Sign in to follow this  
Dee-Vub

Fuel pump gone?

For some reason my fuel guage has stopped working so i had done 250 miles since i last filled the tank. Due to the guage not working i though i'd better stick 20 quid in to be on the safe side.

So stuck in 20 quids worth of super at tesco and after only about a minute of driving it died. I came of the roundabout and when i got up to 4th gear, put the foot back down...but nothing happened. The revs just fell as i came to a stand still and the car died.Tried to start it but just cranks and doesnt fire.

Checked the spark and its fine. But checked to see if any fuel was getting to the rail and it doesnt look like it when i am turning it over.

I checked the fuse, checked the relay, both fine...checked the voltage at the connection where it goes to the pump and getting 10 volts.

Also tried bypassing everything and putting a connection from the battery straight to the pump but nope still no luck! No signs of the pump kicking in and car still wont start!

So, looks like the pump has gone! Has anyone replace the fuel pump on there motor before? Or anyone had a similar problem??A bit of instruction would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

If you've got a VR then the pumps do die and they're not too hard to swap, but the different engines have different pump setups...

For some reason my fuel guage has stopped working so i had done 250 miles since i last filled the tank. Due to the guage not working i though i'd better stick 20 quid in to be on the safe side.

So stuck in 20 quids worth of super at tesco and after only about a minute of driving it died. I came of the roundabout and when i got up to 4th gear, put the foot back down...but nothing happened. The revs just fell as i came to a stand still and the car died.Tried to start it but just cranks and doesnt fire.

Checked the spark and its fine. But checked to see if any fuel was getting to the rail and it doesnt look like it when i am turning it over.

I checked the fuse, checked the relay, both fine...checked the voltage at the connection where it goes to the pump and getting 10 volts.

Also tried bypassing everything and putting a connection from the battery straight to the pump but nope still no luck! No signs of the pump kicking in and car still wont start!

So, looks like the pump has gone! Has anyone replace the fuel pump on there motor before? Or anyone had a similar problem??A bit of instruction would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

if you can wait a couple of weeks i will be replacing my fuel pump in my VR...

if you have a VR or late G60 you are more than welcome to my old pump on the cheap if it will get you going again...

If you have a 2.0 16v, I have a pump you can have on the cheap too. Whole pump assembly with fuel lines in fact! :salute:

Was that the one you thought might go in your 1.8? if this chap doesn't want it, how much is it going for?

aye sorry lads yeh it is a VR....so they are quite prone to going? doesnt surprise me to be honest since it is a 13 year old car.....so by the symptoms i have and checks i have done....do you reckon its definitely the fuel pump?

What about upgraded fuel pumps, i take it wouldnt really be worth my while since the engine mods are relatively minor......full system and a carbonio.

iv seen a fuel pump on ebay, so think i am just going to go for that....i need it to be at mines for next thursday cos thats when i am back onshore and will want to get it sorted the day i get home.

Are there any decent guides or descriptions as to the change.....i have took the plate off to have wee gander and noticed a sort of ring type cap, how does this come off. I had a screwdriver against one of the bars and hammering it but it didnt want to budge, screwdriver just dug in.

Cheers folks

Firstly, you want to see if you've got a Pieburg or VDO pump (it'll say on the white under the metal plate). If it doesn't match whatever the replacement one you've got is, you'll need to swap the pump, float and sender. If it does match, then you can just swap the sender over.

FYI - new ones from VAG are VDO, so if you've got a Pieburg one, you need a sender and float too (another £40 or so I think, canne remember).

You'll also probably some 12-14mm fuel hose clamps, as I think the factory ones are crimped-on one-time use things.

To swap the pump...

Take the metal cover plate off.

Unscrew the big black ring (ooh err) - it'll probably damned tight, so you need to give it some abuse with a hammer

Disconnect the fuel hoses from the white plate

Remove white plate and the rubber seal

Get your hand down to the pump in the bottom of the tank and unscrew it - it's a bayonet fitting like a lightbulb. Again, it'll probably be damned tight, so you'll need to twist it hard to get it to come out.

Fitting is the reverse :)

Legend!!! but fuck i cant check! i'll try and get a mate to go in past mines today and check for me!

Thanks very much for that, will crack on to it when i get home!

I dont know much about the float and sender, but when i take the pump out, will the float and sender come out with it??

And also....sorry to be a right nuisance, but are there two seperate part numbers for the pierburg and VDO?

Great help once again guys, the CF always comes up trumps :D

The float and sender is physically attached to the pump in the tank, so it comes out as one piece.

The Pierburg and VDO pumps have different part numbers, but alas I'm not quite geeky enough to know what they are :lol:

Either way, it's fairly obvious as they've got VDO or Pierburg stamped on them. I've got a pic of the two different types side-by-side at home somewhere (you might even be able to find the pic if you do a search).

Nice one i have a lad going in past tonight to check to see what my one is and to take a note of the part number.

BTW.....since my fuel guage has stopped working, is it possible the float or sender has gone kapoot? cos i'd really like to kill two birds with one stone here.

So even if they do match, i'll still need to keep the sender from my original pump??? How come, is it due to the fact its likely the replacement wont come with the sender, or that the sender is unique to the ecu or something? I'm not too adept with things like this not overly sure!

You've been great help dinkus, its very much appreciated!!!