Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Berkshire VAGCOM / high speed handling.

Thanks kev, useful to know. Not too bad, think I'll be doing the same on monday.

Got it booked into a local bodge-shop.. :)

They can't do a full cast/camber setup, but as long as they put it back how it *was* it should be fine.

If it's not 100% I'll get it properly cast/cambered elsewhere.

Same here. I'm going to get them to mark the wishbones in relation to the existing BJs and then get it all laser aligned etc at a later date.

They should have a simple camber guage at least, which is just an adjustable set-square type thing with a digital readout.

K

And the latest news (for those following this epic tale) is ...

... no problems found...!! :?

They *did* find that one of my nice new Eagle F1s was pumped up to 45 psi though!! :shock:

That's the last time I assume that a tyre fitter has done the job correctly!!

Lowered it to a sane pressure and the initial impressions are good. I'll test some more (it always does to reserve judgement about a Corrado), but the 8 miles I did this morning suggest it's improved greatly!

To follow-on from the above tale of woe, I think I've finally got it sussed.

Initially the majority of my problems were caused by a combination of having mismatched front tyres (one Avon ZV1 directional and a Uniroyal non-directional), AND badly adjusted tracking. The place that were adjusting it apparently can't read their guages.

Then I got a new pair of Goodyear Eagle F1s fitted, and found that it improved matters a little, but not much. Then I discovered that the driver's side front wheel was

a) at 45psi!!!

b) incorrectly balanced

c) had loose wheel bolts!!!

So on correcting all these three issues (you're damn right I got them rebalanced for free!), it's improved matters a hell of a lot. The bolts weren't VERY loose, so it was taking the full weight of the car in a corner to shift it, but it was noticeable how much tighter it felt when I did the bolts up just a half-turn.

The tracking is still very slightly out (last time it was tracked the bolts were loose), but it feels totally consistent now, so I'm thinking that will go away with a proper alignment.