Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Never forget just how great your VR is...My story

I just thought I'd post a thread for any VR6 owners that have reached a point where they are starting to get bored and thinking about what else they could drive instead....stop thinking!!

In January a sold my valver and purchased a VR, It put an unbelievably huge smile on my face but unfortunately it was a brief affair.

My low milage engine suffered a serious overheat and upon opening it up it had become apparent that I'd melted a piston :censored:

This all happened in March, I thought I'd use it as an excuse to make it quicker then it was before but I never thought I'd encounter as many problems as I did!!

Since march I've had to source and fit a low milage 2.9, fit schimmel cams, trace a mis-fire that made me fail 2 M.O.T's (turned out to be a break in the loom), fit my 288's and then spend countless weeks/months trying to find a half decent pedal (turned out after fitting a new MC and braided hoses all round that the 288 calipers were knackered from the start!!)...etc etc

It has been a nightmare from start to finish and a never ending money pit, If I was faced with it again then I'd no doubt break the car and buy another one rather then repeat what I've been through.

But.....

Every single second wasted and pound spent was worth it!!!

I've had my car back for a week now, fully road legel, a far better all round package then it was before I killed it, and the way it makes me feel is like no other car I've ever driven.

The sound, the relentless speed, the bags of tourqe, the look on the face of the RS Focus driver a few nights ago (when a 15 year old car made him look like an idiot)

I love it!!!!!!!!

Don't ever give up on your VR6 as it quite simply is irreplacable

Little pic below of my completed rebuild (after a few sheets of wet and dry)

vr6.jpg[/attachment:3hom5175]

Finally I'm back and boy how I've missed it :D

looks good mate, bet it feels good too after all te hard work.... i miss mine & its only been off the road a couple of weeks

:(

So it's not just me then. I thought I was the only one tipping my entire wallet into all-motor rebuilding & tuning these days. We must both be masochists.

But if you feel like the worst is over, have a look at the attachment. This is how bad it can be. This is my costs, excluding tax, insurance & petrol since last summer.

John

Two.

Don't go there... the second bill was significantly reduced following what I'll refer to as some "aggressive negotiation"

The short version is that 4 weeks after the first build the engine suffered an oil leak (stone through the oil cooler) but then whilst that was being fixed the car was 'borrowed' and driven, suffering major internal damage. My costs were all non-rebuild related actually (new oil cooler, power steering pump + a bunch of other stuff) but it was easier to call it a rebuild.

In fact I've just noticed I've missed the cost of the Schimmel cams it now has in it - add another £300 including fitting. Revision attached :( Admittedly the car is great now, aside from all the bodywork issues! What is almost as depressing as the costs is just the sheer regularity that it's had to have bits done. It's a shame you can't get clubcard points for these things really.

And before you ask - yes if I'd known beforehand I would almost certainly have gone and bought something else...

knowing the way it's driven I understand all that! :lol:

Back on Topic, a heartening story Banana!

LOL I agree. His engine looks lovely. I didn't even get any polishing included for all that money! I also thoroughly approve of the CDA filter :wink:

Thanks for the positive comments and taking the time to read my little story,

just thought I'd share my happiness with the forum

Corozin, that bill absolutely takes the biscuit! Makes me feel a hell of a lot better.

When done right though, let's face it, you just cant beat 'em can ya

Thanks for the positive comments and taking the time to read my little story,

just thought I'd share my happiness with the forum

Corozin, that bill absolutely takes the biscuit! Makes me feel a hell of a lot better.

When done right though, let's face it, you just cant beat 'em can ya

a touching story I must say sir! Brought a slight tear to my eye as I gripped my iPhone Reading your thread word for word jus hanging on to each and every sylabol wondering what's gonna happen next!....... And the happy ending..... Jus makes it complete! JK Rowling eat ur heart out bitch! Naa jokes mate I love the motor keep up the good work! :)

Tombell999 you really are a bender, coming from somebody who sent me a step by step photo update of you spray painting a rocker cover, I thought you'd enjoy my little story.

You were more excited then I was when I got it back on the road :D

Two.

Don't go there... the second bill was significantly reduced following what I'll refer to as some "aggressive negotiation"

What the hell spec engine do you have for that moola? :shock:

ummm.... No tom u were jus as excited as I was u were trying to keep it kool! I swear I did hear a little scream from u when u opened it up tho! I don't blame ya tho I was screaming ma tits off! :)

Oh God, now you've done it....... :nuts:

LOL

There is something very smile inducing about that felling of being back on the road. I'm sure that the power to weight reatio is improved by the lighter wallets as well :)

Mine appears to have two rebuilds (and a new gearbox) about 4 years before I bought it so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!

Cheers,

T

LOL

Whoops.... :grin:

Ok ignore that last question.

Gotta say after owning my valver for over 2yrs now i am looking towards a VR in the future, but on the same note my car has got to the point where ive had it too long/done to much to want to get rid.

There is something very smile inducing about that felling of being back on the road. I'm sure that the power to weight reatio is improved by the lighter wallets as well

It is hugely smile inducing, unfortunately my power to weight has got worse though...as all the paper in my wallet has been replaced with coppers in my pocket :)

Gotta say after owning my valver for over 2yrs now i am looking towards a VR in the future, but on the same note my car has got to the point where ive had it too long/done to much to want to get rid.

I do know what you mean, mine was like that. For me though it was kind of an investment.

I had done so much to my valver that all I ended up doing was returning it to standard, selling the car, then selling all the shiny extra bits seperately.

That way I lost very little through owning it and could afford the VR as pretty much a straight swop.

Valvers are extremely underrated dont get me wrong, but it's because the VR is just so awesome that putting too much money into any other option just seems like treading water to me.

2 ^^

Whats up with it Chris?? Saving money?

Yeah I am just pottering around in a van @ the mo Jon :pukeright: its cack!! Had a quick check on the C this weekend but no run im affraid..... I usually tuck the C away in winter, unless I get a HOT date :lol: :lol:

Tom, that's a very inspiring story, glad I read it as I'm just about to embark on some probably rather expensive and time consuming repairs to my VR's engine...

Tom

P.S. You have a very cool name :salute:

LOL

Whoops.... :grin:

Ok ignore that last question.

The engine spec was a dream. The engine costs were a nightmare. [strike:rj9pp0ql]That's as much as I'm saying.[/strike:rj9pp0ql]

The engine spec was a dream. The engine costs were a nightmare. That's as much as I'm saying.

Make me happy tell me what power you were pushing naturally aspirated? :D