KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Cheers Abdul, I originally was told from the sellers it was from an Audi TT, but I'm thinking actually it was from an A3 3.2, Yeah i prefer it to the Golf ones which look a bit plain IMO, and don't fit the Audi MAF anyway..

Really looking forward to getting it totally finished and sorted, all the little bits that make it spot on.

Did you literally just sand down and paint?

I think I'm going to do the same as my slam panel has some surface rust around the screws etc...

Cheers :)

i do like my shiney slam panel, but i also like that, i need to get mine repainted, the top is great as i polish and wax it, but the underside has rusted.

Did you literally just sand down and paint?

I think I'm going to do the same as my slam panel has some surface rust around the screws etc...

Cheers :)

I had the whole panel blasted and then powder coated black ages ago so it's always been black since the engine conversion.

Then I decided to have a black grille, and when this was on I thought it would look better with the strip that runs under the headlights in black too - only the same texture as the grille. So I decided to spray that textured, and whils't I was at it I thought I would do the slam panel too.

yeah just key in the surface with some 400. Light coats are esp important- or it pulls on concave corners.

Stunning Rado, love the attention to detail, not quite so keen on the interior :o

Was surprised to read >> "After the summer who knows, I may have to sell it to help build the garage. I really want to build my own car now"

What sort of money are you talking?

Cheers pal, not really sure what is going to happen in the future, I'm going to do everything I can to enable me to keep the car and build the garage, but I will at the very least have a good summer in it, then possibly put it back to standard bar the engine conversion- I kind of regret modding a storm!

As for an amount, god knows what it's worth, I have no idea.

- I kind of regret modding a storm!

I wouldnt mate.... Storm is just a trim spec at the end of the day, id never change the colour of mine because I think it ould loose some identity but you have refined yours & modernised it to be what looks a properly great car!!

ps - if you want ill take your car, then when you have built the garage ill send my car down for you to work on. Sound good? :D

You couldn't find a better colour to change it to anyway! Everyone knows Mystic Corrados are the fastest.

Erm, let me think about your offer?

...No

Cheers Mate! I'm going to try and make it to some shows this year, put a few faces to the posts :-)

hey buddy hows it going?

sorry i've not had any time to ring you back recently - away with work at the moment and i won't be back until the end of april. glad to hear things are still going well - golf looks lovely having never seen it until now! the mk5's are soooooo much better than their previous iterations aren't they...

(and yeah, the gti's are fun!)

hope all is well anyway buddy - i'll have to nip down to see you when i get back

:)

Hey Pete yeah you should come round this way, loads has been done since your last visit. Even started clearing a space on the garage for the return of m62 rax!

Mk5 is great, engine very dull though!

---

Edited by KipVR

New wheels!! I will be adding 5x112 fitment to my discs hubs shortly to fit these. These were actually what I originally wanted but couldn't find anywhere. I'm sure there are many that won't like these (another full face design) either but hey ho!! [ATTACH]68077[/ATTACH][ATTACH]68078[/ATTACH]

5e0ce15f-8298-b099.jpgWell finally after what feels like an age of being stored due to the house building commitments coming first, my Corrado is back with me for me to finish the re-wire. It's not in the new garage yet as you can see, but this one is still better than what i'm used to. I can get the doors fully open which is good when your upside down in the footwell cursing vw's appalling fusebox mess... and I put a timber floor down so it's warm and dry when messing about under the car or at the wheels. Everything looking as it should still, already thinking about going back to a black leather interior! [ATTACH]68959[/ATTACH][ATTACH]68960[/ATTACH][ATTACH]68961[/ATTACH][ATTACH]68962[/ATTACH] Edited by KipVR

Well I've taken the engine loom out again which was a fiddly job, this time I'm going to document what I've wired to what so the car has a record with it. Just wish I'd not hurried it so much the first time round when we were moving house but you live and learn...from my recollection it wasn't actually very difficult just time consuming, especially wrapping it and getting the t pieces in the right place and orientation.[ATTACH]69057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69058[/ATTACH]

wow that wiring is admirable! wish mine was half as good lol.

Fantastic car, love reading threads like yours, really shows how a car has evolved and the thought thats gone into making it what it is.

excellent stuff!

​Tom

Bit of a late reply (never saw your post) but thanks for the compliments Tom! Trouble is the evolution never stops and the changes take me so long (too many other things on the go) the cars always in bits!

Time for an update... I was all set to sell my Corrado at the beginning of the summer, but then we've had lots of planning issues with the house/garage so I haven't needed to. I've decided though that I'd like to bank some cash and sell one of the other two cars we have so that means the Corrado is set to become a daily over the winter. So that's led to me putting a few things right that didn't matter much as a sunny Sunday car.

1. Fix sunroof, it was sitting 3mm below flush in the passenger side, turns out the guide slot bracket thingymajigs were bent on both sides, so I stripped the whole sunroof down cleaned and re-greased and now it runs super smooth again. Haven't put it back in but should now sit flush.

430e92086727831d9af25ae841e61be7.jpg

36ceacc62d5147cf855ceb1216377633.jpg

2. Headlights! You might have seen my posts in another thread but I've been working on retrofitting some projectors into a spare pair of headlights, so far so good. It's an attempt to get some better lighting without looking too different from the oem headlights, as I don't think modern looking lighting suits an old car. This is far from finished, still got the washers and self levelling to do.

db5063f32278452d103226657573ad3e.jpg

599ade907abd536654e02aa3978757a5.jpg

Halogen on the left, HID with projector on right. I've now got bulbs that are less blue, still to put them in though..

fa3552a660ee10b7e049e98551096a8d.jpg

3.Windscreen Wipers, They juddered and were slow and missed etc, so new blades, new motor, cleaned and re-greased linkage. Now they are like new again!

515a11812fefe74e63d0281e93028d97.jpg

4. Bluetooth. I really like my Alpine head unit as I think it fits with the 90's dash but I wanted some kind of wireless link to it for music and for hands free. So I bought a Kinivo, which basically acts as a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the Aux in on the back of the head unit. There is a big button that also houses the mic and I've put it in the centre console.

ad24f68a532d73f3c9f85eb896ed5f6c.jpg

5. USB charging points. I've got rid of the cigarette lighter and put USB socket in its place, so now if I'm charging something I don't hit the cable when I change gear

387a0b914633ad59c3d02cc5d49a6be8.jpg

6. Cigarette lighting socket,USB, and volt meter in glovebox. Having got rid of the one on the dash I didn't want to be without a cig socket totally, so I stuck one in the glovebox, also coz I had a spare I put another USB in there- handy for leaving phone charging whilst out of sight I suppose. Voltmeter? just because it came with the USB socket!

8b80446de48d648baeb6cd5bb67d3357.jpg

7. Put LED rear indicator bulbs in my all red rear clusters, now they actually shine amber instead of red!

https://vimeo.com/110626132

Edited by KipVR