Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Starting up issues

Hello chaps,

Every now and again my 1995 VR6 does an odd thing while starting up, I turn the key and the car starts first time as per usual and then it will cut out suddenly as if its stalled. No juddering or dodgy idle, it just stops. Its only done this a few times and its been weeks since it last did it this morning. Left it for a few mins and returned to the car and it started fine again.

Any ideas? Is there something I need to clean/replace?! I'm a bit stuck on this guys, so I'd be grateful for any help.

Cheers.

Mine does this very occasionally,

I reckon its the transponder loop that goes round the ignition barrel not registering the transponder in the key first time, It always restarts immediately...

my valver does that, always wondered what it is??

whether its the same or not i dont know!!

hope ya get it sorted though!

rob.

Car's getting some work done at Volkswagen on 2nd October, reckon its worth mentioning it to them? Whatever the transponder loop is, if it needs replacing it could be expensive?! Don't want to be spammed with another massive bill.

When my MK2 cut out like this it turned out to be the fuel pump relay, i'm not sure how similar the VR is to a digifant 8V but it was an £8.50 repair so could be worth a check before replacing expensive stuff

Sounds like the factory immobiliser. VW will want to sell you an entire replacement control module, when all you really need to do is clean up the contacts between the transponder coil (mentioned above) and the control module.

See earlier threads on the VR6 immobiliser transponder.

I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Mine does it like yours and i can start it immediately afterwards as in i flick the key again straightaway and it starts on the button.