Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Revs rise when changing gear

I never had this problem on my old VR but I have noticed when I change gear and depress the clutch the revs rise momentarily. Vag-com reports no faults so what could it be? Sticky throttle cable perhaps? The throttle is definately more stiff than my old one. :?

That is interesting. We must both be ultra sensitive Cnut, or avid rev counter geeks.

I started a post about this several years ago.

No one could relate to it.

I eventually decided it must be idiosyncratic to the car. I renewed the throttle cable and it made no difference. I think the car is meant to be like this. I thought it might be an engineered device to stop the engine stalling on gear change.

The phenomenon is so slight that I believe most would not notice it. My wife did not notice it (but she does not really count does she? - her bein' a farmer's daughter 'n' all, who learnt to drive on a tractor.)

I have forgotten about it, really.

I always believe the fuel consumption will let you know if something of this nature is amiss.

As the car behaves beautifully and I get 34mpg on long runs and 24-27 in stop start urban traffic I have not thought about it for a while.

Maybe this time someone will come up with the answer.

Thanks for making me feel less abnormal in observing and reporting this quirk!

Hi Craig, well I must say I have only noticed it on my current VR6 and my old VR6 had no such symptons. I took it out for a quick run earlier and I have observed that when I depress the clutch with no throttle it doesn't do it at all. It only does it whilst changing gear after being on the throttle. The revs rise about 500 rpm and then drop again once in gear. It's very odd almost like there is a delay on the throttle closing. The TPS might be another consideration...

The only other car I have driven that has the same characteristic is a MK4 Golf R32! I have noticed you have a Storm which is what I have too, so maybe it is a Storm thing?!

The car is driving fine and like you I get around the same mpg. I just find the whole revs rising experience a bit frustrating!

I was frustrated by it, too, but like a 4th to 5th gear graunch on a new 1.3 Polo I had in 1987, you get used to it and as you drive, over the months it appears to become less significant!

Imagine noticing it on an R32, as well. Weird.

As I suggested, maybe someone with a high degree of VR6 knowledge may be able to offer something, but no one could when I initially raised the subject.

Doh! Wots TPS, please?

Mine does it too, if I mis-time my gear change.. ;) It's just minor timing differences between cars. Let's face it there's a lot of inlet manifold between the throttle and the cylinders on a VR, so there's a lag between even sharp throttle operations and what actually gets to the engine. Plus there's a damper on the throttle housing the prevents the throttle slamming shut.

TPS throttle position sensor.

I wouldn't worry about it, just learn to get off the throttle sooner and the problem will go away.

Could be a sticking throttle cable though.. had this on my G60 and it was so noticable and so unusual I was convinced it was a genuine engine fault. New throttle cable sorted it though. Used to be worse in the morning, when it was cold - got better after about 10 minutes of driving usually.

Could be cable in some cases, Jim.

I replaced cable with well lubricated new one with no difference.

dr-mat - predictably provocative!

Mis-timing gear change? Wonder if my driving instructors of 36 years ago are still around to receive complaints? lol!

I noticed this the other week.Greased the throttle cable but it made no difference. Mine turned out to be the throttle pedal catching slightly on the fuse cover making it slow to return back to its original position. just trimmed a couple of mm off the back of the cover and has been fine ever since. Try removing the the fuse cover and see if it still does it.

Nothing wrong with the timing on my gear changes ;) If there was I would have had the same symptons on my old VR! I'm determined to get to the bottom of this, it definately seems more electrical than mechanical related.

I guess it all depends how extreme your "revs rise" is. When it happens to mine it's just a case of a couple of hundred rpm then it drops back. Plus it will depend on what rev range you're in in the first place. If you're on light throttle at 1500 rpm and you drop off, the revs won't drop back straight away and that's deliberate.

Tbh if the ECU scans clean and there's no obvious physical reasons why the throttle might not close quickly enough I really think it's just "one of those things" and you shouldn't worry about it so much..! :)

Its not just VR's that do it, my 1.8 16v does it. I think its the actual pedal not coming back up straight away when you take your foot off it...well thats my car anyway.

by cdem on 03.10.2008, 13:27

Its not just VR's that do it, my 1.8 16v does it. I think its the actual pedal not coming back up straight away when you take your foot off it...well thats my car anyway.

Like i said, look around by the accelerator (Spelling?) pedal. mine was catching at the back on the fuse panel cover causing the same symptoms and mines a 2.0 16v