. Also the TDi engine being dropped into the Scirocco will be the new 138bhp common rail unit - I'm pretty sure more powerful versions will follow though

Just discovered that the alloation of Sciroccos has been increased for the UK, this usually happens when EU sales are below expectations - I would not rule out a discount being available on them pretty soon

Just discovered that the alloation of Sciroccos has been increased for the UK, this usually happens when EU sales are below expectations - I would not rule out a discount being available on them pretty soon

I was saying the other day, it's not the first time VW have launched a new sports coupe into a recession, they have really bad timing.

Safely say that 6 cylinder engines on the Golf platform will never be seen again, Scirocco is much more likely to get an uprated 2.0TFSi than anything else. Also the TDi engine being dropped into the Scirocco will be the new 138bhp common rail unit - I'm pretty sure more powerful versions will follow though

They'd sell a lot more straight into the German & Dutch markets if they fitted 20" wheels with air-ride as standard and de-handled them, hahaha

Was interesting driving the Corrado again this morning after having not touched it for a week. It was actually a far less 'retro' drive than I had convinced myself that it would be and just about everything about it felt as good as the Scirocco.

Visibility was quite a lot better of course but the steering was shockingly heavy - it felt like the power steering wasn't even working! It felt way more planted around corners even with my modest suspension setup (Koni STR.T's) with less roll, etc and I liked being able to open the throttle a bit without inducing wheel spin which was annoyingly easy to do on that super torquey 2.0 TFSi engine.

Good man Jim, for a few moments I thought you were were going to say that you were considering re-training as a hairdresser.

Scirocco is a nice car but it ain't no Corrado

We never raced at any point actually as we were never in a convoy together. The Scirocco would have done her in a straight line though - it's definately quicker than a VR from a rolling start up to 120/130 thanks to the awesome torque. She'd have done me in corners though simply on bravery.

Seems like a Day at Santa Pod is required here ?? !! :lol: :lol:

Skill I think you mean - Jim !!!!!!!!! But Bravery too :lol:

Except not enough to go on the Ring though !!! :( I will one time - who knows Next year maybe :D

Skill I think you mean - Jim !!!!!!!!! But Bravery too

I might just as well have similar levels of skill - i'm just not brave enough to put them into practice on the roads! I'd be up for seeing what was what on a track against you though Wendy ;)

Buy a used MK5 GTI instead then just retrofit the adaptive dampers. It's about the only thing it's got over the Golf.

Saw a black one at inchcape VW yesterday and to me it just looked like a lump of tar that had been dropped on the floor and sprouted a wheel at each corner. In the flesh, it is a lot taller, fatter, over wheeled and wider than I imagined. It really is not a pretty car imo.

It's not pretty no, and although it grew on me a bit over several days of seeing it, once the mk6 golf is common on the roads I don't think it will even have much of an individual feel.

I'm sure the engine and running gear are up to the job but something makes me think they won't sell that well in the long (or even medium) term and I'll place a 'sportsman's bet' they won't be in production nearly as long as the Corrado.

Considering the Corrado was so much mk2 engineering they (VW) made such a unique car, but the accountants have seen to that with the new scirocco.

It's so much better in the metal than in any picture for some reason. Most pictures it just looks awkward. In reality it has a nice aggressive look about it and does stand out from other cars.

I personally think that peoples expectations were just too high though. When are VW ever outlandish or risk taking these days? They were stung on the Corrado - they were never going to make the same mistakes again.

But they'll happily fund a one-off W12 powered MK5 Golf though, and payroll a loss making £1M supercar :D

I don't think it's about risk taking imo Jim. I just think it's a mixture of VAG politics and a poor market research.

There's no way Audi would let the Scirocco eclipse their new TT (which is stunning imo) in the popularity stakes, so the Rocco always was going to play second fiddle to the TT from the start. Which is wrong. BMW were very careful and clever in the way they rebirthed the mini. The Scirocco was a key car in VW's history and imho they've insulted it with this bland, over weight, remake of it.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed driving it, it does sound very appealing dynamically. At least they got that bit right :D

It has to be said, despite all the criticism, the Irocco did attract attention during the 20-Jahre Corrado event at the N