KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Ok, I've been on here a while now, but never posted about my own Corrado before, just because I've never had a camera and have only just got a phone with a camera worth taking photos with!

I've had the car 8ish years now, but recently it's been at a mates workshop having a new 3.2 engine put in, as the old VR developed a rattle in the head :cuckoo: and I wanted something a little lighter and more powerful without going down the charging route, which wasn't an option on the old engine.

It went into my friend Jon's workshop last December, and I found the new Audi TT 3.2 engine (11k) soon after, by March it was physically in there. I would love to have done all the work myself, but not having a garage or driveway makes that kinda hard!! Instead I help Jon out with info and parts (DataJon on here) who does the spanner work I trust totally to do a good job and not charge me the earth. The downside is it's usually done it the 'background' and Jon is a busy man..so it's taking ages. What bits I can take home I do, like the hubs in the photos below, basically every time I go up to the workshop, I grab a few bits, refurb them during the week and swap them for other bits the next time I go up there...

Spec is as follows. Mystic Blue Storm, Bistein Coilovers, everything under the car and in the bay has been shot blast and powder coated, new nuts and bolts bushes and bearings for all major components, 280mm rear brake upgrade, Leon Cupra R 323mm fronts with braided line replacing all hardline, refurbed VR Gearbox, and lots of little other bits. I'm after a totally OE look to the engine conversion, so no induction kits or anything. Keeping both the RX and new wheels, RX is my favourite wheel ever :sleeping:

The Audi ECU is being used, with the immobilizer circuit being denied so I don't have to use the donor clocks etc. The VR loom is being spliced into the Audi loom where necessary to create a totally OE like loom. I will still get a lot of the Audi ECU functions like the fuel pump priming when you open the door etc. OK so if I want more power I'll have to remap it but I still prefer this way to an Emerald or the likes, although an aftermarket ECU would have made life so much easier.

The dash is out at the moment, i needed to put a new heater matrix in....but it makes access to fusebox etc easier. I'm replacing the OE alarm while I'm under there....

Some pics...lots more still to come! Should be finished for November hopefully, it was only supposed to take a couple of weeks!

Very nice and I am loving the wheels! What are they? OZ? Merc?

Cheers for all the nice comments, they are SSW Speed wheels, lighter than my BBS too.

very very very very nice motor, i'm liking it loads :)

and i feel your frustration with the R32 :( its horrible having the car sitting there waiting for the last little bits to come together.

And i'm loving those wheels 8)

absolutely loving your thread mate - same wheels as mine - RX's all the way!

you are doing pretty much exactly the same thing as me too - i want everything as OE looking as possible. (i will be painting the red brembos black when i get them so they don't stand out!)

same way with the loom etc and everything as well - nice one!

what have you done about the exhaust and cats? - i'm keeping mine as OE as possible, so i've got hold of some milltek sports cats for an r32 and i'm getting a manifold made up specially, that way i can keep all 4 lambdas as well.

as for mine, i've done all bushes/running gear etc already as well - hammerited my under-car bits rather than powder coating though... long long long term i will probably end up finding a spare shell and completely strip it and get it resprayed then transfer all my bits over, so i can get the bits powder coated then!

loving your thread though buddy. i will be making a start on mine around the end of this month - hope to have it done in about 6 weeks (ish), provided i can organise all the people/parts in that time...

no doubt it will end up taking longer, but fingers crossed - i will have the majority of it done in that time...

good luck with yours buddy - don't forget to keep us updated :)

by the by - i work down in bulford; i'll have approx 6 weeks off when i get back to the uk at the end of this month, but when i get back to work i'll have to look you up as i'm always popping into salisbury to see my girlfriend.

i'll drop you a PM nearer the time :)

Pete

you are doing pretty much exactly the same thing as me too - i want everything as OE looking as possible. (i will be painting the red brembos black when i get them so they don't stand out!)

what have you done about the exhaust and cats? - :)

I've got the TT twin Cats to put on with the flexis on the downpipe so keeping all the probes, Don't like the custom manifolds that have the flexi after the downpipe as the engine movement then pulls the flexi sideways rather than compressing it (ever wondered why VW never do it?) an eventually you get the inevitable leak. I'm utilizing the vaccum flap to so it's quiet round town and then opens up when you belt it :)

I've decided the Brembos will be eith Red or Silver, not sure yet...

Glad you like it Pete, looking forward to seeing yours too, 24V is definately the way to go. It makes a good car really good. Personally I like the age of the Corrado because it's got the right level of extras and involvement, ie it's got just enough toys without all the extras that make the car heavy like todays cars. The new engine just brings it back up to date...

what have you done about the exhaust and cats? - :)

I've got the TT twin Cats to put on with the flexis on the downpipe so keeping all the probes, Don't like the custom manifolds that have the flexi after the downpipe as the engine movement then pulls the flexi sideways rather than compressing it (ever wondered why VW never do it?) an eventually you get the inevitable leak. I'm utilizing the vaccum flap to so it's quiet round town and then opens up when you belt it :)

I've decided the Brembos will be eith Red or Silver, not sure yet...

Glad you like it Pete, looking forward to seeing yours too, 24V is definately the way to go. It makes a good car really good. Personally I like the age of the Corrado because it's got the right level of extras and involvement, ie it's got just enough toys without all the extras that make the car heavy like todays cars. The new engine just brings it back up to date...

that's cool - i didn't know the tt's had a flap in the exhaust, that would be sweet - noise or lack thereof is important to me too; i'm sticking with the magnex system i currently have on the car - it's pretty quiet, so i'm hoping that with the bmc on there and a long inlet tract it won't be much noisier as long as i don't drive everywhere at full throttle!

as for the exhaust - i have been umming and arring over the flexi thing. being as the vr doesn't have any flexi in the exhaust as standard, but the r32 does...

i have gone for slightly uprated engine mounts and where they won't cause any dash shaking, i'm hoping they should give me enough support not to have to worry about the flexi in the exhaust.

the exhausts that pete at dubpower makes don't have flexi in them and i've never heard of the lack of flexi ever being an issue for a vr engine (on here or anywhere else)...

i know in principle when you think about it there should be one there, but if vw don't put one in as stadard on the vr and pete from dubpower hasn't had any trouble, then i recon i will hopefully be ok - well that's my theory anyway!

when you say you have the flexis in your downpipe by the way - have you retained the standard downpipe from the TT? - didn't think they would fit.....

i have got some very nice milltek manifolds for a mk5 r32 sat at home that are up for sale - i thought they wouldn't fit (though i planned to give them a trial fit just in case...) they have got flexi bits in the downpipes too...

totally agree with you on the going modern theory as well - my thoughts exactly when i wanted to upgrade the 'rado.

are you getting a gearbox rebuild and/or lsd? - if you've got the cash it would certainly be a good time!

when i get mine done i'm also going to see if i can get hold of the longer 5th gear from a diesel golf (as detailed in the knowledge base) as i do lots of long trips and with the extra power it hopefully shouldn't make much difference to the way it pulls.

are you going to get yours remapped too? i was thinking that i'm going to get a bloke called the vagdoctor in bristol to sort all the wiring for me once it's all in mechanically. then i will drive it up to stealth and get vince to remap it for me. was hoping for around the 280bhp mark with the mk5 engine, sports cats, lightened flywheel/helix clutch and lightweight pulleys.

if i get more than that then it's really just a bonus!

I think there is a flexi on the downpipe on the VR Pete, just under where it bolts onto the manifold I think you'll find some 'bellows', which is the best place for a flexi. I'd be really suprised if there isn't, from memory perhaps it's covered in heat sheild, on the other hand I might be talking out of my ass!! Anyone else know? :lol:

Will probably using all the components of the TT downpipe/CAT's (it's all one bit) but re-routing them with stainless tube in between if that makes sence!

i had the box done shortly before the conversion, I would love to put an lsd in it, but the money just isn't there at the moment, as with remapping... :( . I've talked to the VAG doctor, he quoted me £300 to do all the wiring, sounded not too bad but haven't seen his work, Zinderapple used him though, not sure what he made of him...

hey again buddy - don't think there is a flexi in the down pipe on a standard vr you know...

there isn't one after the flange like you said and i don't believe there is one under the heatshielding (though i could be wrong) - interesting... we should find out someway as i'm curious now, sure you want to know too - if you get the chance have a look at the manifolds made by pete at dubpower - storm developments sell them - you can see them through their site

not entirely certain what you mean by re-routing your exhaust with the stainless tube....

i'm guessing you mean further jiggery pokery with fabrication of some description to make it fit.

ziderapple said that the vagdoctor was really good when i spoke to him - he said he would recommend him.

i spoke to him (the vagdoctor) as well (from all the way out here!) and he sounded pretty keen and very switched on.

i think the only gripe that chris (ziderapple) had with him was that he took a little longer than he thought he would. don't think it was ages or anything like that, but like 2 weeks instead of 1 or something...

from talking with chris on here though it sounds like he did a good job and also sorted a couple of other problems for him while he was at it.

i take it you are cheating like me and getting someone else to do the wiring for you as opposed to tackling that can of worms yourself!

What happened to Chris's car, isn't he selling it? He came down to Jon's workshop as I gave him my old 12V block which I think ended up being scrapped! Yeah i looked at the Storm Developments one a while ago, but I have one of these below to modify so I might as well, I still have my VR downpipe so will have a look when I'm next up there about the flexi, I'm 90% sure it's a shielded flexi !!253670.png[/attachment:rxd17x1y]

anymore pics of the wheels? i think they make a refreshing change from the norm - very nice!

Yeah they are a nice change, and a straight bolt on fitment so no adapters etc, I have no more photos of them on the car, as the fronts aren't on yet, I've got the hubs off! Google them.

Sprayed the calipers today, popped down to Halfords and bought some of their own brake caliper spray for a fiver, only comes in silver though, but they didn't have red in the foliatec stuff either- only yellow :gag:

Going up to the workshop tomorrow night to swap the front hub assembly's and these for the front shocks, they'll need shot blasting and painting like these did. I paid bilstein a lot of money to refurbish them a while ago (new seals, shims, platforms and bearings) along with making them a bit softer :camp: , and they came back still rusty :(

Drew up a caliper bracket at lunchtime today, can anyone check it against the Seat Cupra one? Just the offset and depth

liking the brembos a lot there my friend - they'll look really good once they are on.

personally i would stick with the silver if you are going for the subtle look like me - red looks good, but everyone has red calipers and they will draw attention where silver ones won't...

also interested to hear if you got the chance to look at the exhaust yet - i was thinking, if there is a flexi bit under the heatshielding - surely the heatshield would have to flex too, otherwise it would rattle and creak when the exhaust flexed?...

cheers for the update - hope it's coming along nicely :)

Been up to the workshop and collected my front (rears to do later later) shocks to take up to the shot blasters, once I've masked up the stansions nice and snug with rubber tape, don't ant any grit getting in there! Sorry crap pics, energy saving light bulbs :wink: I'm taking along the springs, disc guards and a few other little bits and bobs too.

Corrado92.pdfP220908_19.41[03].JPG[/attachment:4htabh3g]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP220908_19.42[03].JPG[/attachment:4htabh3g]

Had a go at de-blinging my Inpro rear lights, they look much nicer in the flesh than the pics show, I'll try and get some better ones taken in daylight. Still a million times better than they come from Inpro/FK, why is it just the Corrado you can't get decent lights for? I'm not definately putting them on, will have to see how they compare to my all red rears.

P230908_21.57.JPG[/attachment:4htabh3g]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP230908_21.58.JPG[/attachment:4htabh3g]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP220908_19.42[01].JPG[/attachment:4htabh3g]

Couldn't find the downpipe Pete :roll: But Jon's going to have a look for it, it's not the most tidy of places....

Lovin the rears. How hard were they to get apart. I keey getting green stuff growing in mine and the silver is looking crap. I have done the easy outside bits in black. But was to scared to split the lenses!

Good thread! Those rear lights look the business too - how did you make the clear sections look less bling?

I'm planning a refurb of my brembo's in the new year too but will retain the stickers - have you any tips on stripping them with out damaging the piston seals etc? My car is a daily too so I will need to have it done over a weekend... I want to do a proper job though as the laquer has started to peal on both sides now (common fault with LCR brembo's) and I really want them to last once re-done - have also been thinking about a colour change i.e. silver with black logo's.

IMHO yours would look better with white logo's - that way they won't stand out and will still look classy...

EDIT: you're welcome to give me a hand re-furbing mine and then you can take as many bracket measurements as you like!?! ;)

hey there my friend, good to see things are coming along nicely.

liking the calipers there - looking good. i know what you mean about the lights as well; i'm not a huge fan of the orange, but i'm having reall problems finding something else that i think looks good.

by the way, if you end up not using your brembo stickers, can i shotgun them please?!

i was looking to get hold of either a stencil or some stickers for when i sort my calipers out.

hope you manage to get the shocks all sorted easily enough; the shot blasters should bring them up nicely. :)

shame about the manifold, i'm sure it will become clear in good time!

i recon i'm going to go gloss black for the calipers with a white brembo logo - should look nice and not stand out too much either i'm hoping.