KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Lovin the rears. How hard were they to get apart. I keey getting green stuff growing in mine and the silver is looking crap. I have done the easy outside bits in black. But was to scared to split the lenses!

Glad you like them chap, I tried to split the lenses but couldn't split the glue, thought about pouring thinners inside too which would cloud the lens but thought I'd feck up the reflector too so in the end I gave in and just sanded the outside. The finer the sandpaper you use the less translucent the finish, 400 grit is a nice finish. Ideally you'd vapour/fine grit blast it to leave no sanding marks, but I couldn't be bothered, and you have to look real close to see them!

It's not ideal, but I had them lying around and thought I'd give it a go, I still prefer them to clear, even if the outside is matt finish.P240908_18.42[01].JPG[/attachment:14omdan5]

by the way, if you end up not using your brembo stickers, can i shotgun them please?!

i was looking to get hold of either a stencil or some stickers for when i sort my calipers out.

Ha ha, sorry I've mislead you Pete, I hadn't actually bought them yet!, loads on ebay though. :)

Good thread! Those rear lights look the business too - how did you make the clear sections look less bling?

I'm planning a refurb of my brembo's in the new year too but will retain the stickers - have you any tips on stripping them with out damaging the piston seals etc? My car is a daily too so I will need to have it done over a weekend... I want to do a proper job though as the laquer has started to peal on both sides now (common fault with LCR brembo's) and I really want them to last once re-done - have also been thinking about a colour change i.e. silver with black logo's.

IMHO yours would look better with white logo's - that way they won't stand out and will still look classy...

EDIT: you're welcome to give me a hand re-furbing mine and then you can take as many bracket measurements as you like!?! ;)

I'd be glad to help any time chap! I'll have my vernier calipers to hand though! (god that could sound dodgy!) :lol:

You can easily take the pistons and seals out if you are worried about damaging them, take the caliper and nipples off, drain any brake fluid out, and then carefully blow down the bleed nipples with an airline. Before doing this though you need to put something about 20mm thick between the pistons, allowing them to move about 5mm or so, and you'll find that the seals blow out still attached to the pistons and intact. If you dont restrict the piston they pop out of the seals and leave you the seal stuck in the caliper (see my finished pic :lol: )

You can't do it properly in a weekend chap, they need to be blasted for the paint to have a good adhesion or they will just flake prettey quick. You don't have to take all the seals out to do this though, just wedge something in between the pistons to mask it off, you won't have the inside face blasted, but it doesn't matter too much. Leave the nipples in with the rubber caps on they won't get harmed and they'll stop grit going down the holes. As with the banjo bolt and a stack of washers. Take them down to your local powder coaters on a Friday lunch and they might blast them while you wait for a bit of cash..Then you can paint on Saturday, leave them in the oven overnight and put them back on Sunday. :D

I want to do a proper job though as the laquer has started to peal on both sides now (common fault with LCR brembo's)

Hey Phil

If the LCR Brembo's have gone a funny white colour (not brown) then you can just give them a spray with some laquer and they will go back to shiny red :D If they are actually peeling peeling then carry on as you are and sorry to have bothered you :salute:

Been doing my heater dials (see the thread), wrong colour light still but you get the pictureP250908_21.22.JPG[/attachment:3rtbx9my]

Got my front shocks and springs etc back from the powder coaters/grit blasters today, everything apart from the shocks was powder coated silver, I then sprayed the shocks in a matt gray, I think I prefer them now to how they are as new 8)passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP220908_19.41[03].JPG[/attachment:3f6y64di]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP260908_18.51[01].JPG[/attachment:3f6y64di]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP260908_18.52[02].JPG[/attachment:3f6y64di]P260908_23.05.JPG[/attachment:3f6y64di]

Thought I'd dig this build thread out of the dungeon, I'm going back up to the workshop tomorrow to take the dust covers off it and carry on with the work...got a couple of bits in the post today, an E36 auto dim rear view mirror (I didn't say they were exiting!) and some air ducts off a G60 I think. How are they held in on the wheel end? Does anyone know if I need brackets or anything?

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP190908_18.32.JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]Corrado92.pdfP160208_15.26[01].JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP080109_22.58.JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfrear view mirror.JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP121108_19.29[01].JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]P121108_19.34[02].JPG[/attachment:2d3meofa]

I've got a few more toys up at the workshop, I'll post more pics up soon.... :D

Few more pics, just for reference... :D

ETKA Corrado.pdfP090109_13.21[02].JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP090109_13.27.JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]Corrado92.pdfP090109_13.13[01].JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP090109_13.18.JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP090109_13.14[01].JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP090109_13.20[01].JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]P090109_13.21[02].JPG[/attachment:180acgvb]

those brembos look lovley kip, as do the struts.. top work..

cheers mate, I'll have them all on soon, cleaning all the arches next week, new brake lines put into place and then all the suspension hooked up so the car can be put back on the ground and moved over to the lift, engine's coming out and then Jon's getting on with the loom etc

bet you were pleased to get up there and see it after a while!

That, my friend, is a massive understatement. :D

Yeah my lovely wife complains when I put car bits in the dishwaser to clean them, but it doesn't half work well :grin:

Yeah my lovely wife complains when I put car bits in the dishwaser to clean them, but it doesn't half work well :grin:

:lol: haha - best parts washer in the business! :wink:

Got a rust free rad support panel last weekend from carl (bigpantsbaby), top bloke, and had a peek at his R32 install 8) .

Got it back from being coated today, also got a new maf, radiator, and fans. An expensive month....

Now I have to do is make up a bracket to mount the fans onto the radiator, Crazydave on this forum has exactly the right sort of bracket, but unfortunately it only fits the rear of the rad as per where the fans usually are, I'm sticking these in front of the radiator to allow for extra clearance behind it. So time to start measuring and drawing and then off for laser cutting.Corrado92.pdfP160109_12.50.JPG[/attachment:3brmkwx0]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP160109_12.52.JPG[/attachment:3brmkwx0]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP160109_16.34.JPG[/attachment:3brmkwx0]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP160109_16.37[03].JPG[/attachment:3brmkwx0]P160109_16.38.JPG[/attachment:3brmkwx0]

support panel is looking spanking matey nice one :)

haev arranged to pick that MAF up on sunday morning btw, so i'll see you as soon as i get to yours from bristol :D

Nice one mate, I'll find out later but I've got a feeling the airbox they have supplied with the engine is wrong :bad-words: which is why the MAF doesent fit. I should have checked that first really but didn't think of it :roll: Hopefully I can return this MAF I've not broken the seal.

Nice one mate, I'll find out later but I've got a feeling the airbox they have supplied with the engine is wrong :bad-words: which is why the MAF doesent fit. I should have checked that first really but didn't think of it :roll: Hopefully I can return this MAF I've not broken the seal.

Forget that , just checked the part no's the airbox is fine :D The maf you had is from a 2.8 golf :shrug: Motors in motion who I got the stuff from are absolutely sh1te, they took my money no problems but getting them to send me the all the correct parts that were supposed to have come with the engine was and obviously still is- a nightmare. :onfire: If I ever buy an engine again, I'm hiring a van and getting it myself with all the parts.

Got the new radiator placed up yesterday, the second small fan won't fit in front of the radiator next to the large one which is a shame. Hopefully I can send it back without any problems.

I'm also running a thick power cable to the Corrado fusebox and putting extra relays on it for the headlights- and obviously better quality cable in the loom to the headlights and fogs. So no relays in the open in the engine bay. Then once that's done the loom can be sleeved and the engine's coming back out again for the loom and new brake lines etc to be fitted.

Got a washer bottle from a mk2 Diesel which fits perfectly on the LHS of the bay and looks totally like it was made for the gap, although I need to move some of the pipework going to the carbon cannister which is no big deal. It has a cut out for the carbon cannister itself though, and a mounting 'lug' which matches a hole in the chassis leg- are Mk2's chassis legs the same? It is a large capacity too which I like, and if I later decide to have headlamp washers, it's got an extra hole in there for a second larger pump.

As far as the brake cooling ducts go, the VR wheel arch liners have all the return flanges on them for the ducts to be mounted to, they just never put the hole in :shrug: So all I have to do is cut the holes out- the flanges mark out exactly where they need to be :grin:

Corrado92.pdfP170109_14.38.JPG[/attachment:2ucby9pr]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP170109_15.08.JPG[/attachment:2ucby9pr]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP170109_17.00.JPG[/attachment:2ucby9pr]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP170109_14.45[02].JPG[/attachment:2ucby9pr]P170109_14.45.JPG[/attachment:2ucby9pr]

indeed...when is it going to hit the streets?

Hi mate, hopefully in Febuary sometime :shrug: , I'm not changing the inside at all but I have to take all the interior out to waxoil it all, and there is a few bits of rust starting on the arch lips where stones have taken the paint off, i'm going to address these now before they get worse, still that little lot should only take a couple of extra days. :grin: Oh having said all that, i still have to send my ECU off to VAG doctor to get the fault codes sorted, judging by how long it's taken Pete to sort his out, it may be longer!!

coming along very very nicely 8)

Cheers mate!! how's yours coming along?

Just been stripping a spare ABS unit and cleaning it up ready to swap over with the one on the car.. There was so much sludgy crap in the line filters (the ones held in place by the little unions screwed into the manifold block) it must have been affecting the braking on the donor car. So I went up to the workshop and tried to take on off mine to see if they were in the same state, but couldnt pull the little fella out.

Took all the unions and a few other bits off to get plated. Unfortunately you cant get the whole of the pump mechanism apart to enable me to get that plated, so i've ended up painting it with brake caliper paint.Corrado92.pdfP220109_14.28[01].JPG[/attachment:1j12hs7y]P220109_14.29[02].JPG[/attachment:1j12hs7y]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP220109_14.28[02].JPG[/attachment:1j12hs7y]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP220109_20.46[01].JPG[/attachment:1j12hs7y]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP220109_20.46.JPG[/attachment:1j12hs7y]