Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

MK6 Golf GTi details + pics

Hm. So rather predictably the Scirocco launches with better standard equipment than the MK5 GTI, then they go and put even better versions of all that tech into the MK6 GTI, immediately dating the Scirocco barely before it's had a chance in the market.

I have to be honest and say that I think I prefer the shape of the MK5 GTI compared to the MK6. The MK6's nose seems even fatter and pointier which I'm not as keen on in the context of a Golf..

sometimes VW make me so angry :censored:

why make a specific new car (Scirocco) and a Golf which then so closely resembles it, surely punters are just going to choose the car with the best kit for the money and they'll compete against each other :cuckoo:

Yeah it's not bad. The New Rocco should do OK as the MKVI GTi won't be hitting our roads until summer next year at the earliest. Plenty of time for the Rocco to cement itself in the market place. I also suspect VW are not expecting the Rocco to be a volume car like the Golf and to be a low seller to the more enthusiast side of the market.

Nick

Ditto Rob! :luvlove:

how can you guys say it looks fat? the Mk4 was a boat in comparison to this! it has a lot more angular er... angles like the Corrado. Mmm pointy :grin:

At least it gives people a choice, the Volkswagen range really does cater for virtually everyone. Just read that the MK6 Golf is 17% cheaper to produce than the MK5, its things like this that make relatively low volume products like the Scirocco viable.

The GTi would get my vote over the Scirocco I'm afraid.

Yep, quite like that and yep, like it a LOT more than the ugly bar of chocco.

Initial reports indicate the MK6 has massively improved interior quality over the MK5 and some say it even surpasses Audi's standards, so looking forward to sampling one.

More good news is the Edition 30 / Audi S3 engine. 300hp from 5 minutes work.

...Initial reports indicate the MK6 has massively improved interior quality over the MK5 and some say it even surpasses Audi's standards...

Lets hope it's better than Jim's VW-Press-Office-loan Scirocco then, half the switchgear was hanging off the car on that.

IMO Its certainly a vast improvement looks wise over the MK5, chunkier looking front end, don't like the two single exhausts stuck right out on the corners, might have been ok if they were double each side

...Initial reports indicate the MK6 has massively improved interior quality over the MK5 and some say it even surpasses Audi's standards...

Lets hope it's better than Jim's VW-Press-Office-loan Scirocco then, half the switchgear was hanging off the car on that.

Perhaps a little unfair there David - I didn't find the switch gear to be that bad. It all felt fairly solid to me.

best since the mk1 and mk2 golfs i think, although releasing that just makes the scirocco look like a golf thats been trod on and squashed a bit :lol:

best since the mk1 and mk2 golfs i think, although releasing that just makes the scirocco look like a golf thats been trod on and squashed a bit :lol:

agreed! think it looks pretty good although slightly bulbous front bumper.. would be interesting to see the 2 side by side, and the price of the golf.....

Perhaps a little unfair there David - I didn't find the switch gear to be that bad. It all felt fairly solid to me.

yeah, OK, I'm exaggerating, but the drivers door window switch was popping out of the trim and wouldn't clip back in and at least one other switch was a bit dodgy, can't remember which, I had a good fiddle around :) sort of thing you'd expect more from Vauxhall.

I know the Audis aren't built down to a price so much, but with the exception of steering wheel stalks they always seem to have much better trim fit and feel, surely VW could learn from even one or two generations ago Audis, it's not like they're a secretive competetor, perhaps it's to make sure every VW owner aspires to an Audi someday :shrug: