Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Component Speakers couple of questions.

Firstly the crossovers. Now I understand they split the signal between the bass/mid and the tweaters. But why do you need these in the Corrado as you have separate wiring for tweaters and the door speakers?

Secondly what are the deapest speakers you can fit in the doors of a late spec car?

Thirdly thank you very much :D Oh and recommendations for sub 100 squid speakers are encouraged.

Matt

The Corrado's front speakers are a very basic, barely a first order crossover. Just a capacitor on the tweeter and that's it. It may seem like they have seperate wires, but all it is a wire leaves the head unit, splits at the tweeters then goes down to the door speakers.

Crossovers that come with components are proper ones, with crossover slopes engineered specifically for the drive units.

Most 5 1/4" components will fit rado doors, but don't expect a quantum leap in sound quality :D

beat me to it...

early 16v corrados only had dash mounted speakers, but I think the rest had built in crossovers for the VW units, think these were actually built into the speakers, but in any case far better to get a set of components with crossovers designed specifically for them.

The VW door pods aren't very accomodating, most drivers will stick back into the door too far and most likely be up against the door membrane, that's why a lot of people go for the audioscape door pods.

Yeah those Focals are OK ish for the money. Had them in mine before I did a balls out ICE install, and the net result was too much tinny treble, and even less bass.

The problem with the stock speakers isn't their quality (they're made by Nokia, LOL!) but rather their size and the brittle, sheeeeeite enclosures they have to work in.

The only way to get good SQ out of the Rado is to upsize to 6 1/2" woofers and better enclosures. The solution is Audioscape's door pods, but they're not cheap.

Sound Quality is subjective though and I'm pretty fussy, so I tend to go a bit over the top :D

Hmmmm I dont know what to do then as tbh I just like listening to VR/BMC roar anyway :D

If I went for the Audioscape pods would I still need to do any soundproofing on the doors or are the enclosures fully rigid/encased? If I stuck to 13cm speakers would something with bigger magnets be better or is it all much of a muchness on 13cm mids?

So what woould you guys recommend to fit in the standard door pods and dash tops? I too am wanting to upgrade my sounds but I'm not interested in changing the door pods etc. I just want some better sounds in the doors and I'll be adding a punchy 10" sub in the boot.

Nick

You will get better sound by "upgrading" but dont expect the quantum leap as Kev says.

The more you do the better the end result. No need for sound proofing but if you do the results will be more then without.

Its like adding a supercharger to your VR6 without an intercooler, it will work fine and be better than a stock VR6 but add that intercooler and you will notice a good difference.

I personally wouldn't bother with sound deadening, I did it on my old Corrado and recently transfered all my ICE into my new Corrado and guess what.... no difference at all! The only benefit it did do was eliminate any rattles I had in the door but thats nothing a bit of sticky felt won't fix! It adds weight (alot of it) and gives the door a nice clunk when shutting but thats about it.

I got a massive difference by sound deadening mine, a full bulk kit of dynamat extreme, 9 sheets in total, so 4 and half sheets per door, on the outer skin and inner framework, double and triple layered, 6 and half focal component kit in audioscape pods, sounds good to me and i am fickle with it all.

Out of curiosity cnut how much did you use, agree it gets rid of the rattles but then who wants rattles when the mid bass is coming from the speakers so all you can hear is rattles everytime you listen to the tunes and the door clunk is brill.

I used Dynamat extreme too and got the bulk pack like you. At first I was convinced it made a big difference but I personally put that down to a placebo effect now. If you take a look at the doors on the Corrado you will notice they are quite heavily sound deadended anyway as standard, so I think this plays a role in it too. Another downside to that amount of soundeadening was the hinges on my doors were begining to sag!

im not sure all the above is strictly true i run a £350 set of boston acoustics in the doors (std size) and their component tweeters in the stock positions dynamat (or cheeper alternative roofing flashing just as good) behind the door speakers

and the sound is very good punchy and crisp .

im not saying larger speakers wont improve this of course they will but for a stock look inside you cant beat my set up

If Im fitting new cabling. Is it worth ripping out the old stuff (any probs with this) Or shall I just keep it in for the future if for some reason I want to make it standard again?