KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Just gave it a quick polish today, and I'm just finishing off doing the sun visors in dark grey alcantara.

Still to do-

Wire in the alarm and immob, put in second set of lambdas, finish headlight wiring (I've used thicker wires and relayed near fusebox which now has a better supply), centre exhaust hanger, heater panel, paint wheels to get rid of diamond cut finish and get VW roundels (hopefully in blue/white), few more bits of interior trim, fit undertray, cut off tailpipe and replace with plain ss tube, red the rear lights, Aquapel the glass, MOT and tax! Getting close now.... :D

hey buddy - just over two weeks now then i'll be back!!!

can't wait to see you, the car, your new house etc etc!

it really does look ridiculously good pal; everything is in such good taste 8)

when i get back proper (round about the end of march), if you haven't got it finished (which sportsmans bet - you don't!), then i'll have a bit of time off to give you a hand with the various bits if you like...

you've got no excuses then!

hope all is well and you enjoyed your new year by the way!

:)

I prepped the surface by dousing some cotton wool pads in achohol cleaner (supplied) and wrapping them in a scotchbrite pad, and then scouring a up the surface a little. You then spray on the colour pigment and then the protective sealant layer which is available in matt satin or gloss. Time will tell how long lasting it is, but it'll be prettey easy to touch up.

did you use the furniture clinic kit mate, as i did a mates mk2 golf's dash from black to red and all the pastics about 3 years ago, and its still mint and he uses it every day.

hey buddy - just over two weeks now then i'll be back!!!

can't wait to see you, the car, your new house etc etc!

it really does look ridiculously good pal; everything is in such good taste 8)

when i get back proper (round about the end of march), if you haven't got it finished (which sportsmans bet - you don't!), then i'll have a bit of time off to give you a hand with the various bits if you like...

you've got no excuses then!

hope all is well and you enjoyed your new year by the way!

:)

Hi pete, I bet you're glad to be back soon! straight to the M5 too I bet. :lol: ....Yeah as expected i'm not going to finish it by the time you get back!! It would have been close though if it hadn't been for the cold weather preventing me from doing stuff... :D

Any helping hand is always appreciated mate, you can help me with the exhaust again! I have two more lambdas to squeeze in, god knows where, a lack of space was the reason they were left out in the first place, those cat's are huge.

Had a great new year thanks, and felt reasonable the next day all things considered...

did you use the furniture clinic kit mate, as i did a mates mk2 golf's dash from black to red and all the pastics about 3 years ago, and its still mint and he uses it every day.

Yes buddy I did, I bought an extra large kit. Glad to hear it's durable! Mounting the plastics into the car I expected to scratch it a couple of times but yeah it's held up well.

My overall opinion of the re-dying thing now that I've done it is that it would be awesome for restoring your leather seats to the same colour. Whilst the end result of the seats I've done is great, I'll always know that there are areas of leather that are still grey not red. Ok so you'll never see these areas unless you're a trimmer working on them but it somehow buggs the hell out of me that it feels like an unfinished job. On the other hand one of the main priorities for me was that the leather was stitched and patterned in a very oe manner, and trimmers so often get a re-trim looking very different, so the only certain way I was going to get what I was looking for was to do a re-dye. I love the oxblood colour against the mystic blue though, they go well together. When I've finished all the interior bits i'll get some good photos up of the end result.

howdy again pal - i'll defo be looking into a furniture clinic kit to re-do my own leather when i get back, so please stand by to get lots of questions from me about it!!!

also, if you have a look at my old build thread (around page 7 off the top of my head!), you'll see i got the original lambda bosses taken off and re-welded so that the lambdas crossed over eachother (think wilkinson's sword logo!) - that saved me loads of space, as i would have had clearance issues otherwise.

hopefully that might sort your issue, though obviously it will be a pain to get the exhaust on & off again!

surprised that you didn't get the bosses all sorted before now knowing you!

I would have done buddy, but it didn't look that easy and because the cats are staggered you can't cross them over wilkinson style and at the time I thought it was relitavely easy to sort it out in the ECU, but it's transpired to be a little more difficult as I have a later one. Therefore rather than sending off the ECU I thought I'd have another bash at getting the 2nd lambdas in, as i'd rather do it that way anyway. It's a bit of an arse to get the exhaust down again but hey :shrug: worse things have happened!

The Furniture Clinic stuff is perfect for restoration mate, i'll do my golf steering wheel when you come round and you can see for yourself. 8)

Well I'm onto the details now, I've decided to aim for completion in time for GTi International, nice easy pace to get on with. I might actually get it MOT'd next week just so i can drive it over to mine to get on with all the little finishing touches that need doing. Anyway, my steering wheel didn't really go with the rest of the interior, so i figured I'd make it a little more oem, and colour co-ordinate the centre at the same time.

:notworthy:

some awesome work!!!

Simply WOW :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
that center bit in red looks the bolloks.

Loving it.

Looks proper smart.

Nice one.

Thanks lads, MOT booked for next week, although I may not make it!

I'll get some decent interior pics up soon though.

Right got some better pics, although until i've actually finished the car I won't bother breaking out the SLR! Just gives you all an idea of where the car is at... Broke the rear view mirror off the windscreen today (crap glue), and sorted a PAS leak.

Everything ties in perfectly, except the wheels. They are nice but I just cant think that your car needs something a bit more special. Dont know what though.

I love the car and what you've achieved it genuinely is superbly thought out and executed. I almost feel unworthy to offer any comment that is anything but truly positive however I must agree that the wheels sadly let the car down and it is such a shame not to have something more appropriate to the Corrado. I accept brake clearance may prove a challenge but that said the Compomotive MOs for example whilst far from showy offer an OE look with good clearance.

looking fantastic :salute: when i dyed my seats n cards someone said to me why not go for the oxblood red colour ? .at the time i thought no it will be to much , but looking at yours , it looks great . i have to do mine again because of some contamination off my hands ? got on the drivers seat and the colour started to come off even with the satin sealer on , it wore on the piping [porka seats] . may go for the red now :lol:

looking great as always pal :D

the wheels do look loads better in the flesh, but still not very OEM.

i'm warming to the non-diamond turned finish you were on about - really looking forward to seeing what they'll look like after that...

Thanks guys! The leather looks much better in the flesh, as do the wheels but I must admit I've always been unsure about the wheel style, but I'm absolutely certain that they will look 100 times better without the diamond cut finish on them so I won't change until i've tried it. If I'm wrong then I'll stick some CH's on it, as they look relitavely oem but my RX's were so heavy and weak (went through 3 wheels in 5 years) its really put me off BBS, but I like them on the Corrado.

I do not understand the engineering reason for the red. Is the red pigment less heavy than the black? :lol:

seriously though, what made you go for the red interior?

Very bored of black.

Don't like beige.

Already own a car with grey.

Always wanted red. (looks way darker in the flesh)

really impressive. Credit to your efforts. I'm also not a big fan of the wheel design but your attention to detail does mean that the finish is impeccable. Taste is all personal preference anyway. The alcantara roof is excellent, and i'm sure it doenst feel like you're sitting in a 90s VW coupe. Do you have any shots of the dash? Keep the pics coming!

this is awesome

cheers kempy!

really impressive. Credit to your efforts. I'm also not a big fan of the wheel design but your attention to detail does mean that the finish is impeccable. Taste is all personal preference anyway. The alcantara roof is excellent, and i'm sure it doenst feel like you're sitting in a 90s VW coupe. Do you have any shots of the dash? Keep the pics coming!

Hold out judgement on the wheels until you've seen what I'm going to do with them :norty: I'm hoping they'll look loads better :)

I've still got undersides and stereo to put into the dash once I've finished installing the alarm etc (more like sorting out the complete mess made by the dealership). So I'll get some better pics of that once I've finished. Does feel a little newer I suppose, but it's not drastically different.

awesome mate. i hope to see this about once youve got it completed! :D
I'll probably take it to a couple of meets just to say hello to some of the people on here, you'll have to pop along :D

Cracking thread,

How did you get on with the drivers side sun visor?

Rams

Fine no problems really, I didn't trim round the drivers mirror though as I never use it. I have just discovered though that when i put the passengers one down the light comes on and then if you push it up to the screen it blows the fuse so I think the current tracks inside are wrong somehow :censored: If you have any idea how long it too me to hand stitch them!