Sign in to follow this  
Tedb

Fuel Pump 2.0l 16V Corrado 9A

Was driving in heavy Traffic couple of days ago and after 45 mins or so of moving very slowly I began to hear a buzzing sound which got louder and louder until the car shunted a bit then cut out altogether along probably the busiest street in the city.... Lovely. Thankfully it started almost immediately and the sound had gone. Same thing happened next day although buzzing was nothing as loud, the traffic was very light and the car did not cut out. I It has also occurred intermittently this morning.

I suspect this is the Fuel Pump as the noise seems to be coming from around there. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it that the Fuel Pump is overheating or something like that? Finally does anyone know if these things can be repaired? If not, is it a Bosch Part or and does anyone have the part number and could you recommend a place to purchase one? The pump has never been replaced so I know it's the original pump fitted to the car.

Cheers.

Sounds like a dodgy pump. Have you changed the fuel filter recently? If these get really clogged up they can cause the pump to struggle.

nick

Try the filter before you get the pump repaired. A new one is in the region of £100+. Boost Monkey has a second hand one with good mileage

HI

This also depends on which pump it is. Am I right in saying there is a fuel lift pump in the tank and another pump just behind the filter under the car. I had the lift pump go, which makes the other pump whine cos it has no fuel to pump.

Just my 2 penneth but worth bearing in mind.

Dic

Had the Fuel Filter replaced approx 1 year ago and have only put up about 5k miles since so it's unlikely to be this, I think there is another pump in the tank all right, I will have a look and see, how did you or your mechanic access the Lift Pump, did you have to remove the tank?

Cheers

no just inside the boot. there is a round panel to remove, then pull it out.

There is also a black locking ring that you'll have to unscrew, mallet and a large slotted screwdriver should do it although mine wont budge!!

Anyone got any tips on getting off a seriously stuck one!?