Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Berkshire VAGCOM / high speed handling.

Hi,

I'm convinced my VR6 isn't pulling as hard as it should, and I'm getting some misfire in these cold mornings, so I was wondering if anyone in the berkshire area had a VAGCOM setup we can take a look at it with?

I have a suspicion my MAF is gebuggered, but think the car should work 99% with just the Throttle Position Sensor, so wonder if something else is causing problems?

Also I'm finding that the handling is a little "light" at high speeds, the steering doesn't seem to have the heavy centre-weighting and confidence I expect from the car. It's consistent, however, so I don't think anything's loose, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best places to do a funky 4-wheel geometry thing in the berkshire area (or reasonably near).

Ta muchly,

Matt.

AMD are in Bicester (Oxon), not a 100 miles away, and they are sposed to have a very good set-up for geometry.

Can't help you with the VAGCOM though :(

Thera

My 16v had a similar handling change recently 'light' on long sweeping bends. Turned out to be play in the rear wheel bearings (they weren't noisy). Changed both of them and it cured the light handling.

Worth checking as a fairly easy fix

neil

94 Flash Red 16v

I've got new rear wheel bearings - I've noticed that before...

I will check them again, but they were fine a couple of weeks ago.

AMD seem to advertise 4-wheel alignment, but not suspension geometry (i.e. cast/camber)..

Have you ever had the rear axle bushes replaced? If they're worn out, the whole back end "floats" somewhat more than it's supposed to and can make cornering a bit light and unpredictable... :?

Also, check your front tyres aren't wearing in the middle. 36 (factory setting) psi at the front is way too much. It caused my bridgestones to wear in the middle, causing a dead feel on the dead-ahead. I now run mine at 32 and 30.

The engine won't run at 99% with just the TPS, using that the ECU makes a best estimate. It needs both the MAF and TPS to run optimally, otherwise why bother with a MAF in the first place?

Kev

I have brand new tyres on the front, pair of goodyear eagle F1s, on known straight, true 15" speedlines.

The rear axle bushes were replaced last year...

AMD seem to advertise 4-wheel alignment, but not suspension geometry (i.e. cast/camber)..

yup, your right, sorry about me :oops:

Thera

It doesn't feel so bad in a corner, it's just vague about the straight-ahead, in fact.

It moves about like it's windy when I'm going in a straight line on the motorway, even when I know it's not. Not by much, but just slightly...

It's driving me nuts this car!! :(

It doesn't feel so bad in a corner, it's just vague about the straight-ahead, in fact.

It moves about like it's windy when I'm going in a straight line on the motorway, even when I know it's not. Not by much, but just slightly...

It's driving me nuts this car!! :(

Mine does exactly the same thing, despite having all 4 springs and dampers done in September and the wishbone bushes. It also doesn't like lorry ruts, swerving unnervingly in and out of them.

Well an old MK2 I had used to do exactly that also and it turned out to be a worn offside lower ball joint. You can't really tell it's knackered without levering a bar between the hub and wishbone - or by suffering the symptoms above. So might be worth checking your balls.

K

Mine does exactly the same thing, despite having all 4 springs and dampers done in September and the wishbone bushes. It also doesn't like lorry ruts, swerving unnervingly in and out of them.

Well an old MK2 I had used to do exactly that also and it turned out to be a worn offside lower ball joint. You can't really tell it's knackered without levering a bar between the hub and wishbone - or by suffering the symptoms above. So might be worth checking your balls.

K

Ahem!

Mines the same on lorry ruts.

Yes, I wondered about the ball joints too.. This might explain drifting tracking too...

Smeg. More money. Not so much on bits, just on labour really..

Will have to get that checked out. Along with the rear wheel bearings and so on...

Matt.

Don't you need to get the cast/camber adjusted after changing the ball joints or something?

I remember reading something like that, I'm sure...

Now I think of it, I have a slight clunk noise when pulling out of my parking space at work... Usually that involves reversing out, then going forwards.. Could be the ball joint shifting under the change in loading.

That's been happening for a while, I put it down to general crapness of erm.. well..

Actually I tried not to think about it on the whole!!

M.

Yeah the bottom ball joints is where you get your camber from, so after their replacement, yep you would need the camber resetting. If you were considering going to AmD for laser surgery, might be getting both done in one hit?

Well, drove mine into work today along the cr@ppy 45 mile single carriageway and it was all over the place. I'm pretty positive it's the ball joints.....they're cheap from G&S. Labour isn't too bad, an hour for both plus camber alignment.

K

What's AMD's labour rates?

And how much are genuine VW ball joints? The GSF ones are 3rd party, and at only £11.25 you've gotta wonder if they're up to the job of controlling 1.2 tonnes of car in a corner!?

What's AMD's labour rates?

And how much are genuine VW ball joints? The GSF ones are 3rd party, and at only £11.25 you've gotta wonder if they're up to the job of controlling 1.2 tonnes of car in a corner!?

Stealth use G&S ones and so far, no problems. I'd prefer to use VAG too, especially as I get on with the parts people and get inpromptu discounts :lol:

Well I've booked my car in for 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS3 on Saturday and an MOT (only 2 months overdue!) so I might get a pair of BJs for them to throw on too.

K

Eagle F1 GSD3?? Didn't think they were available for 205/50/15's...

The tyre chap seemed to think they exist. I did quadruple check with him that they are definitely 205/50/15 86V. He said they were and not the GSD2s or the MK1 F1s.....but the 3s We shall see on Saturday!

Kev

Goodyear's web site still says "only available in GSD2 pattern" last time I looked..

http://www.goodyear.co.uk/services/tyre ... _gsd3.html

Yup, still says "Eagle F1-GS-D2 design". Still excellent tyres, just pretty sure they won't be gsd3.

Aha, you're quite right. The tyre man just called me to advise I will be getting D2s, not D3s. His supplier gave him some duff info. Am I right in thinking the D2s have a stiffer sidewall than the D1s? I used to have D1s and they had a really soft side wall, causing screeching in the dry at moderate pace.

K

I wouldn't know about that...

Re: the handling thing - have you considered that it might be a wheel bearing?

It's hard to tell on the front wheels cos of the axle holding the wheel relatively still, is what I've heard.

Could be the bearings but I haven't got the familiar groaning noises that go with it..... I've checked the play on the steering and the tiniest movement of the steering wheel is mirrored by the road wheels. I've also had it on the axle stands and there's no tie rod or top mount play at all. So it's gotta be the BJs or possibly wheel bearings.

K

Me too, apart from the axle stands bit...

I don't have any noise from the bearings either, so it's a tricky one to call.

I'm in two minds about where to take it to get this looked at, tbh. AMD? Local place? Do I get them to look at it? Or do I just book it in and tell them to replace the BJs anyway, on the basis that if they've not gone yet they will soon...

Of course, once the BJs have been done, cast and camber must be re-set anyway...

Damn, complicated, eh!? :scratch:

It might just be a simple geometry issue, it's suprising what effect it has if it's slightly out. Having said that, I'm pretty sure it's the BJs because my old MK2 was the same. The front end would also get very light under acceleration and dead ahead steering was weird. After a few months of that, the BJ had gone completely so that during right handers, the movement of the BJ caused the back to feel like it was stepping out. It wasn't, just felt like it was. Quite scary!

I would take it to a local bodyshop to the the alignment done. Most are now equipped with proper 4 wheel laser kit.

K

Dr-mat, just picked up a pair of BJs from VAG for £25 + VAT, but that's with 10% CCGB discount. They're about £15 each without.

Part number - 1H0407365

Just so you know....

Kev